When & How did You Start Watching Soaps?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same here, sometime around the ages of 2 and 3 (1992-1994) I just remember my mom watching Y&R and B&B almost everyday, though I wouldn't really get into those 2 soaps myself till my last couple years of high school....haha.

Passions was the first soap I would watch almost consistently when I was 9 and in 3rd grade, then I watched Days too eventually.

• Members

Summer of 1995. I saw a commercial for DAYS while watching The Today Show (because all 12 year old boys watch The Today Show during their summer vacation, right?) where a possessed Marlena was in the morgue choking the life out of John. Then, the commercial insinuates that she bursts into the church full of people. Intrigued, I checked it out, and instantly got interested in Carrie/Austin/Sami (Sami busted up their wedding with her pregnancy) and Hope/Bo/Billie (Hope just successfully opened the puzzle box). A week into school, I couldn't miss it any longer. It became a VCR regular.

B&B I started in the Spring of '96 because I saw in Digest that Lark Voorhies of Saved by the Bell fame was on it. Didn't see much Lark, but got hooked on Brooke/Ridge/Taylor, Stephanie/Sheila, oh and Dylan being a stripper.

GL I'm not sure how I started but watched casually in the summer of 1996. I think at that time I was sampling all the soaps and GL interested me the most. I always love the leading ladies, and Reva, Dinah, and Annie intrigued me the most. By Spring of 1997, it was recording on my VCR everyday too.

• Members

My mom (and sister) always had the ABC soaps and, less frequently, Days on all throughout my childhood. I eventually just started watching them myself. My grandma and aunt watch(ed) them too. It's a family thing. I don't recall anyone in my family ever watching the CBS soaps lol. They were big on the ABC lineup.

• Members

Just about 15 years ago when I was in 1st grade! I'd get home from school & my Mom would put in her tapes. AMC & DAYS were up first & second, respectively, and I'd be completely enthralled (especially with AMC). Then, Y&R/GL were up next and I'd go do my homework or play outside. LOL.

2003 I really got into AMC/DAYS and earned my own tape/VCR and the rest is history ;-). Eventually caught onto GH as well. B&B I only got into 4 years ago thanks to the summer Pose story. I deeply regret not paying attention to it earlier.

• Members

Mine go back to 1977 or so. I got my tonsils and adnoids out and was out of school for a long time, so I started watching OLTL and GH. The following three years, I got pneumonia every year in around October. Turns out I was missing a flap between my esophagus and stomach, now I sleep elevated. Anyhow, those two month "vacations" from school got me watching RH and AMC as well as a little Days.

When my Aunt Mary babysat me in 81, I started following ATWT. From there it just kept going. I still remember Brad Vernon finding Lana McClain's body when she died.

• Members

AMC: This was the first soap I ever saw, I started watching it on and off back in 1997, my favorite character back then was Maria Santos. I tuned in right before she died in the plane crash, and she was the first character I ever grew attached to. Years later I found Soapnet and was very fond of the Greenleo pairing, I tuned in right when Leo was in Paris looking for his father. Greenlee appearing in the bathtub is one of my favorite early memories of the soap. From there on I watched on and off mostly watching during the summers I had off from school. I remember the Micheal Cambias murder, Erica in Vegas, and other bits and pieces from the early 00's until I steadily started watching from 2005 onward. I tuned out during the Spring of 2007, and came back here and there until it was cancelled.

OLTL/GH: These were my primary soaps during my elementary years, I was able to watch them because I would come home from school and catch most of these stories. I remember being a big fan of Jennifer Morris and I was really invested in the Al/Jen/Christian/Natalie quad, and Viki's alter Niki was a big part of my formative years with OLTL. I'm guessing these storylines were from 2001/2002. I briefly remember Tea, Todd and someone else on the island and the Lindsey/Troy/Nora triangle which was also interesting. Ty Treadway pretty much disappeared after that. I think OLTL really got interesting when Mitch Laurence came back to town. I was never heavily invested in OLTL. I came in through bits and pieces during the Santi arc, NuTodd, Blair's tumor, re-rape, Cole/Starr pairings, Nash's death and other brief parts. But I largely tuned out after Mitch left.

GH: Tamara Braun's Carly is what really pulled me into GH. That Carly/Nikolas/Alexis triangle really made me interested in the show, and when Carly faked her death to be with Sonny I was interested. I also remember the death of Kristina and how it impacted Alexis. I remember Zander was Sonny's go to right hand man. Also the Lucky/Nikolas stories and Liz/Lucky, along with Laura going crazy in the attic.

Port Charles: I remembering loving this soap so much, I only started watching it towards the end though. I remember being a huge fan of Livvie and Tess. I watched sometime during the Naked Eyes/Surrender arc, and was immersed during that time period forward.

• Members

My maternal grandmother was an ABC soap fan, her favorite show was OLTL. My mom watched when she could, and her show was GH. They both loved The Edge of Night. So soaps were a part of my life from the time I knew what the TV was.

What I can remember from watching with them was Luke and Laura (the last story, with Stavros), and when Lesley died. I also remembered Raven and Sky from Edge, but I thought she was on GH, I was too young to remember a soap they watched was cancelled.

A couple of years later I was hooked by the arrival of Felicia on GH, and that has been my show ever since. As much as I loved Frisco and Felicia, Anna Devane quickly became my favorite.

My sister liked Days, so she and I watched Days from 12:30 to 1:00, then we would flip back and forth between Days and OLTL at 1 (depending on who was on), and watched GH at 2. It's the only time of the day we didn't watch MTV when we were home from school. She and I also started Watching Y&R sometime before Terry Lester and Dickson left.

• Members

My mom was a teen mom, watching AMC since its debut while she carried my big brother as a 17-year-old, OLTL and GH before then. Her mother watched the whole CBS lineup, her grandparents, ABC's, so I got that as well when they watched me when I was little. My dad's dad taught private music lessons at home and he'd watch AMC on his lunch break. He introduced my dad, aunt, and grandmother to the show once she retired the year I was born and lunchtime at their home became synonymous with AMC/later Loving too. Been watching the stories all of my life. I didn't spend much time with my paternal great-grandmother growing up, but she watched the NBC lineup and I have fond memories of that sweet Slovak lady in a rocking chair watching DOOL and Generations.

• Members

I remember watching Passions at my aunts house in elementary school with my cousins and older brother. We were all hooked by Timmy the talking doll, Tabitha the witch and Sheridan and Luis trying to marry and her poisoned ring. Even then I thought the pacing was slow but it was so creepy and kinda scary to me as a child. Lol.

Then I remember getting hooked on ATWT in 2003 on summer break, I loved Lily and Rose and kept waiting on them to escape the well. I thought then soaps were like Lifetime movies that took YEARS to play on TV.

Drucilla from Y&R caught my attention at the same time. I randomly recall her and Neil getting onto Lily for getting a tattoo.

I got into OLTL in summer 2005 when Nat and Evangeline were kidnapped and set on fire but watched permanately in 2006 with the tornado. The event driven stories always captured my attention then but I could care less now I just want good story!

Babe of all characters got me into AMC in 2006 when she was with Janet. I loved Babe and was shocked so many people hated her. Lol

• Members

I was at a neighbors house and she had Dark Shadows on.she said "Don't you watch this?" biggrin.png

My mother was sick when I was little and watched ATWT, Another World and Love Is a Many Splendor Thing.

We got the first VCR to watch to tape CBS soaps AW and GH. My mom stopped watching soaps a long time

ago but I'm still watching them.

• Members

My whole family, especially on my mother's side, has always been obsessed with the CBS soaps, so they were just always there whenever I was growing up in the 90s. We usually stayed with my dad's mom on summer days, and she had the TV on CBS all day, to the point where my cousins and I weren't even allowed to touch the remote until after Guiding Light went off. Everybody in my family was just obsessed with the soaps, though, so those characters were household names.

I started watching on my own the summer before 6th grade when I was channel surfing and saw Jesse McCartney's JR on AMC and thought he was the most gorgeous "older boy" I'd ever seen. I watched the rest of that episode, and the rest is history. For a good two years, AMC was the only soap I really watched, though I sampled the others from time to time. I started to get into OLTL in '03 during their 45th anniversary festivities, but it didn't last long. DAYS became my #2 soap when the SSK storyline was happening, but I tuned out shortly after Melaswen started. I started watching ATWT after my grandma passed away because it was always her favorite, and I pretty much stuck with it through the end.

To ramble further, I think I became aware of the UK soaps not too long after I started watching AMC, but I had absolutely no means to watch any of them or know anything about them beyond their names until many years later, like around 2007 or 2008.

Archived