NBC’s Classic Soap THE DOCTORS To Run On Retro TV Later This Year!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh wow, I totally forgot about that. Geesh, the writing was on the wall.

When SoapNet aired the I Love Lucci marathon, the background music in the scenes surrounding Erica's photo shoot at the Met sounded fishy/copyright cleared. I could be wrong. Just felt like some big pop song of the day should have been pumping in the background.

I remember flipping through the channels years ago and landing on GH, a no dialogue solo scene of Lucy up to some scheme, and I could hardly believe that they were playing this song from "the black stations": http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NDPHIKfpf6k

• Members

What is cool about that is the knowledge that they have episodes before 1967, probably the entire run. I think that's pretty cool. I secretly hoped they would have black and white episodes, but I think it's because that is what I'm used to. I remember seeing a promo (which I'm going attach) and it was so odd seeing those soaps in color since I'm used to seeing kinescope versions, but in that one promo those soaps looked so BEAUTIFUL. Between the sixties style and the colors to go with it, if The Doctors is similar this will be a treat.

This promo also features the only available glimpse of Return To Peyton Place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w99_UlaMmw

• Members

A more accurate idea of what late 1960s soaps really looked like (more specifically, 1968), here's this CBS promo for the lineup revision that happened in September 1968 to accommodate "Search for Tomorrow" & "The Guiding Light" expanding to 30 minutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrxtAWDvt8Q

• Members

I went to the Return To Peyton Place imdb board and found out a few things. They did a prime time special that was a climax of storyline and they flashbacked to it on the Mondays daytime episode. I wonder if that episode survives ?

Someone on the board said they have audio recordings they saved and took pictures off the screen with a polaroid......LOL

• Members

I thought that was the one you meant, Chris lol

Any opportunity to see soaps of this era in their original color gets me excited. I feel like in the early days of color TV, they really went all out with the bright, vibrant colors, and it looks breathtaking. I wonder what the picture quality if these episodes of The Doctors will be like if they haven't seen the light of day in over 45 years.

• Members

Back in the days of WoST, someone posted more pics of Marla from SS, and the woman was absolutely stunning. When she was back on Y&R in the '90s, a gentleman sent pics of his set visit to her into one of the soap magazines. He still loved her as Belle after all those years.

There's a short clip of her as Capitol's Myrna on my cobweb covered YouTube channel.

• Members

The primetime episode aired on a Sunday night at 10:00 p.m. I was about 10 at the time and got to stay up to watch it even though Monday was a school day! The episode focused on the murder of Allison's husband Benny Tate.

In those pre-VCR days, a number of fans would do audio recordings of soaps. I so loved the Texas theme that I recorded it off my TV before the series ended in December 1982.

• Members

Dark Shadows did that - it was garish at times but it was still so nice to see Victoria in all those blues and reds.

I hope if the show does OK they might air the B&W episodes at some point, or put them on DVD.

It would be nice if they would at least put clips that show Althea's first scene, Matt's, Maggie's, Nick's etc. I wish someone could write to them about that. Does Roger Newcomb still post here?

Archived