What storylines do you think soap operas would never do?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Days NEEDS to do this. Have one of Daniel's patients come back as a psycho out for revenge. We know he sleeps with all his patients so maybe he took advantage of one real bad before coming to Salem and she's out to stop him from ever doing it to anyone again. Unlike Stefano's plot, she actually pulls it off (no pun intended)

Speaking of which, Passions already did a castration. Julian had his d--k cut off and Eve, while drunk reattached it backwards

• Members

I hadn't heard of the Rebecca/donkey plot, either. I should have guessed Passions would have done something like that. That's the same show that gave us the story of an illegitimate boy who would become pregnant by his own father. *shakes head* After the show had gone off the air, Tracey Ross (Eve) revealed that she found the entire story repulsive, but everyone did their best.

Didn't GL do a story about teen suicide? Wasn't Ben Reade still a teen when he took his own life?

• Members

Yeah, PASSIONS grew really wild toward the end.

Off the top of my head: a serial killer story where we know the killer's identity from the very beginning. And, of course, a love triangle involving a guy, a girl, and another guy or girl who is bisexual.

• Members

To me, PASSIONS was always a little "off," but I never could tell whether that story in particular was born out of desperation (over bad ratings and pending cancellation) or out of indifference and defeat (over JER's "baby" being "killed").

• Members

I don't know if an American daytime soap ever did a storyline of true police brutality or a death of a suspect in police custody. Where a major character died at the hands of a policeman/woman who is also a major character on the show.

I remember on ATWT in the 1980s, Detective Roy Franklin had a brother who was shot and killed by the police but the storyline was part of Roy's backstory, it never played out onscreen. We only saw Roy's father bitterly complain that the cops shot and killed his son and he was in disbelief that his other son became a cop after that. Those scenes were well played but it was well in the past by the time audiences heard about it. We never saw Roy's brother or the nameless, faceless cop who shot him. Just a recollection from Roy's father.

Archived