• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well I guess I got another Lynch fakeout, as none of the Dougie stuff was in this one, other than setup (the warden is dead now - only two people left). 

I think that this episode had a lot of good-to-great scenes - I don't think there was one bad scene in the whole episode, not even the rambling bit players at the end as that obviously did serve a purpose about how dark things are getting - but it didn't feel very cohesive. I almost would have preferred seeing it broken up into clips and put onto Youtube. 

Things obviously did happen (Audrey returned, we learned the coordinates are in Twin Peaks [unless Albert and Gordon set Diane up to try to get the bad Cooper back there], and we got a whole lot more of Sarah, who is clearly key to setting up the evil being unleashed in town), but I have to admit I'm not really sure why this episode was hyped as being a big one. Quite a bit of it was expository dialogue, possibly the most expository dialogue I've ever seen in one TV episode since the Carolyn Crawford murder storyline on As the World Turns.

There was also some stalling and time-filling that was next level trolling, from the French lady (who seemed to be there to taunt those who would be upset about the sweeping scene...) to Audrey even saying outright, after all the angst over when she'd be back, "I'm tired of waiting." Of course most of this wasn't trolling, it was just part of the setting up of atmosphere and character beats, but a few times I did wonder, especially when we got pretty much the same Jacoby and Nadine scene we had a few weeks back. * A lot of this episode seemed to be about making people wait - in and out of the narrative. 

* (not getting political, but I think Jacoby's rant was more on the nose for this week than Lynch likely ever had any idea of being possible)

There were some other random moments that sort of felt like addressing criticisms, although I doubt that was the intent.

The last scene - I could imagine someone saying to themselves, "See? Not everyone in Twin Peaks is white." Or Audrey's husband being a little person but not being stereotyped as weird or strange, as some accuse Lynch of doing. 

Anyway, as a whole it's not one that completely worked for me, but part of that is down to comparing it to last week and where things seem to be going. I'd still put it above episode 6 and 10 in my episode rankings that no one but me cares about.

I did love Miguel Ferrer's deadpan in that long scene. I just love watching him work. I never want it to end.

And there were some other wonderful scenes too, small character moments to remind us more of the goodness alongside the increasing darkness in town, like Carl telling that guy to stop selling blood and giving him money to get by. And Grace Zabriskie was just incredible, as she always is - so much so that I take it for granted. She is just an absolute master at always having a perfectly pitched performance, at never seeming to be acting, or to be hamming up - she makes you feel like you are watching a real woman struggle and break. It's simply superb, superb work.

Ben making everything about himself, as he always does. Very good performance from Richard Beymer though. I kept wondering if he was going to have Miriam killed or if we were going to get a Jacques Renualt murder recreation when we saw her. 

I've seen some spec that Audrey is really still in a coma or that this is another reality's version of Audrey, which is why we didn't hear her mention anything of Richard. I don't know. It was nice to see her again. It was an adjustment to hear her cursing a blue streak, but then if the original show had had cursing she would have never stopped (Albert and later Donna and Bobby would have as well...), so it wasn't as much of an adjustment as if Lucy started turning into Sam Kinison. It's a bit sad to think she's been in an unhappy, arranged marriage, but the whole thing is too vague to know how to react to at this point. Sherilyn and the guy who played Audrey's husband powered through all that stuff even though it had more names than you could find in the phone book. 

I still keep thinking that angelic Tammy and suspicious Diane is still too good to be true - Tammy's reaction to being in the Blue Rose team was just a little too...much for me, but maybe I'm reading too much into it. 

The fathers and sons theme was also very heavy tonight, so I wonder where that may be going. If nothing else it added extra power to what could have been a throwaway scene with the warden's murder. And I keep saying this every week now but they must be coming to Vegas soon, up to no good.

• Members

Well, Part 12 was at least 50% troll! Amazing.

The Audrey/ending scenes alternated between agonizing and hilarious, as I'm sure was intended (a rotary phone! Come on!). The whole first half was mint - especially the Sarah stuff. I thought Ben's testimonial to Beverly was actually pretty touching too. Ashley Judd's reaction work was great.

I feel like the random soapy scenes at the Roadhouse with various nobodies is almost this bizarre Mulholland Drive-esque device - that film also has several random vignettes with people never seen again. It's far too deliberate to be random.

Edited by Vee