Can GH go on without Maurice Benard?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And that's my point :) if a show was willing to go on without its most popular character (who also happens to be the industry's most iconic character played by its most famous actress), why wouldn't GH forge ahead without a Sonny Corinthos? That said, Erica couldn't make or break the reboot, her absence had nothing to do with PP's bag of BTS issues that tanked them. Many fans were happy with what was playing out on screen. Years ago, I attended a forum with Agnes Nixon and some AMC actors. I asked Mrs. Nixon something to the effect of, What is it about characters like Erica and Rachel that make them stars, how is it that they become the face of their shows? I was mortified as she furled her brow and cocked her head to the side snapping, When you think of AMC do you only think of Erica? What about all of the other characters, it's not just Erica.... She misinterpreted my question but I of course never forgot how passionate she was about the old "one monkey don't stop no show" adage, even if we were talking Susan Lucci. That's why I get annoyed with stans who claim a show with fall without such and such, who is usually an actor hardly worth the adoration. We all have our favorites, but come on people. Any writer worth his or her paycheck should be able to finesse the loss of a major character and transition the show into its future.

• Members

When the ratings were bigger, and the stars were bigger daytime stars, the shows survived them exiting by having other root able characters and good stories. Days didn't fold either time Marlena left. Or Hope, Patch, etc. GL thrived without Reva. AMC survived the loss of Jenny. GH had an entire second golden era without any of their mid 1980's superstars except Felicia. In 1989, I could not have imagined GH without Anna, Frisco, Robert, Felicia. But in 1994 I didn't even miss them.

• Members

IA with Ellabelle that it isnt a fair comparison. The show only had like 4 months worth of episodes (less bc they had to stretch it out). One can say that thats not enough time to say it was a failure without Susan Lucci but at the same time, how can one say its a success?

• Members

Very fair point. I think the last time I truly felt invested in any story regarding Sonny was when he was with Tamara Braun's Carly, who played the most to his strengths. Since then it's been a slow descent to where he is now. His children, ironically don't help this. His character has aged poorly -- which is something that didn't have to happen. Sonny as a character should still have purpose, and he does at least on paper, but it doesn't translate well on screen.

• Members

Every show has lost major characters at some point and survived or even prospered back to the days of Jeff on ATWT.

Yet like in so many other areas TPTB are scared and keep characters way past their use by date,especially in recent times where 'villianous' characters are still walking around town,not having paid for their crimes.

I'm talking about you Victor Newman!!

• Members

Yes no one character makes the show. I remember when Roger Howarth left the show in 1998 at OLTL everyone thought it would tank . OLTL without him in 1999 went up in ratings and hit number 1 demos when Dorian hit and ran Jessica and it also in 2000 brought Emmy nods and OLTL was nominated for best show.

• Members

GH would exist just fine. The problem over the years has been the soaps and the brass shoving people down our throats as the leads. That's why fans freak when their favorites bolt. Look at the meltdown Y&R fans had when Miller and Stafford left. Lord. If soaps were an ensemble and not "Phyllis and the Restless" "Mobster Hospital" or "Daniel of Our Lives" we'd be better off in the long-run. It's a bad ABC mentality, IMO, and it stemmed from the supercouple syndrome IMO. What they fail to realize is that supercouples were surrounded by other couples and it wasn't JUST about them.

Honestly, Benard should have gone. I'm sure he wants a paycheck, I don't blame him, but Sonny as a character is done, IMO. Have him be a supporting player since he's sticking around I guess and call it a day. This was the perfect Sonny swan song, but nooooo. Sigh. He also should have stayed gone in 1998.

• Members

I'm sure it would, but it's so bad now I prefer the familiarity of Sonny's character to the nauseous feeling I get when Franco and Nina are on my screen[which feels like every day!]. Another redemption story with Sonny[while repetitive], beats the pet shop we have to tolerate to catch the glimpses of the characters we like!

Archived