SoapsGiving: 5 things soap-opera fans have to be thankful for

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess I am thankful for those five point. ph34r.pngmellow.png

OK. No I am not. mad.gif

The five points the writer made mean nothing if soaps keep making the same stupid ass mistakes they've been making for years, which will eventually lead to ratings droppings and the remaining 4 soaps being dropped:

- recycling the same writers & producers that have played a hand in demolishing fallen soaps

- disrespecting the canon of the show

- not diversifying the cast

- not telling generational stories

- focusing too much on a woman's vagina

- not giving us good character driven stories

- focusing too much on plot driven stories

- polluting these shows with stale, flat, pointless newbies with no staying power

- not telling well researched social stories

- relying heavily on played out soap tropes [long lost kids, return from the dead, WTD, etc]

- not giving the characters careers and ambitions

- giving us a good story with a strong exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement.

and most importantly.....

- THERE IS NO LOVE IN THE FREAKING AFTERNOON!!! It's all casual, meaningless bed hopping.

• Members

If not for the brief mention of The Doctors, that could have been written 2-3 years ago. It's the same crap over and over. And for a "positive" article, they sure start out with the most negative writing choice (going on about soap fans "bitching and moaning" when every major fandom is like that - sometimes worse than soap fans at this point).

That part about the websoaps actually made me LOL. Those were vanity projects five years ago, and they're still vanity projects. All the hype over Tainted Dreams - did it ever air more than one episode? It's nice to see some of my old soap favorites again, but that's about it.

If the best thing you can say about soaps in 2014 is Crystal Chappell, that's pretty sad.

• Members

There really isn't anything for soap fans to be thankful for. Anyone having anything to do with that article can take a seat.

No, I actually take my first statement back. The amount of superior material on YT is something we can be grateful for. Past soaps beat the pants off anything currently airing.

• Members

I disagree, the part about "The Doctors" is relevant as getting the reruns in 2014 has been wonderful. The other stuff, well not so much. I would have liked even with their issues how now some of the non-US soaps are legally viewable for the US audience.

• Members

Tainted Dreams was terrible! People hyped that up because there was a lot of skin and cursing. But there was no substance and it looked like it was filmed in the 90s! I have yet to see a well written, acted and produced web soap. All seem to at like they are doing something special when they play the same tired stories over and over.

• Members

I'm not going to waste my time looking at that list, but I will post a list of the 5 things I had to be thankful for this year as a soap fan.

1) All of Donna Windsor's return (Emmerdale) - The best story of the year. The most spectacular scene of the year. The best love story of the year. This return had it all and more.

2) The virus epidemic/Sarah Potts' shock death (Shortland Street) - The second best story of the year that lead to the absolute most shocking and stunning death any soap has pulled off in years. Sarah was the most popular heroine in the show's history, a ten year veteran of the show and her death was a complete secret until the episode aired. The most heartbreaking part of all was the irony that Sarah had found the cure, leading to another long time favourite being cured, only for Sarah's MS to kick in, making her too weak to fight the illness. The word "stop" has never been so utterly heart-breaking. Plus, as usual with Shorty, it gave us the best promo of the year as well.

Sarah's death

Promo

3) Cottage week (Emmerdale) - It couldn't sound any more dull, but every moment focusing on Declan's plans to kill Charity had me glued to my seat in anticipation for would happen next and it didn't disappoint, even marginally. This week also lead to the line of the year as Charity beat Declan over the head with an anchor, him drowning to his "death", and she, exasperated at almost meeting her maker, exclaiming with baited breath "You were never a match for me." Oh yeah, and a character got killed by a flare gun. A f*cking FLARE GUN! Epic. Awesome. Everything a climax should be.

4) Andy and Katie's long awaited reunion/Robert Sugden's return (Emmerdale) - If ever there was a prodigal son, Robert would be it. That the build up meant Andy actually got to get a renewed focus was all the better. Still, the best is yet to come considering all the history between Robert/Katie/Andy, Robert bringing a true Home Farm family back into the fold. Andy/Katie's wedding at Christmas, Katie's exit and Robert's bi-sexuality. The Sugdens, the first family of Emmerdale, finally feel back in the thick of it, and I couldn't be any happier. Well okay, Victoria could actually get a true story for the first time in 5 years, but other than that I'm happy as a clam.

5) Diane Parish as Denise Fox (EastEnders) - It hasn't been since the Lucas story concluded that one of the show's best actresses got her time in the sun, but this year Diane Parish has been able to break my heart countless times with Denise feeling trapped in her marriage to Ian, dealing with all his lies and now being all alone caring for her invalid pseudo father figure and (presumably) falling slowly into an alcohol addiction. Just as recently as this week, Parish was again the MVP as she got to be the "lucky" one to find her almost dead step-daughter's lost belongings and finally found out that, in addition to sleeping with a prostitute, Ian had also slept with his ex-wife "stepford frump"(©Denise Fox) Jane Beale. Let's just hope this fabulous actress doesn't get sidelined for another few years in 2015.

Archived