If you were EP of DAYS, who would you fire?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We don't build a show around 87 year old retired actors and botox - wax figures masquerading as actors. It's time for a new casting director and new blood. Go to NY and find some bad ass actors with skill and color. I do have a soft spot for Maxine; they should put her on contract and build out her working class family. I want to see East Salem and the way the half live.

• Members

Side note: Remember when they had Aunt Vi's or something, a restaurant that Abe & Lexie would frequent around 2000? Was that East Salem? :) And who was the guy in the wheelchair that worked with Sami at the hospital? I think Abe caused his paralysis as a kid. Good grief, I'm getting old. The specifics are so hazy.

• Members

Just my two cents, but I think Tomlin has a lot of contempt for the vets and the long-time fans. It's almost like he's shaking a middle finger at us saying "You'll watch what we want to write and like it."

We can walk away, Gary. ;)

I like a lot of suggestions I've seen here! The best thing to do is restore a lot of the older characters beloved by the audience, THEN build your new characters off of that. If you wrote good, believable story the ratings would likely follow. I hope.

• Members

I like Gary Tomlin. He's not perfect but he brought in a mostly stellar writing team and has had some great story. His main blind spot is revolving so much story around Shawn Christian. I don't despise SC like many on this board do but they've gone overboard in making him a lead on the show.

Gary's vision would be better executed I believe if (a) the show had a reasonable budget and (B) if they didn't have to write the material seven months to a year ahead. You figure that if they are filming final scripts four to five months ahead then the story lines and outlines are done way more in advance. That doesn't allow the writing team to see what's happening on the screen and make modifications. One pertinent example is the Abby/EJ affair. It could have rocked the show for months and been revised to be more interesting if the writers had seen how much chemistry the two actors had and how much Mansi stepped up her acting.

• Members

I agree that having too much lead time between writing and producing episodes and seeing them on air is hurting DAYS. But I really don't think Gary Tomlin or Christopher Whitesell have what it takes to be a good HW'ing team.

• Members

I don't ever want to see Tomlin as EP again. How you forgotten about the awful pink lighting in 2009-2011.

I think the place was called Lady Vi's. The guy in the wheelchair was Larry Morris. Abe shot him by accident many years earlier. Brandon convinced Larry to sue Abe and the Salem PD. Brandon later got Larry a job at the hospital and he had a thing for Sami.

I agree, Tomlin and Whitesell have to go.

• Members

Tomlin/Whitesell aren't going anywhere. The show is not likely to be renewed and Corday will not make writer changes after the show has garnered critical and award claim. There's no one out there that he'd hire and besides, the writing team is already writing at least seven months ahead which puts them at March 2015. The show will likely not be on the air past its most recent renewal dates which is Sept 2015 I think...

• Members

He and Susan recently took a cross-country road trip that lasted over two months and he tweeted and shared pictures the entire time. He seems fine. He and Susan just taped the Christmas episodes. Obviously, Doug isn't going to be a lead character again but I would love to see him more than once a year, especially leading up to the 50th anniversary. It will be unforgivable for me if Doug and Julie don't have a major role in that.

• Members

It does seem that ever since Tomlin took over all vets over a certain age were pushed back to supporting (John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, Kayla, Adrianne, Stefano with the exception of Kristen/Eileen Davidson and Jennifer/Melissa Reeves) and the 30 somethings or younger moved to being leads like Brady, Nicole, EJ, Sami, Melanie, Stephanie, Philip, etc. I understand the need to shake up DAYS, but how Tomlin has executed this has hindered the storytelling of the show. For example Kristen's return and exit being less about Marlena and more about Brady/Eric/EJ/Sami.

If said person is over the age of 50, he strives in writing them as either a mustache twirling villain such as Victor and Kate, a busy body saint such as Maggie, or just dull such as John.

Actually now that I think about it, he really does seem to fail to write for men above the age 40.

• Members

Since AS and JS are leaving, can they afford Peter Reckell now?

I'd fire Chrishell Stause...she'd be better on B&B as nu Steffy

Galen Gering

Jen Lilley

Brother d-bag may he never return

True O'Brien

Reduce airtime Shawn Christian

Josh Taylor

Contract: Brendan Coughlin

Marybeth Evans

Meredith Scott Lynn [Anne Milbauer]

Start casting Maxine Landis' missing sons

Make Mary Beth, Paige's friend, her granddaughter

Start story arcs with past favorites that start next summer, since they're probably already filming next spring.

Archived