DaytimeFan

• Administrator

I really liked the show. I was hoping it would be like One Tree Hill's style/feel, because of Mark Schwahn, and it was.

Like OTH, this show has:

- great music (I'm always Shazam-ing the song that's playing; how he uses songs to play in the background more often than other shows)

- good looking females (Ophelia, Princess Eleanor....my two favourites characters so far, and not just because they're hot! LOL I loved how Ophelia stood up for herself and her mother against the Queen. Eleanor is a hot mess but has shown she has heart.)

- relationship scenes (King Simon/Liam; Ophelia/Eleanor; Ophelia/her dad; Simon/Cyrus; Simon/Eleanor).

- good dialogue:

Eleanor: Dad, do I disappoint you?

Simon: Those qualities you say make me great, I see them in you everyday. Don't medicate all that wonder. Your brother loved you with all his heart....so do I.

Eleanor: So anyway, this week on for weeks and eventually my mother summoned him and told him enough was enough. But you know what he did? He looked her right in the eyes, his boss, the Queen of England, and he said, 'Sack me or deal with it. My wife deserves a lifetime of tears and not even the Queen will decide enough is enough.' Your dad's a badass. Everyone knows it.

Liam: Dad, are you considering abolishing the Monarchy because of me? Because you don't believe in me?

Simon: No. I'm considering it because I do believe in you. And because I want something more for you.

Liam: What could be more than King?

Simon: Love. A family raised beyond the tabloids and the walls of a castle. A life lived and not destined. I like Ophelia very much.

Liam: Me too.

Simon: Her mother was killed because of me. Because men always choose the wrong things. They stalk power and wealth, and frivolous things they think will make them whole. And it never does. It never does.

Liam: But her father chose duty and honor and service to the King. Those aren't frivolous things.

Simon: No. If you asked him, could he do it all over again? What road do you think he'd travel? Ted chose duty over love. Robert chose honor over his own path. Choose your own path. Those are the roads to travel, my son.

http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=244&t=17176

Alexandra Park looks exactly Elizabeth Hurley!

I hope we more of the red headed foul cousins.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what a I dislike about it...for really on the reasons Toups likes it, I dislike it and it's that damned American tone. What saves the show for me is Elizabeth Hurley and Jake Maskall and the girls who play Cyrus' twin daughters, all great performers for this type of show who are clearly enjoying themselves and really going for it. Ukweli Roach, who plays Liam's royal protection officer Marcus, and Manpreet Bashu, who plays Liam's fried Ashok, are nice casting too, they wouldn't have gotten those roles at the hands of an American casting director. And it's also nice to see British performers like Jake Maslen get guest starring roles.

What I cannot stand about this show is Liam and Ophelia...I really don't give a flying damn about either of them and they'll eat the show alive with their bad acting, crap characterization and the insipid writing that does neither actor any favours. Merritt Patterson is a terrible actress: she's the worst of the One Tree Hill / The O.C. type of younger actress who delivers every line like it's an announcement. The writing for Liam, especially, doesn't make sense: we have no idea why he's such a piece of sh*t to his mother and his rebellious crap is like Prince Harry's wet dream: crowd surfing? I didn't find it funny or cool, I just thought it was the height of unrealistic and stupid.

It's good that Hurley is clearly getting a storyline with the army officer: definite shades of Diana, Princess of Wales and Major James Hewitt, she is the undisputed star of the show, despite her lack of airtime, and her scenes are the highlight.

This second episode, for me, was an improvement on the first episode, and Mark Schwahn has said that the 10 episode season finishes really strong...so I have some hope that it will steadily improve and that Dame Joan Collins will be well served by the time her episode comes along.

• Members

I enjoyed the third episode a lot more than the first two.

The new guy and Ophelia are a much better match, chemistry wise, than Liam and Ophelia. Liam continues to be a useless tool whose character motivation hasn't been established at all. And I really mean at all. Zero. He's a blank character that doesn't make sense at all. He's just a dumb, spoiled, idiot.

Eleanor was great this episode and, unlike Liam, her character is well established: she's all screwed up because she's too weak for her domineering mother. I really like the chemistry between Alexandra Park and Elizabeth Hurley. They play off each other beautifully.

Hurley remains the clear standout. She was born for this role and when she said she took inspiration from Dame Joan Collins it's clear she paid attention. The venom she had when she told Eleanor she's nothing without the monarchy was brilliant. Hurley has never been known as a great actress, but she is great in this role. She's just flying in it.

The twins remain welcome comic relief and Cyrus is great foil for Hurley and Liam.

Ratings for episode two went up while its lead in, the Kardashians, went down, which is great news. I hope episode three keeps ascending. The show is improving leaps and bounds. It seems maybe the writers didn't know how good Hurley was going to be for the show when they wrote the pilot and only figured it out after a couple episodes and adjusted the writing accordingly.

• Members

Glad to hear the ratings went up. I still need to check out episode 2. Nice to hear episode 3 is better. Show definitely has potential. Liam and Ophelia were by far the weakest aspect and I thought the funeral scenes were a bit too staged and over the top. They poured it on too thick in some places but hit it it right in a few other places.

• Members

Spoiler Alert!

I'm so glad the episode ended with Queen Helena having the distillery burned down the ground. It's what I hoped would happen after that jackass disrespected her and the monarchy after she tried to broker a win/win deal for the farmers/cows/distillery...and wouldn't you know if my prayers were answered.

I love what they're doing with Hurley's characters. She's not all bad...but she is 100% wicked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm still liking this show. This week's episode got the storylines moving ahead and getting the younger characters out of London and into "Monaco" (looked like a house in the Lake District with a few imported palm trees if we're being honest) was refreshing.

The Princess Beatrice and Eugenie of York lookalike characters are the greatest comic relief and absolute credit to the two actresses who really go for it with absolutely no self consciousness. They are hilarious. I really hope the York princesses can take these characters in their stride: they're a great addition to the show, bless Princess Beatrice for wearing that pretzel/toilet seat hat for Prince William's wedding.

Ashok and Marcus are the best characters in the younger set. Liam and Ophelia remain, totally and utterly, pointless.

Hurley is the standout, she's the star and the rest of them are acting in the B Storylines, whether they're structured that way or not.

Most importantly: Dame Joan Collins has her episode next week and it's gratifying to see E! promote the hell out of it.

• Members

I lost track of the show a few episodes but I watched last night. Everything is coming together well except for Liam and Ophelia. They are too saccharine and it does not help that the writers wink and nudge at it too. I am going to need the writer to add streaks of darkness or edge in them because right now I am not seeing it. It doesn't help either that they rushed and put them together.

• Members

I caught up with the show's episodes on my DVR. Those two cousins crack me up. "Should've used the diplomatic bag rather than putting them up your bums"...hilarious

Liam/Ophelia are boring the hell out of me. He needs a little edge, like his sister--my personal favorite on the show next to Hurley.

• Members

Dame Joan's episode was INCREDIBLE. This is the show I'd been dying to see take shape like it did last night. So much happened and the writers clearly knew the gift they had and wrote as much fun for Dame Joan as they could and boy, did she deliver. She amped up the energy in her scenes incredibly. Everyone who shared scenes with her really upped their games. She played off Elizabeth Hurley beautifully as mother and daughter. And her flirting scene with Jake Maskell was fantastic. And for 82 next month, she looked incredible. I really hope she returns in an expanded role next season, the reaction on Twitter was fantastic to her. And deservedly so.

tumblr_inline_nnfw1xktUP1t9yrdv_500.jpg

• Members

I flove this show and Joan looks breathtaking.Great genes! The only thing that ruins this show for me are the constant commercials schilling for the no talent Kardasshians and their neverending saga of suck!

All the characters have been developed well.

• Members

This week's episode was great, with a few WILD twists at the end, but highlighted, yet again, the biggest flaw in this show: Liam and Ophelia. Merritt Patterson is a terrible actress and Ophelia and Liam aren't a couple that can be rooted for. At all. I really don't understand what Mark Schwann was thinking when he hired Merritt and decided that she was worth writing the show's big love story around.

Elizabeth Hurley and Jake Maskell remain the highlights and this episode definitely highlighted why. Their scenes were electric.

Archived