Gone Girl

dm.

• Members

tumblr_nggi47hV9k1qaho1po5_250.gif

GONE GIRL
A wife goes missing and her husband is the main suspect in her mysterious disappearance.

What did you think of the movie? I've personally loved it. Was going to read the book, but my cousin took me to see it at the movies, and now I'm not sure I'll make time to read the book, lol.

Loved Rosamund Pike as the main character!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The movie stuck pretty close to the book and I loved them both. There was only one minor character I can recall who wasn't in the movie. What made the book interesting was that Amy's diary entries were every other chapter, so you had her version of events interlaced with Nick's, but once you know the shocking twist midway through the book might not be as fun to read.

• Members

I've seen it 3 times. That sh!t stays with you. Definitely my favorite movie of the year; it was just spectacular. WHEN THE STORY SUDDENLY TURNED I DIED AND CAME BACK

My absolute favorite thing about it though was the score. Perfection. I'm so grateful they made it available for purchase. I listen to it all day.

"I am so much happier now that I'm dead.

Technically, "missing."

Soon to be presumed dead.

Gone."

• Administrator

I so wanted Amy to get her comeuppance!!! I can't believe she got away with it. Nonetheless, I really liked the movie. Poor Nick and poor Neil Patrick Harris (what a death scene! My jaw dropped at all that blood on Amy). Rosamund Pike was so good in this role and can see why she's nominated for all these awards.

What was different from the book? You can put it in spoiler tags in case someone wants to read the book.

• Members

I finally got around to watching this. It thought it was a nice bit of noir. Obviously it was filled with a million plot holes but this is one of those movie where you have to decide that you are going to go along with it or not watch at all. It's not meant to be realistic, it's meant to be a dark, twisty sort of urban legend. ("Once back in 2012 there was a guy named Nick Dunne who was accused of muuuuuurder....").

The performances were great. Rosamund Pike was wonderful. One minute she's Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally", the next she's Barbara Stanwyck in "Double Indemnity" and for some reason Ben Affleck excels at roles like this.

• Members

I'm not sure I exactly see what you mean here. I didn't feel like I had to make myself go along with it otherwise it wouldn't hold ground at all.

That is very true. Pike was phenomenal in the role. And Affleck excelled at this role because it called for him to be exactly like he appears in real life: Arrogant and smug. :lol: I'm not saying he truly is (I wouldn't know) but that's how he often comes across in many of his roles and it was a perfect fit for this character.

• Members

But it actually doesn't hold ground at all. There's a whole thread devoted to plot holes on IMDB. The biggest mainly concern everything that happened at the lake house and after. (I'm not going to go into detail for those who still haven't watched.) There are just too many ways Amy couldn't have accomplished what she did. It was easier to hand wave in the book but seeing it play out on screen really highlighted how improbable it all was.

• Members

Yeah, that's always the advantage of books over movies. I'm never sure if it's better to read the book before or after seeing a movie made from it. Purposefully or not, memories of the book always fill in the weak holes in the plot so I wonder what it would've been like to see this film unspoiled. Still I really enjoyed it. I was curious how they would show the diary version of things and I thought it was very skillfully done.

Archived