• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So Ausiello hates the new show and feels it ruined Twin Peaks for him, per his original review, or whatever he said, but he's still happy to do a video about it so he can get oncamera and get to talk a lot about himself?

Bleh.

I did watch a minute but that was it for me. Maybe it's fantastic, I don't know.

I guess at least he isn't singing random theme songs instead of talking about the show, like that Previously TV recapper who seems to have vanished the past two weeks.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The first season their story had a lot of poignancy and ache.

After that with Hank blackmailing her stepfather and the wacky Nadine stuff...eh. What made their early relationship special was lost. Going back to square one in the finale also annoyed me. 

I kind of wish they'd killed Nadine at the end of the first season, although I did enjoy her relationship with Mike and her cameos this season. 

• Members

It's painful how good this fuckin' show is sometimes.

Lynch does so much with stillness and mood, like the long ending with Big Ed alone, looking at what's left of his life - just lighted pumps and loneliness and wistfully drinking Norma's RR2Go cups. I do think/hope they'll end up together, but they did so much with so little there. Also a nice bit of framing: Keeping him in the background during most of Norma and Walter's conversation. The insight into the town's economic struggles - and Norma's franchising the diner while refusing to compromise - was great stuff that reminded me of the old soap opera material from the original series. Grounded but generally linked to emotional realism, whether it was Ed and Norma's workaday lives or the craziness with Nadine. Speaking of: Great to see her talk with Jacoby. The hypnotic rhythms of the silent drape moving back and forth in the night with them talking was another classic Lynch choice. And the warm comfort of the diner scenes in general was great - it was nice seeing Bobby, Ed and Norma all together.

The whole arm wrestling setpiece with the Bad Dale and Derek Mears - the last Jason Voorhees! - was amazing. "Starting positions." I also liked that we got a little more direct insight into the ring, and what whoever "Jeffries" really is wants (BOB). The question is, does Richard already know the doppleganger? Or might this be their first meeting?

I don't know what's going on with Audrey but her scene was genuinely disturbing and nightmarish. Reminded me of pieces of Inland Empire. Also the first time Sherilyn Fenn's reminded me of Grace Zabriskie - that intense, teetering hysteria. Sarah's scene was long but I was never bored - it was deeply unsettling.

I expected them to pick up the thread with James and Renee (Jessica Szohr's character, seen with Shelly in the premiere) but I wasn't sure; I knew he has some sort of storyline coming. I loved the Just You & I reprise, because you know Lynch is 100% behind it. I don't know if that was a new recording or the original, which I know Lara Flynn Boyle and Sheryl Lee actually did the background vocals for. I think it was the original.

Everything with Dougie/Vegas was hilarious, amazing, touching, all of the above. The opening is an all-time Twin Peaks favorite - the conga line is right out of Fellini's films. Tom Sizemore was hysterical. And the stuff with Janey-E and the gym suit was moving - Naomi Watts does so much with just a look as she stares at their good fortune. The night reverie with the playground set and Swan Lake was really surreal and beautiful, obviously a deliberate reflection of the Black Lodge.

Not sure I can wait for Part 14! And now I really want one more short season. There's just so much amazing stuff week to week, even the 'off' ones (which is how I would characterize last week, which was still fascinating and had many compelling scenes). This was very much an 'on'.

• Members

Commentary from a Twin Peaks fan who met Sabrina Sutherland, Lynch's right hand, at the TP Fest and learned this:

More here, including Jan D'Arcy talking about how Eamon Farren was so upset by the assault scene in Part 10 he called his own grandmother.