Most Polarizing Characters?

• Members

A recent post about GH's Liz Webber got me thinking about this. I don't watch GH but I can always tell when Liz has been on because the activity in the GH thread skyrockets. Viewers seem to passionately love her or hate her and they have been fighting about her for YEARS. It made me think about which other characters on soaps inspire this reaction? And I do mean CHARACTERS, not actors. Polarizing actors would be an entirely different thread. Who are the characters where you know that the mention of their name is going to turn that thread into Bloods vs. Crips?

For me it's Liz, Bianca Montgomery and my girl, Evangeline Williamson.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OLTL's Todd. Compelling introduction, then they wanted to keep him do they tried to redeem him. It seems he has been very polarizing since.

GH's Liz is an interesting example. She could have ended up a Mary Sue type pretty easily. But the writers let her make mistakes and even hurt people. She has the worst relationship track record on the show.

• Members
Something about that sentence cracks my [!@#$%^&*] up.

It's moments like these when I miss R Sinclair. Whenever someone broached the subject of Liz, he would post the most amazing, fall-down-funny "LIZ BASH COMING!!!" pics.

Yeah, now everyone just hates her. ;)

This might be too old-school, but what about GL's Reva?

• Members

I think some characters like GH's Jason and Y&R's Phyllis but now people veer towards dislike or not caring. I think Blair on OLTL caused extreme feelings on both end of the spectrum for many people. People would get into heated discussions about Natalie. Same with Sami which has already been mentioned. E.J. as well. I think this trend usually follows female schemers who generate enough hype. And then of course it gets more complicated with couplings.

• Members

Did people dislike Beverlee 's Alexandra Spaulding? I love her, but I also really like Kimberly Simms as Mindy, and I could see where people would side with Mindy back then. I've only seen that era of the show from YouTube.

I think Nikki Newman is polarizing. Especially during the early years of Victor and Ashley, and her relationships with Victoria and Sharon. I'm talking when Bill Bell was still there. Nikki was such a snob back then.

Carly on GH has also been a divisive character for fans. I think the show revolving around her vagina for most of the 2000's was a huge part of the decline of GH, and this is coming from a fan of the character.

Archived