Straight Celebs Queer Bating??? I Call BS on that.

John

• Members

Sorry for this Rant but I got worked up a bit....

Ok Just read some real BS.

Supposedly according to this author, Straight celebs becoming accepting of Gay & Lesbian fans & saying how much they love their GLBT fans is queer-bating.

LOL, sounds to me like this author is just upset that the male celebs he speaks of arent gay.

Why do you assume they are only reaching out to the GLBT Community for fame & money? That is very judgmental isnt it? Especially since you have no idea who these celebs truly are.

I celebrate anyone who values equality. I dont care what their sexuality is.

How is it a bad thing for other straight youths to see straight celebs they love embracing people regardless of their sexuality? I see this as a huge step forward.

Anyway, What a mess this article is.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Styles and Jonas are BOTH gay, and this is their way of easing out of the closet. I mean, not every singer can be like Boy George and announce on national TV, "America knows a good drag queen when they see one". I think Franco is Bi, as well.. or bi-curious at the very least. The rest of the females mentioned. Fag Hags. What's the big deal?

• Members

There are big differences here.

If Nick Jonas is saying he might !@#$%^&*] a guy if he's drunk enough, then yes, I'd call that pandering, and silly.

Harry Styles has essentially just said, "Hey, maybe you don't have to believe in only dating one gender." That's it. That's not baiting or harming anyone. I actually think it's very sad that the author does. I think some people need to be outraged and need to be very pure.

I also think that person has no idea what the word "queerbaiting" even means. As most people don't.

Social justice warriors are always their own worst enemies.

• Members

This reminds me of Justin Timberlake on 106&Park with an audience full of black girls making a point to "casually" mention, "I gotta weakness... for da sistas", which was of course met with hoots and hollers. That was baiting and it was slimy as hell.

• Members

Ok I dont see Jonas as baiting. I think from hearing him talk he has always been for his gay fans but when he was younger it was difficult to say given his management and the purity thing,

I think the Nick Jonas we see here is the real deal and not doing it for fame & money

• Members

Since 90% of the time I seem to hear the term "queerbaiting" from women talking about homosexual men (usually fictional ones), I really don't care for it. I'd rather not watch women try to mount their fanfic while walking on my back and calling it a social issue.

There was a time not so long ago that any kind of homoeroticism in popular entertainment was actively sought and destroyed, not made overt. To me, popular celebrities and/or entertainment flirting with it or exploring it is the least of my problems as a consumer. I think it's evolution.

• Members

It's mostly women, but also a certain portion of men who have the same interests and want to sound intelligent.

For me it depends on the context. I don't have a problem with what Harry Styles said, and not with most of what Nick Jonas said. Someone like James Franco, who got leering, fawning press coverage for playing gay men, and isn't it so wonderful and wild that he plays so many gay men, wink wink wink - that does annoy me. I'm not going to give a huge creeper and attention whore a pat on the back for playing a gay character, especially when he's making a movie showcasing harmful voices like Michael Glatze, and his previous roles are being used as some type of cachet to help sell this one.

Archived