Sony execs apologize for racist Obama emails

GregNYC

• Members

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/sonys-amy-pascal-apologizes-for-obama-emails-not-who-i-am-1201377177/

Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal has apologized for racially insensitive remarks made by her and producer Scott Rudin about President Obama in a series of stolen emails that were published online Thursday.

“The content of my emails were insensitive and inappropriate but are not an accurate reflection of who I am,” she said in a statement, adding that “although this was a private communication that was stolen, I accept full responsibility for what I wrote and apologize to everyone who was offended.”

Buzzfeed published a story late Thursday containing personal emails in which Pascal and “The Social Network” producer Scott Rudin joked about Obama’s favorite movies, suggesting he would prefer those about African Americans.

“Would he like to finance some movies,” responded Rudin, when Pascal sought his advice on what she should say to the President at a Hollywood fundraiser.

“I doubt it. Should I ask him if he liked DJANGO?” said Pascal, with Rudin replying “12 YEARS.”

“Or the butler. Or think like a man?” continued Pascal, who is a major donor for the Democratic party and President Obama.

“Ride-along. I bet he likes Kevin Hart,” said Rudin.

Rudin apologized two hours earlier for the comments Thursday in a piece on Deadline, calling them “thoughtless and insensitive — and not funny at all.”

Pascal’s other published email exchanges with producers and Sony executives include derisive remarks about top talent such as Kevin Hart, Angelina Jolie and Adam Sandler.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, I don't see the big deal here. It's low brow humor shared privately. Geez, I've written far worse about any number of my elected officials. I've called John Kasich and Rob Portman everything but a child of God. I'd be damned if I'd apologize for things someone stole from me and published.

• Members

Not just that, but the other stuff leaked is not surprising. And people said Victoria Rowell was crazy. Everything she was saying was most likely true otherwise I feel like people would've denied her claims directly instead of playing like she's crazy. To me the most outrageous thing she said was how Michelle Stafford spit on her and Michelle even admitted to that and that she didn't run it over with her before they filmed the scene. I'm more interested in what we DON'T know. Things are bad in Hollywood, we just are scratching the surface.

• Members
Sony exec Rudin on Angelina Jolie:
"I'm not remotely interested in presiding over a $180m ego bath that we both know will be the career-defining debacle for us both. I'm not destroying my career over a minimally talented spoiled brat who thought nothing of shoving this off her plate for eighteen months so she could go direct a movie. I have no desire to be making a movie with her, or anybody, that she runs and that we don't. She's a camp event and a celebrity and that's all and the last thing anybody needs is to make a giant bomb with her that any fool could see coming. We will end up being the laughing stock of our industry and we will deserve it, which is so clearly where this is headed that I cannot believe we are still wasting our time with it."

• Members
Sony producer on Michael Fassbender's penis:
"Shame just makes you feel bad to have normal sized male genitalia, unless Aaron is Johnny Wad Holmes he's in for a bummer of an evening. I'd steer mark to fassbenders roles in inglorious bastards where he's basically Cary Grant, Prometheus where he's basically Peter o toole, and x men first class where he's just very very good."

• Members

"Leaked Email Alleges Racism and Sexual Harassment Horror at Sony"

http://gawker.com/leaked-email-alleges-racism-and-sexual-harassment-horro-1670318085

This is more disturbing than the Rubin/Pascal emails but not really shocking.

I don't care about what Pascal and Rubin said regarding Obama but business emails, hacked or not, are not private. Anyone with brains working for a business knows that they are the property of the business.

• Members

I don't know what it is about Angelina Jolie but something about her just makes my teeth itch. I hate saying it because she does a lot of charity work and seems like a decent person and a wonderful mom but something about her just gets my Spidey sense going. I can't explain it. Maybe it's just all that nonsense from when she was married to Billy Bob Thornton.

• Members

As always it seems like industry people who trash her end up looking even worse. I don't have much of an opinion on her, but people like this and Chelsea Handler and the rest seem toxic.

Her fears of a "debacle" also amuse me, given that Sony was apparently more than fine with obvious trainwrecks like After Earth.

Archived