Y&R: August 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

I felt the same way about many of Jean Passanante's stories on ATWT. More often than not, it seemed, an already convoluted story would derail itself into total WTF-ery -- the climaxes for the first Adam story, the first Nuke vs. Colonel Mayer story and the Gwen/Cleo story come to mind -- as if either she or her EP had recognized that yet another one of her stories was going nowhere and this (ramping up the pace, skipping over beats, falling back on, as you say, old soap tropes (I still can't believe they actually tied Gwen to those railroad tracks!), throwing character turns and sudden revelations at us literally from out of nowhere, etc.) was their way to finish off everything as quickly and effectively as possible.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I honestly wish Neil were faking his blindness because he knows or at least suspects Devon and Hilary of having an affair. Otherwise, until they introduce Neil's new teacher/potential love interest, I don't know how I will able to sit through all this without laughing inappropriately.

• Members

The last thing I want is another Neil love interest.

Any unhappiness with Neil's blindness will not be cured by another woman he falls for in 5 minutes. The clumsiness with the blindness is a bit much, but other than that, I don't see the problem with this s/l.

JP has a co-head writer now and a different team than she had at ATWT. As of yet, I don't see wrecked and botched storylines, and Y&R seems to be in better shape than it has been in a while. Next to GH, it's Citizen Kane.

• Members

The blindness story is the worst I've ever seen in my eight years of watching soaps. But I can't tell if it's KSJ's bad acting oR the writing, both of which suck.

It's almost as if KSJ knows they plan to reveal Neil is faking his blindness and is playing it that way but if its the case it doesn't work when the audience doesn't know.

• Members

This whole let's-sit-down-and-write-Katherine-some-letters business is hokey as hell and So. Not. Y&R. And for the last time, will someone please tell me when Katherine Chancellor became the Grandma Kate Martin of Genoa City, WI? This might fly on DAYS or even GL, but not Y&R. Know the show you're writing for, ladies.

• Members

I am so saddened by the many squandered possibilities Katherine's death brought. That "old coot" would have taken advantage of the opportunity to really screw with Jill--even from beyond the grave!--in a nasty, delicious way. Not... this.

The character rewrite since 2003 or so has been so immense that more recent viewers are stunned, just absolutely stunned, and confused, to hear that Katherine could ever be mean or nasty. When in fact, that bitch was almost sadistic sometimes towards Jill (and that's why we loved her). Sigh.

• Members
Y&R has been ABCD-ified and I am both confused and saddened by the fact. And I say that as one who was a fan of many ABCD soaps.

Jesus Christ, we get it. Neil is blind. You don't need to hammer home that point at every damn turn.

Oh, what? WHAT? Jack had the chance to know a juicy secret and after psyching us out before the break, he gets a sudden spurt of conscience and adds the letter to the rest? Dammit, Aunt Jackie, what the fick happened to you!?

• Members

Super happy you asked. Should there be an obstacle? Absolutely! You have to keep it interesting, but here's my problem and I believe I've been pretty consistent. We have done this too many times with the Winters men, so I don't find this time around compelling! How long will they drag this out and make Neil look dumber than usual until no one cares?

YR already had Hill's crush on Jack and the gorgeous Esme as angst. Devon has 2 billion+ dollars and Neil has been an officer at 2 "Fortune 500" companies. To get back at Jack, build a company to rival Jabot with his father with Hill right in the middle working for Jack as Devon continues to seethe. Then, let gold digging Esme lie about being pregnant [Devon did have sex with her] to keep the young lovers apart. This crap with Neil? Been there done that too many times for me to care.

Archived