WoST- World of Soap Themes

• Members

You know, Youtube in a way has kinda spoiled me to the experience. There is SOO much soap opera up there now that I often just kinda think I'll save it for later, and never get around to watching it. I watch everything Loving I can find--because there's still so little, but even my beloved AMC, with all of those endless (and great) 80s edits, I've probably only seen half of them over the years, for example. Whereas with WOST I would watch EVERYTHING--even soaps I had zero interest in, and often be amazed with what I saw.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I filed a false copyright claim on WoST? That is news to me, lol. I didn't use this handle on the WoST message board. And also, I was long gone from WoST by the time it was a pay site. Interesting...

I remember the Scott Holmes stalker though. She used to post at MediaDomain too. Actually this is fucked up but I am smiling from the nostalgia of her being brought up. Yeah, she was creepy.

• Members

I have those on DVD from AWHP, Rachel's pretty tame in those scenes. But in that b&w kinescope where VW almost sounds like she's on helium, I seem to recall her being a naggy b. In the episode where she tries to drive Alice out of Steve's house, she is a freaking viper. I'm not sure if that's made it to YouTube yet, but it's essential viewing for fans who can't quite wrap their brains around how gutter elegant matriarch Rachel was in her salad days.

• Members

I remember the one you're talking about. Alice is on the verge of a nervous breakdown & Rachel's all "Steve promised this house to me! It's for Jamie! Jamie deserves this house!" and she keeps on and on and on! Just damn near HISSING at Alice who then becomes hysterical. I believe Aunt Liz (and maybe Jim?) are there, too, and quite literally have to drag Rachel out of the room. IMO, it was a truly FABULOUS performance by Victoria Wyndham and really shows what an evil, evil, EVIL bitch Rachel once was & could be.

• Members

One of the best things about WoST was the wealth of first hand knowledge from viewers who watched during the sixties and seventies. Priceless observations, details, anecdotes that you'll never get from synopses and with so many episodes lost forever.

• Members

Yes, exactly! Alice had lost Steve's baby and Rachel hisses, "What child did you ever give him?" Liz makes the most classic pained expression and Alice erupts and lunges at Rachel who trots down the stairs and out of the house. Awesome scene.

• Members

I was thinking about this episode the other day. I remember seeing it on WoSt and surprised that it hasn't made it's way to youtube. WoSt has some awesome stuff. I remember being blown away by seeing 70's Y&R posted there.

I also loved watching the 1968 Another World episode. Is the majority of the stuff 60's and early 70's AW stuff gone ? I read somewhere that Paul Rauch destroyed tapes and photos during his house cleaning days. On another board someone said that Robin Strasser stated most of her photos as Rachel had been destroyed by Paul except the few SOD had and other magazines ran back then.

I know that re-using videotape was a common practice in those days, but I can not believe how stupid they were not to of least saved the Alice/Steve/Rachel stuff. That storyline became their biggest rating bonanza.

• Members

Agreed. Very intelligent group of people who could recall and tell you things you otherwise would've never learned. And I was surprised at the beginning at how many of the posters were men (which would also explain why The Edge of Night was one the board favorites).

• Members

I remember how excited I was to first stumble upon the WOST site. Watching episodes was a trial during those dial-up days, but it was worth it. Somewhere I have a 2-CD set of soap music Brian prepared and offered as a subscription premium.

• Members

So were these all from the webmaster's personal collection or was he doing some tape trading thing? I'm fascinated to hear that he had a lot of the oh-so-rare Y&R from the early 70s. I've seen episodes of Y&R on youtube that look like they are like the network copies or something, rather than the one that aired on TV. How do people even get these? Connections to the TV industry? I remember reading about some lost episodes that were found when a day player, who had requested a copy of the show they appeared on, passed away and their copy was found (Edge of Night, maybe?). It's so interesting that someone could put that all together during the early days of the internet.

• Members

Yes--Lenore's wedding, sorry. But there are only two clips on YT, not the two full episodes... (SFK, you have the full ones don't you? ;) ) It was from Agnes Nixon's final few months (she wrote AW and OLTL at the same time for 6 or so months, just as she had written GL and AW both for around 6 months when she started at AW.) The quality is pretty bad, but I was just thrilled to see any Nixon AW.

Archived