The Young and the Restless SEPTEMBER 2014 Discussion

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Me either, the choice of telling Hillary and Devon' story this particular way to make Devon look like an asswipe even though dumb Hillary caught feeling for him but married his daddy anyway. I had hoped they wouldn't go this route to include Neil in this all of a sudden but they unfortunately did.

It seems they may have been going for something like poor Hillary and Devon what a pity they cant be together although they are in love but its just not playing out that way I have no sympathy for them. When she chose his daddy that was that she's off limits...move on besides why would he want her anyway?

• Members

There were tons of logical, in character reasons to build romantic tension for Devon & Hilary.

Y&R putting her in a relationship with Neil serves two purposes (to keep Dev & Hil segregated from pairings with white actors & to sabotage audience support for their pairing) & it's all for nothing because after Hilary divorces Neil she'll join Tyler, Leslie, Barton & Mason in Storyline Siberia..

• Members

So Devon looks like an asswipe now? OK, good. My feeling is that Bryton can play anything subtly and well, and he has been chomping at the bit for anything that will give Devon some contour and life. And tbh, when we fall in lust/love for somebody completely inappropriate, suddenly peope take all kinds of crazy risks and do stupid [!@#$%^&*] because the feels are so strong. Hilary and Devon are playing it as rational, calm, collected people who, despite everything, fought the feels and now are pretty much no longer fighting them. Even if it is in front of Neil. I am sure in their mind they are rationalizing it as "He can't see it, so it's not really happening. It's ok! Nobody will know but us two that we are flirting mightily and eye-[!@#$%^&*] the hell out of each other."

FWIW, I do think Devon loves Neil deeply, and that Hilary feels love for Neil too (probably confusing love with the need for a father-figure she never really had -- remember her crush on Jack. Damn, that was so good, too bad the writers dropped that). But them pheromones, man. They literally cannot see straight because they are all about their crush on each other.

• Members

Also I am loving GT at the moment. I can't get over how much she has aged since GL, but I am sure wardrobe and makeup will rectify that in coming weeks. Right now, with her short hair, make-up less face and hitchhiking self, GT/Phyllis is almost this feral woman out for revenge and you have NO clue what she is about to do next. It's like the distilled essence of Phyllis before she went Giggly. I sort of love this story and it is by far the most interesting part of the show right now. In my humble opinion.

• Members

I don't think that's the intention though. I know that some people think so, but I'm not buying it. Whatever the fault of this regime, I think they've tried to do better by the AA characters. Not just tried, they've done it overall. We no longer have Winter's Wednesday with throw away scenes. They've added character and even given Lily some depth.

It's not perfect and they've had some failures with Tyler and Leslie, but overall I don't believe they are trying to make Hilary hated. At least, not anymore than they've tried to make Phyllis or Sharon hated over the years. If these characters aren't doing anything wrong, they aren't going to be in the thick of the drama.

• Members

Agree with all this. I just regret this story told this particular way. And for what it's worth, if it were not for Bryton and Mishael, this SL would be a total disaster. Their chemistry and skill is saving it and the only thing making it semi work. The writing is abysmal. I think that is my complaint. If you want me to feel bad for Hilary and Devon and their star crossed love, write it that way. Instead it is written for people to say "poor blind Neil". Again, for whatever it is worth, there seem to be more folks rooting for Devon and Hilary than against. So maybe it isn't that bad.

• Members
I think Mishael is a find. She is engaging, beautiful, and can act. I like watching her. With the right writing, Hilary can recover from this triangle. What makes you think she won't get story after the divorce from Neil?

I just think that they put Hilary with Neil first on the off chance that viewers would take to the pairing. They wanted to give their lead the opportunity to see if he could make it work with their new well recieved AA actress. The first one since the 90's by the way. So now, the story has morphed into this.

Archived