Captain (Ms.) Marvel gets her solo film!

Cheap21

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Carol's one of my favorites. I don't read or buy Marvel very much now but when I do it's usually her comics, to show some support. After she was neglected for much of the 80s and 90s, it's been nice to see her getting more of a spotlight. She's never been a big seller, but I think she could work well on the big screen. She's one hell of a character - the all-American girl, seemingly perfect, but haunted by her father's lack of support, haunted over being seen as a failure because she wasn't born a boy, haunted by, in general, just never being "good enough" - as a daughter, a secret agent, a superhero.

I can't even begin to guess who would play her. I'm just going to wait and see if we even get to that point.

This is Uncanny X-Men #182, one of my favorite Carol stories, even though she technically isn't in it. Rogue, who had absorbed not only Carol's powers, but all of her memories, hears about SHIELD agent Michael Rossi, Carol's old love, being in danger. She creates a huge incident in saving him, helping put a bigger target on the team's back (and which soon leads to Storm losing her powers for several years). This is all Carol, not Rogue. Carol's memories, personality, even her speaking voice take over the show until Michael Rossi, who has been brutally beaten and unable to properly understand what is going on, angrily denounces her, and she flees in shame.

All of this was resolved (if you can call it that) years ago, so I doubt it will be brought up in the movies, but it's one of my favorite psychological comic book arcs, for the few times we saw exploration of it.

The part where "Carol" remembers playing with her brother (who was killed in Vietnam) absolutely gutted me.

quarter3a.jpg

By the end of the decade, when Rogue's self-worth and confidence were at such an all time low that she didn't trust herself to do anything, "Carol" took over full-time, even having Rogue dress in a replica of the old Ms. Marvel costume. There's a very poignant scene where "Carol" goes to The Wall to see her brother's name and apologize to him for not being around to visit.

• Members

158_8.png?resize=649%2C512

This was from issue #158...where Carol, working with the X-Men after losing her memory and powers, goes back into the Pentagon for them to erase all files on them as Xavier knows the government is coming after them.

This issue has a big fight with Storm and Rogue, and Carol and Mystique, among others.

This is actually the very first Marvel comic I ever read, which is probably why I am a fan of so many of the characters of that era.

Sadly, Carol stopped having any real relationship with the X-Men once they let Rogue join the team.

• Members

I think there is zero chance on Anne Hathaway. For one thing, the hair.

My vote still goes to Rosamund Pike or some others' favored choice, Natalie Dormer, but I have also heard people mentioned Margot Robbie. Charlize is a bit too old. OTOH, I think Robbie is possibly doing DC's (ill-advised, IMO, but I think their entire film slate is ill-advised) Suicide Squad film. If she does Tina Fey's war comedy instead she could still be in the running for the MCU.

It's a shame Naomi Watts is possibly too old now, too. Though I don't think she is.

• Members

I love Margot Robbie, so that could be an interesting choice. I don't know too much about the character, but you might be right about Charlize being too old.

And in a world where ANYONE thought Anne Hathaway would be a good Catwoman, I have no faith that they won't consider her for this. The bitch has been blonde before.

Archived