When & How did You Start Watching Soaps?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1990, Santa Barbara. My dad was off work for a while, and when I came home from school, he was watching it. I was in 7th grade. I started watching right around the time Dash raped Julia. I loved Julia and Mason (Gordon Thompson's Mason), and I rooted for them to get back together. When I was home sick and over the summer, I'd watch Days and AW before SB came on. I started reading every soap magazine I could get my hands on, and through that, I became intrigued by this show called "All My Children" and this character Erica Kane who was married to one brother and having an affair with the other. I started watching AMC in late 1990 and fell in love with Erica. I've been a fan ever since.

I was saddened to see SB canceled, but once I got into AMC, I began to lose interest in SB. I drifted away from AW and eventually from Days too, although I enjoyed Marlena's return from the dead and the Marlena/John/Kristen triangle. I tried to get into OLTL and cried when Megan died but lost interest after that. I couldn't get into any of the CBS soaps. I tried to watch GH when Nancy Lee Grahn joined the cast because I'd loved her so much on SB, but for whatever reason I couldn't get into the show. I tried again when AMC ended, but it wasn't the same.

• Members

I started watching ALL the CBS soaps with my mom and grandmother around 92-93. I was about 4 or 5.

I remember rushing to the TV when the GL opening [Hold on to Love] and plopping my ass into a seat. Even though I barely knew what was going on, I was instantly drawn to Roger, Holly, Maureen, Ed, and Vanessa. I just thought they were glamorous and I used to love watching Holly and Roger being forced together in situations, sensing their hatred for one another, but realizing there was this draw, this underlying love that could not be explained. MZ & MG's chemistry was off the chart. Till this day, they remain my favorite soap couple and I am still pissed that MADD fired MZ instead of playing up his illness onscreen and giving Roger and Holly the proper closure.

ATWT was my other show and I remember being transfixed by the opening too. Once Jelinda's theme hit, my butt was in that seat once again. Earliest story I remember enjoying was the Holden/Lily/Damien triangle. I was instantly drawn to Kim, Bob, John, Lisa, and Lucinda too. Something was just comforting about them.

With B&B, I remember always pointing out the near boob slip in the opening credits and my grandma scolding me for it. tongue.png Slutty Brooke was my favorite and that's when BeLieF was going on. Oh! Such good times. Brooke was deliciously evil and I loved her friendship of convince with Sheila. I loved how those two tortured ole' bitter ass Stephanie.

With Y&R, it was all about the Barbers with me. I liked the Newmans and Abbotts, but I preferred watching the Barber/Winters clan. Olivia being refined, Neil being the yuppie, and Dru not giving a damn and rolling her neck at anyone who crossed her. And Mamie too. She reminded me so much of my grand mom because she was a maid as well, and it was comforting to see Mamie in the kitchen being the confidant to not only her kin but the Abbott kids as well.

I picked up AW on my on in 94. SBeach from it's beginning. I kept abreast of the ABC throughout the 90s because my paternal grandma preferred them, but I didn't start officially watching them till about 99 along with DOOL.

• Members

I was home from kindergarten with the chickenpox during what was apparently fall sweeps. I ended up watching SFT and there was a fire at the hospital and Renata Sutton was in labor and her husband David had carried her up to a storage room on the top floor where she gave birth. The fire department called down to them from the roof and Renata told David to take the baby to them. While David was gone, the oxygen tanks on the same floor exploded killing Renata. My little 7-year-old self watched that and proceeded to cry tears that left salty tracks down my calamine-lotioned, pockmarked face. laugh.png I fell in serious girl love with Sonia Petrovna in those scenes. She was just so lovely and tragic. I still hate the fact that she got out of the business.

• Members

My grandmother was a CBS fan, and she watched all day. From LOVE OF LIFE at 12 PM to THE EDGE OF NIGHT to finish up the day. She was a big SEARCH fan, and my mother actually resembles 1951-era Mary Stuart very strongly. However, when SEARCH moved to NBC opposite Y&R, my grandmother, with no VCR, had no problem giving up Jo. She LOVED to hate Jill Abbott more!

My mom preferred THE DOCTORS at 12 PM, but then switched to CBS except for ANOTHER WORLD. One of my earliest soap memories is being confused when Victoria Wyndham replaced Robin Strasser as Rachel. I didn't appreciate VW's unique "look" at the time, being a child, and kept commenting that Rachel was "ugly." My mother would tell me that wasn't nice (and then agree with me, LOL).

• Members

For me, it was the late 1960s. Mom was -- and still is at 83 years of age -- an avid soap fan. One of my earliest memories was circa May 1967 when Another World's Rachel fainted while on a modeling gig. In the early 70s, I got into Return to Peyton Place and Somerset. I still remember Constance Carson and Mike Rossi consummating their affair on RTPP, Zoe trying to kill Andrea on Somerset, and the mystery person stalking Heather on Somerset. Once Edge moved to ABC in December 1975, I abandoned Somerset for the hotbed of intrigue and mystery of Monticello!

• Members

1993. Sarah Michelle Gellar as Kendall Hart on AMC. I had a crush on her so I stayed home from school. I also really, really liked Dimitri and Erica and later Edmund and Maria.

I ended up watching the whole ABC line-up, plus DAYS off and on - my babysitter had also watched Y&R, B&B, ATWT and GL in the '80s and early '90s, and I had soaked some of that up as well as some of the Rauch OLTL (I used to hate Nadia's Theme, and my sitter watched Y&R every single day). But in '93 the gritty OLTL, which spoke to me as an angsty preteen, and runner-up GH, which was very homey, were the soaps I really fell for as a kid, with AMC ending up a very close third. I became interested in Loving later on as a side dish, especially with Debbi Morgan there. I didn't really know who Angie was for a while, but I loved Debbi.

• Members

I started watching GH at the age of 6 all on my own because I thought Jagger was the hottest thing I'd ever seen. I watched off and on until he and Karen married and left. I then started watching One Life to Live because I found Joey (Nathan Fillion) so damn hot. It was during the time he was sleeping with Dorian. I then would watch off and on when Cristian (David Funero) was on because shocker! He was hot! And I was a big fan of Roseanne and Natalie. I stopped watching all together in 2002.

I started my GH obsession when I was flipping through channels and came across a scene of Robin and Carly fighting at the penthouse and instantly recognized Sarah Brown from VR Troopers and was hooked. It helped that I thought Steve Burton was really hot back then and desperately wanted Carly and Jason to be together (damn you Guza!!!) I watched religiously even skipping 7th period just so I didn't miss an episode until Sarah Brown left then finally checked out when the stomach ache known as Tamara Braun showed up and ruined the character for me. I still watch off and on tho when I'm bored and need a good laugh.

• Members

To be fair, Guza was all about pairing Jason with Carly at that post Robin period. Allegedly Steve Burton was against it. Back then he wanted Jason paired with the good girls only. The writing made it look like there was more than just Michael keeping them together, but you could see him acting against it all the time, until the betrayal of her sleeping with Sonny while he was shot slow motion style.

Archived