Missed storylines

• Members

Basically, storylines soaps had the chance to do but didn't.

GH

Lucas finds out Carly ruined his parents marriage and is angry as hell. He plots to ruin Carly's life, causing a sibling rivalry that would play out for years. Meanwhile, bobbies right in the middle.

Making Irina the new face of the dying Cassadine family.

OLTL

The reason why Jack randomly went out for Shane? They hooked up!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stories that AMC could have done but didn't:

- Brooke and Edmund marrying in 1994 and Erica, Dimitri, Edmund and Brooke all living together at Wildwind.

- Erica having Dimitri's baby. She'd wanted another baby since Bianca's preschool years, and she was so happy to be pregnant by Dimitri. I always loved the idea of Erica having a son, but the unabortion was so NOT the way to do that.

- Alice Hart moving to Pine Valley and wanting to be part of Kendall's life and her grandsons' lives. I hated that she was wiped off the map and never mentioned again.

- If TIIC had to do a sci-fi baby story for Erica, they should have done a stolen egg story. No, it wouldn't have been scientifically accurate, but it would have been damn more feasible than the unabortion, and ANYONE could have been Josh's father.

- Bianca having an affair with a bi-curious Laura English. It would have been infinitely more interesting than Laura/Leo and making Laura the "bad" one so Greenlee could look better, and given how many women Bianca supposedly turned gay, it would have been nice to see her get involved with someone who ultimately decided that she would rather be with a man. Plus the Erica/Brooke snark potential would have been through the roof.

- A romance between Adam Chandler and Mary Smythe. Anna Stuart was so wasted on AMC. There was so much potential there.

- An Anna/Jack pairing. They worked together as Chief of Police and District Attorney but didn't like each other, and they were involved with people who shared a romantic history as well (David and Erica), and I thought it would have been very interesting to see them together or to see Erica in a triangle in which she didn't get the man and Jack in a relationship with someone less high maintenance but who still had a strong personality.

- Bringing Travis and Barbara and their kids back to Pine Valley. Killing him off was a bad idea. They could have just said that Bianca was fighting with Barbara and Barbara pushed Travis to have Bianca stay in Pine Valley. I would have loved for Larkin Malloy and Susan Pratt to come back longer term. Erica and Barbara's dislike for each other was so much fun to watch. I loved that they did eventually bring Barbara back, but it was too little, too late.

• Members

ANOTHER WORLD: Dr. Alice Matthews (Jacqueline Courtney) returns again to Bay City and gradually -- gradually -- becomes romantically involved with her colleague at Bay City General Hospital, the much-younger Dr. Jamie Frame. (Not out of spite, either, but because the two, while working closely together, discover how much they have in common. And yes, as Alice becomes aware of the growing feelings between them, she is also wary of acting upon them, more so than Jamie, it seems. I want to make all that very clear.) However, Jamie and Alice's relationship once again pits Alice against Steve's mother and her former nemesis, Rachel Cory. But this time, it's Steve's son -- and ironically, the child whose very conception created the biggest personal obstacle for Steve and for Alice -- who is at the center of an emotional tug-of-war between the two women.

• Members

ALL MY CHILDREN: Erica fears the worst when she discovers a lump in her breast. Of course, Erica being Erica, she denies even to herself that there is anything to worry about...until, that is, it reaches the point where she cannot deny it any longer. Erica undergoes a biopsy and -- just as she had feared -- the tumor is malignant. As family and friends alike rally around La Kane, and the public-at-large learns of the diagnosis as well as her decision to combat it with a combination of radiation therapy and chemo (actually, Erica didn't want the whole world to know, out of fears of what the news might do to her career, but she is forced to after a national tabloid threatens to go public with the story), the foundation is laid either for a Jack/Erica reconciliation or a triangle involving him, her and the doctor assigned to her treatment (a new character, hopefully played by a handsome, older leading man who can act). And Kendall, aware of the history of cancer among the women in her family (first, Mona; and now, Erica), undergoes tests of her own to determine whether she carries the so-called "breast cancer gene." When those tests reveal that her chances of contracting the same cancer are significant, Kendall decides to undergo a double mastectomy.

• Members

GL:

The return of the Marler twins, Jason and Kevin. I said in another thread that Kevin should've reconnected with Rick, who was originally thought to be his father, much to the chagrin of Blake. Jason, on the other hand, should've been the modern day Roger Thorpe. A vengeful, complex, social-climbing playboy. Pissed about the Spauldings (Phillip) and Bauers (Rick) having a hand in Ross' plane crash, Jason would target them.

Alan & Rita's son should've came to town and with the help of black sheep Alan Michael and a disgruntled Jason, they should've single-handedly dismantled the Spaulding empire.

Leah, having an estranged relationship with Rick, could've easily been Jason's target. Jason could've deflowered and later married her in a loveless marriage (a la Roger/Holly) to stick it to Rick.

ATWT:

The show failed to bring on a daughter (or son) of Sabrina or Frannie. Both of have been of the decades and the show desperately needed a young Hughes heroine. As I did on my blog (here), it could've easily been done.

Lisa, Babs, and Carly--three women who have been female pariahs in Oakdale at one point, should've been went into business together (again) and opened up a fashion house. The endless tension and egos between the ladies would've provided tons of drama and comedic performances.

Y&R:

Heather being a vixen. When Vail Bloom finally hit her stride, the show stupidly got rid of her. It would've been so juicy if the show would've tossed her in JT's (Paul's close friend) orbit. Heather v. Victoria could've actually been good. Nikki being conflicted because she is good friends with Paul and was courting him at the time. Victor and his hatred for Heather. Could've been good....

Still on Heather, Heather and Ricky's relationship. Instead of making him a homicidal maniac, Ricky should've followed his dad's footsteps and became a playboy. It would've been endearing to see Ricky and Heather bond over Paul neglecting them as kids. And Ricky could've easily been paired opposite Abby, thus creating more tension between the Newman and William clans.

Liz's death (with Snapper's return) should've led to the reintroduction of Brooks/Fosters/Prentiss clans. Brooks, Chucky, and Jennifer could've easily been brought back through that story.

B&B:

Marcus's text message story. He should've been having an affair with Amber at the time and was sending her sexy texts when he hit that man. Thomas should've got wind of it and blackmailed Marcus into jilting Dayzee at the altar. Thomas could've been there to pick up the pieces, thus leading to their reunion ONLY for it all to come crashing down when Marcus, guilt-ridden, came clean.

• Members

ATWT completely whiffed on Adam discovering Hal was his biological father. For the three-plus years of tension surrounding his paternity pickle, they could have picked up that thread when Adam was a teen and was told the truth. Instead it basically was Adam shrugging his shoulders and saying "can I go out to play now?" Ditto with Susan/Emily/Alison, given that egg donation and complicated family history.

I also thought ATWT missed a huge opportunity in never exploring Jack's past. I always wanted to see more of a showdown between him and James, given that Jack had infiltrated James' organization. Granted, Anthony Herrera's visits were never long, but I would have longed to see Jack's angst take a direction not attached to his love life----at least a little.

• Members

DAYS: If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times (or more) -- John Black IS Stefano DiMera's son. But what I've never said is that Stefano doesn't know he is his son; at least, not at first. You see, when Stefano was a young man, he had fallen in love with a maid who worked for his family. In fact, Stefano was so much in love with this girl, he contemplated leaving the family and establishing himself legitimately within the business world. However, Stefano's dad was furious -- one, that his son would be so willing to walk away from the dynasty he had built for him to assume the reins of upon his death; and two, that he would be willing to do this for a common chambermaid. So, Stefano's dad (possibly in cahoots with Daphne, a much more "suitable" woman, whom Stefano was supposed to wed in an arranged ceremony) manipulated Stefano into believing he, too, was involved with the girl. Stefano broke off the relationship and reunited with Daphne. Santo exiled the girl both from his household and his village (unaware, of course, that she was pregnant with his grandchild). Stefano turned Santo's capos against him, assuming the reins of the DiMera empire after ordering his own father's gangland-style execution. Years later, when Stefano learns of a young man who he THINKS is his half-brother and the result of his father and soulmate's betrayal, he orders him killed as well. Only, when the man who comes to be known as "John Black" manages to avoid the attack on his life, Stefano decides he has other, more devious plans in mind for him....

• Members

Y&R completely ignored Matt Miller, Victor's brother.Depending on the time frame he could have returned and renewed his friendship/relationship with Ashley, which displeased Victor.That in turn,upsets Nikki etc

Or later,Victor/Nikki hear that Matt has died and discover he has a teenage daughter who they take in.She could be overwhelmed by their lifestyle,have a scheming boyfriend who sees the Newman wealth as a ticket to easy st. etc

When Paul was involved with Maggie the cop.she could have encountered a former lover,a woman.Paul figures something is going on and she finally reveals she is bisexual. Paul freaks out and Maggie challenges him,saying that her feelings for him are genuine and Paul has to deal with the whole situation.

• Members

They also should have eventually married and had a kid or 2 continuing the Carlton, Grainger,Fenmore and ABBOTT legacy.

They also should have either made up another "Sheila" for Scotty to have an affair with, and for Colleen to battle, or a "male" Sheila that seduces Colleen from Scotty and becomes a lifelong enemy of his....

• Members

Love these two.

I would add:

-In 2000, Not reuniting Brooke and Edmund when it would have been organic to the story. Brooke reeling from Elliot's betrayal (he was actually the man who killed her 1st Laura), and Edmund reeling from being unceremoniously dumped by Alex when Dimitri returned from the dead, which then would have (and should have) played greater into Maureen/Maria's return.

-In 2002, I also felt that it should have been Tad, not Brooke, who met the real Maureen/Maria, and had him withhold the truth from Brooke/Edmund. Tad thinking he was doing right by Brooke because he had destroyed Edmund and Brooke's happiness the first time around, and then the guilt finally getting to Tad because he had lived a lie as Ted Orsini, so how could he do the same thing to Maureen/Maria. Then, create a quad with Brooke/Edmund/Maria/Tad, which would have been tons better than her roaming around with Aidan.

-In 2000, It should have been JR Chandler in need of a heart transplant. They had the character experimenting with drugs at a young age, and he had a genetic predisposition because of Dixie's heart problems.

-In 2005, While I'm absolutely happy with Brooke's final resolution and romantic partner, if they were going to fire John Callahan, and then let Julia Barr go the following year, they just should have let them ride into the sunset together (which would have still served to punish JC/EL and Edmund/Maria, because no doubt the characters were definitely burned because of the real life issues happening with the actors).

-In 2005, Babe and KWAK never should have happened. Alexis and Bobbie should have played Amanda and Janet. The story would have played so much better with all the characters being legacy, and Janet's craziness would have made the plot more plausible as well as her controlling Amanda, and Amanda being caught up in the ludicrously of it all. JR and Jamie fighting over Amanda given that all three were best friends when they were younger would have also been more organic to the overall story.

-In 2010, Miguel and Damon as long lost sons should never have happened - Miguel's story was dropped altogether, and if they weren't going to bring on Hilary for Tad, what was the point.

-In 2010, While I appreciated Lorraine Broderick's reasoning for making Annie the donor for JR, I think the story would have come full circle so much better if it had been Brooke as the donor. Brooke's DNA running through Adam Chandler's son's veins, and Brooke saving "giving" life to JR Chandler, creating a biological connection between Adam, Brooke and JR would have been so rich to their history. JR would have also had more motivation to reunite Adam and Brooke because of gratitude, and it still would have lead to getting rid of Annie by any means possible, including sleeping with her, and then BAM - there is an unexpected connection between JR and Annie.

• Members

GL:

Had GL not been cancelled, word was that they were going to bring Marah back as well. I think that it would've been a good story to had have an accident (off-screen) where Olivia's brother [sam] died in an accident that involved Marah to reintroduce her to the canvas. It would've reignited Olivia v. Marah AND potentially Reva v. Olivia. I feel like Olivia always worked best as a vixen and she was declawed way too soon.

GL should've played up Vanessa and Matt's breakup way better. It should've been a messy divorce with their pasts being brought up as they fought for custody of Maureen. This could've opened the door for an early return of Ed along with Nola and Quint. Ed could've played the neutral party, trying to get Matt and Vanessa to find common ground. Meanwhile, busybody Nola could've came to Matt's defense [putting her at odds with Vanessa again] and Quint on Vanessa's side. Once this wrapped up, Anthony and his cousin Tom [Tony's son] could've returned and been the new young male leads alongside Bill. I think a Bill/Lizzie/Anthony triangle would've been scandalous as the two cousins would've fought for Lizzie's affection. And once again, it'd be Vanessa v. Nola--a great play on history.

After Coop's death, Rocky should've returned. It would've been good to see Rocky give Lillian, who was dating Buzz, grief as he felt Beth had a hand in Coop's accident and death.

Archived