Supergirl: Discussion Thread

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Supergirl doesn't seem to have a purpose, other than to become Supergirl. While that journey is probably the foundation of every superhero story, there doesn't seem to be any inherent urgency in the show. With Arrow, it was about finding out about the Undertaking and avenging his father, with Flash, it was finding his mother's killer in their first seasons.

OTOH, Kara's bopping around fighting aliens of the week and quaking in her boots everytime Cat Grant purses her lips. And that Lord guy is clearly a lightweight villain. Compared to Malcolm Merlyn, WellsReverseFlash or Slade, he might as well be a puppy-kicker.

And maybe I'm just really old school, but I don't like the "humans don't trust Superman" vibe and there's something kind of off-putting in the way Kara talks about her adoptive parents.

Edited by P.J.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

See? I would say the arc for the season so far is the prison escapers from Fort Knox and what Kara's people are up to.

Well, to be fair...I feel Maxwell Lord is there to get killed except rather than Wonder Woman doing like it was in the comics, it will be Kara, setting up a moral delimma/arc.

Then there are the relationship issues that carry over from episode to episode so I wouldn't call it just standalone-ish.

And watching Episode 15 and can't believe they got the Supergirl from SMALLVILLE to play the villain to new Supergirl.

• Members

I just see a lot of missed opportunities. I think it was a huge mistake to kill off Kara's Aunt (whose name escapes me right this second) so soon. I'll agree this last episode (w/the red kryptonite) was by far the best episode of the season, but it kind of just highlights the show's weaknesses. The characters are earnest but lack depth. I think Lord is supposed to have shades of gray (and I definitely think they're setting up a relationship with the sister), but the actor lacks presence to carry it off (he really reminds me of Ray Palmer, and the pretty but b.l.a.n.d. Brandon Routh).

Maybe because I already watch Arrow/Flash/LoT, I'm expecting too much of a first season show. It just feels a little hollow to me.

• Members

Maybe at some point, I will like it more than I currently do---but right now, I can't wrap my head around that. It has the weakest cast, lacks direction and just feels tired. It literally comes across as the prim, Amish cousin of Flash/Arrow/LoT. I can't believe this and Blindspot are by the same people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

it was a nice episode, but the fact that they just had to complicate the timeline and make Kara's Earth Earth3 really annoyed me. I like crossovers better when they truly impact the story somehow, and other than giving Kara a confidence booster, this didn't. It seems like any new guy paying attention to Kara would have done.

• Members

I refused to watch Supergirl after that dreadful promo but Flash made me tune in.  I watched 30 minutes and tuned out.   It is everything I knew it would be: Working Girl in a cape.   It is so such a sexist insult that the moment they get a female hero they have to make it something nauseating.  That cliche boss with the cupcakes, the way Kara wants Jimmy but needs the cruel boss who secretly has wisdom to guide her,   the way every enemy was female...this show is total crap worthy of the Black Widow mock-promo SNL did last year.  And Supergirl's costume is complete shlock.   Couldn't they at least get the yellow behind the S right?

• Administrator

I did like parts of the crossover, particularly whenever The Flash/Supergirl interacted, but The Flash's entrance and exit were pretty weak.  There was no real point for having The Flash crossover.  I really believe the CBS execs are holding this show back.  It would be so much better if it was on the CW.