ALL: Re-casts that changed a storyline?

• Members

During the era of Fake Greenlee, the character was put into situations where she was much nicer than Rebecca's interpretation. It seems, after the original came back, they immediately had Greens pining after Ryan and gaining back her edge. I'd also argue that an Asian Blair wouldn't have been paired with Todd.

Can you think of other examples?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

On AW, Vicky and Marley were originally supposed to be 2/3 of triplets (with Scott LaSalle being the third triplet). But the plot twist was shelved when Anna Stuart left the show in 1986 (before coming back three years later) and Philece Sampler was cast as Donna, who looked way too young to be Hank Cheyne's mother (and in truth, really looked too young to be Ellen Wheeler's mother). By the time Anna Stuart reclaimed the role in 1989, Scott LaSalle had long been out of the picture.

• Members

When Y&R recast Gloria they completely changed the character. She went from an Anna Nicole/Goldie Hawn type to a Joan Collins balls to the wall bitch, as Joan Van Ark described it. That's why Joan said she left, because she preferred the original interpretation. I feel Joan just was worried because Lynn Latham was joining the show and she has been very open about her dislike for her.

• Members

for like the first 3 months following her debut and then they changed the character for the baby switch. Babe wasn't a sexpot beyond her initial material and that had nothing to do with Amanda Baker. AB's casting didn't change the direction of any storyline. Now people can argue her acting and not liking her as a recast but her material was exactly in line with what AH was getting. She stepped into the Ritchie/JR story and it proceeded as planned with a new face. Nothing was changed to adjust for her

• Members

Bringing Chad Brannon in as Zander on GH. The original Zander, who kidnapped Emily, was bigger and more thuggish-looking. I don't know if it was always the plan to pair the two but the part was recast before the romance began.

And I would say the multiple Mary Ryan Fenelli recasts on RH changed that storyline. The character was killed off because none of the recasts were well-accepted.

• Members

Lots of recasts changed a character, but I can't think of one that changed an entire storyline. Maybe Robin Mattson as Heather on GH. From what I have read she was supposed to be psycho and have killed Diana, but Monty finally found a Heather she loved, and decided to make her a schemer, but not an outright psychopath.

• Members

I got the feeling that they had hedged their bets on Sabine Singh almost from the beginning - they wrote her into the ground and then paired her with Aidan, who was far, far from a top-tier leading man on the show at that point. I think that was their way of compartmentalizing and kind of dismissing the recast as irrelevant compared to Budig. Then again, they may have reconsidered her value by the end, when they were (IIRC) heavily testing her with Zach, but while they continued that with Budig they ultimately, mercifully dropped it.

I thought she did a fine job, but I suspect the show was never truly committed to her. Same goes with Y&R's current disastrous Old Man Billy Abbott.

• Members

That casting did provide a boost to the canned dog food industry! (I still can't believe people sent Alpo cans!) Anyway, whoever made the decision to fire ART was a complete buffoon.

AW: Two key changes: Taylor Miller to replace Mary Page Keller as Sally - the whole story imploded and they ended up killing Sally. 2) Nancy Frangione taking over the role of Cecile because the previous actress' agent messed up her contract. Cecile was kind of tame and a bit bland, but NF upped that ante. (I never expected it because I remembered her as boring, plain Tara.)

ATWT - Lisa & Margo. When Eileen Fulton quit the show in early 80s, the recast for a year? was Betsy von Furstenberg who played the role as this icy, upper-crust snob, which was a far cry from Lisa, who was far earthier and warmer. It was very jarring. Margo, when Ellen Dolan left and Glynnis took on the role, Margo was suddenly this very butch cop with a chip on her shoulder, once again, a big change in attitude - Margo under ED was tough, but warm, maternal, etc. this Margo came across as mean. It's no coincidence that both recasts were replaced by the previous actor.

I'll remember others later!

• Members

Pierce Riley on All My Children

The ridiculously good-looking Jim Fitzpatrick seemed to have a handle on this character and it seemed the show was setting him up to be a lead right up there with Tad, Adam, etc. but of course Jim got canned (doing a Michael Muhney you could say) and the role was later played by two other very good looking men, within a six-month period, including Maxwell Caulfield.

But the character never picked up the kind of steam as played by Fitzpatrick and no longer even seemed to be an important part of the Pine Valley canvas.

• Members

Over at SB, when the already insanely popular Dane Witherspoon was let go and his role as Joe Perkins recast, fans were up in arms. They brought in Mark Arnold, who had a solid soap pedigree of his own (3 1/2 years as Gavin Wylie on EON), but his arrival was not greeted warmly by either the fans or his leading lady, Robin Wright (who was Dane Witherspoon's RL leading lady by this time). The chemistry that RW had with DW was just not there with MA, and by that time, Eden and Cruz were becoming the show's new breakout couple. Finally, Joe was killed off - and stayed dead.

Archived