ALL: Re-casts that changed a storyline?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Didn't Koslow play Kate more like Deb Adair did when she first joined? I think it was a few years into her run when the show started to morph Kate.

Speaking of Deb Adair.. When she played Jill.. didn't the character change while she played her since she replaced the short term replacement Bond G.. and made Jill a little nicer.. and that changed once Brenda Dickson came back?

• Members

I liked Deb Adair as Jill. To my mind, she gave Jill an air of sophistication that was ruthlessly stamped out the moment she was recast. (that's my impression anyway, I can't specifically back it up.) I like Jess Walton, but part of me cringed at the way her Jill was always presented---loud jewelry, big hair, constant animal prints and a fashion sense that always remains just a little bit low-rent.

• Members

Adair had a strong personality as Kate, but she had dimensions. She wasn't just a vixen, or just a foil for Sami. I loved her in the part, and her scenes with Vivian were fantastic.

Koslow's Kate is entertaining, but not as compelling for me. She vamps it up more. She does good work with what they give her, but Kate changed when she inherited the part.

• Members

When Emma Samms took over for Pamela Sue Martin in 1985.

SueMartinSamms.jpg

Good lord! Talk about one of the worst recasts in soap opera history.

For four glorious seasons, Martin's Fallon Carrington was bratty, bitchy and beautiful ... yet we always rooted for her in the end.

Did Samms even screen test for the role or did honchos just say Give us that popular heroine from GENERAL HOSPITAL!? because she was terrible in the role ... for the last four years the show breathed life. Not once did she show that same spunk, temper or charisma that Martin's Fallon had.

No wonder Jeff left her for the town tramp, Sammy Jo. The new Fallon was a wimp. And she cried way too much! blink.png

• Members

IDA. Her final season was glorious as it was a return to form of classic Fallon. Emma did great in season 9. She was an odd recast but the role of Fallon had already been watered down by the time PMS left the role. Fallon in season 4 was a disappointment. She wasn't the bitchy vixen of the earlier seasons

• Members

The recast of Amanda was ridiculous. All of a sudden she was American. I guess it was kind of like Blair no longer being Asian on OLTL.

I loved PSM as Fallon, and Emma Samms could never fill her shoes. But that doesn't mean that she is to blame for the writers' decisions. In that final year, she really brought the real Fallon home. Season 9 Fallon was a far cry from that unrecognizable character on the Colbys.

I agree that Fallon started to be watered down in PMS's final year, but that doesn't mean it would have remained that way. The character had to mature, and sometimes the writers have a difficulty making that adjustment right away. Had PMS stayed, I think it is unlikely that we would have ever seen the role change to the extent that it did under Emma Samms on the Colbys.

Finally, I have to say that the Dynasty movie was a disaster. The recast Adam and the original Steven couldn't hold a candle to Gordon Thompson and Jack Coleman.

• Members

Fallon was only interesting in the first and final season. Regardless of who was playing her the other years she was unwatchable and boring. I did love Emma Samms on The Colbys, because it her stories were so soapy and over the top and her acting was SO BAD that it was comical. Similar to why Charity Rahmer is my favorite Belle.

• Members

They never would have had to recast Adam had Spelling Productions given Gordon Thomson sufficient notice. As it was, he had just started on SB and when he was finally asked at the 11th hour to do the reunion movie, SB was unable to spare him. So Spelling Productions cut off their nose to spite their face on that one because Mr. Thomson was willing to do the reunion.

• Members

IA. I noticed how they started to defang Fallon once Alexis hit. It was like there was only room for one big bitch on the show and Fallon lost a lot of her spunk to accommodate Joan's arrival. PSM's Fallon was boring by the time she left. Emma was amazing in season 9

That was probably my favorite scene of her

Archived