Y&R: October 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

The writing on the show isn't even worth talking about, but Gina Tognoni has really been a blessing. I hated Phyllis [and Stafford] for years by the time the character was finally off the show last year, but Tognoni seems to really be giving the show a spark. She's one of the best recasts of a long-running character I've seen in a long time.

It also feels like she's been there a while, she just fit right in.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gina Tognoni has been a really good find and Y&R hasn't had a good new find in quite some time. The writing, I agree with BetterForgotten, it has been uneven and sloppy and more slapstick (e.g. the bachelor/bachelorette party) than anything else. Very few actors on the show have been able to rise above the material and GT is one of them.

Still, I cannot shake the feeling that Y&R reminds me of ATWT's final years these days.

• Members

Exactly.

Not to throw shades at Michelle Stafford (but rather at her stans LOL) but Tognoni has quickly proven that Phyllis is not that one of a kind character depending on the actress playing her. Phyllis' return for the most part has been rather good and cleverly plotted compared to the other stories on this show. The rest is still very FFable (minus the obvious troopers like Sharon Case).

E.G. I couldn't care less for Avery's creepy washed up primetime actor hubby.

• Members

You keep repeating that. It's not true. I didnt like DT at all on OLTL. Hated him to be honest. But i was enjoying DT on Y&R, and more than once expressed my surprise that i was enjoying him. Just not in scenes with Victoria or Kelly. I just happen to like Jenkins better. A lot better. I actually like Jenkins better than Billy Miller. UO I know, but it happens.

• Members

Nelson's Phyllis was very dark and I loved it. She lacked the sex appeal Michelle. I loved Michelle as Phyllis more in the 90s and the early 2000s. I loathed what she became in the MAB years just awful writing. I can see where Michelle was bored her last year she looked it. She played a role for 16 years and won two Emmys. Gina is just fantastic what's really awesome is she earned this role. I do truly believe Jill going to give Kelly the part and it rumored she was the top choice but Gina came in and was so amazing they all had to give it to her. It was a very grueling audition. Gina looks happy and excited. She's also not playing Dinah here I found her more upper class and a different kind of bitchy Dinah was. I think Gina having three years out of daytime is refreshed. Plus she really u could tell loathed that year and half as the return to Kelly on OLTL it was awful.

• Members

I hate revisionist history where Stafford fans get to paint Nelson as a flop in the role. She wasn't and was there for almost 2 years. She was widely entertaining in the role too. She maybe didn't have the same film noir appeal that Stafford had in the 90's, but she played the hell out of the demented parts of the character and was a lot of fun to watch.

I have the same reaction when Marthy Byrne fans try to paint Heather Rattray as a failure for the role of Lily on ATWT. It makes my blood boil.

• Members

It's definitely revisionist history to call Sandra Nelson a flop, but I think it comes from the soap press (like Michael Logan) who have been riding Stafford's dick for years. Most soap fans, even on Mediadomain, seemed to enjoy SN in the role.

I wasn't the biggest fan, but mostly because I thought it was ridiculous to continue to shoehorn a psycho into the fabric of the show. And I'm not a fan of recasts in general, as they most often feel like entirely different characters due to different interpretations by actors.

Archived