NBC’s Classic Soap THE DOCTORS To Run On Retro TV Later This Year!

• Members

Clips would be nice! They should be coming up with clip packages pre-1967 to set things up, plus promos for months in advance to really get people excited and wanting to get RetroTV added to their network. They don't wan to just drop it out there because it's important so many soap fans actually have RetroTV prior to the premiere.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish we knew the exact number of episodes they licensed so we know how much we're guaranteed to see. In 2004, Oxygen licensed a limited number of Neighbours episodes and then chose not to license any further episodes. Hopefully that's not what happens here, but them having what's basically a built-in stopping point worries me just a tad bit.

But whatever, 60s-era Liz Hubbard in vibrant color! And Gerald Gordon was still relatively new to the show. Can't wait to find a way to view.

• Members

Yeah, I've noticed this in the case of certain series on these antenna networks. Burns and Allen, Jack Benny, He-Man/She-Ra and the other '80s Filmation cartoons... only a limited number of episodes are selected for the syndication packages and before you know it, you've seen the same episode four times in a matter of months. I hope they don't do anything silly like skip chunks of episodes in between. Though maybe that's a good thing if it means getting a greater sense of the show?

• Members

I think he was just saying that in the format they plan to air the series in (two eps a day, five days a week - you know, a format that makes sense, Orpah), it would take six years to get to the end. Basically saying that it would take a long time to get all the way through no matter what. I personally think that's one of the strongest arguments for streaming these soaps.

• Members

I don't know, but one of my late acting school teachers had a recurring role on The Doctors and I'm clueless about when she appeared, so I'm really hoping I'll get to see her. I really appreciate that this show will see the light of day once more, but I'm antsy/anxious in a way that I would not be if we were offered a short-lived soap like Texas or The City. Hell, even Swan's Crossing or Tribes. Something is better than nothing, though.

• Members

Julia Duffy was on TD from 1973-77. In 1977, she also was a temp recast for Karen Wolek - after Kathryn Breech left and before Judith Light came in. She had a minor role on Love of Life in 1972, which is where she met her future husband, Jerry Lacy (Rick Latimer). There are a few photos of her on eBay from her stint on TD, if you are curious to see what she looked like then.

• Members

Many years ago, there was poster either here or at WoST who noted my interest in The Doctors and sent me a wordpad document with major story synopses from the entire series run. I can't remember if they were separated by year or just one long narrative, but I wish I'd saved it! This era that Retro will be showing, IIRC, is really when the show got going and was great soap. Remember, the earliest episodes were done in a weekly anthology format, though I don't know how long that lasted.

I think the character I'm most interested in seeing is Kathy Ryker, who was a villainess nurse played by Nancy Barrett in 1971-1972. I think NB was the second actress to play her.

Archived