New Irish Soap - Red Rock

Bright Eyes

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I started watching this show when it first started, but it was too infuriating to try and find the episodes. Seemingly, it may not be a problem anymore, so I've restarted. I'm currently on episode 20. The Sharon/McGonigle story is my favourite so far. Brian McGonigle is a slimy piece of work.

The first (and only so far) scene between the two matriarchs left me wanting so much more. And it's a bonus that there are some good looking men on the show, especially Richard Flood.

The two friendships between Paudge/Sharon, and Sean/Adrijan are a sweet touch. 

The way they revealed Angela's family life/strife was clever. As was the identity of Rachel reveal.

• Members

The Paudge storyline of season two has been a slow burner compared to the greatness of the McGonigle story, but the latest episode I watched (season 2, episode 23) was one of my favourites. The very last scene with Paudge playing pool, hitting all the balls in, only to get the white in the pocket at the end was such a great artistic way to reflect his situation. The woman brought in to interview everyone at the station was terrifying. She'd have me crying.

It was also a great twist to have Katie's fling from season one turn up again and reveal that he's a detective. Katie really likes to make things difficult for herself. The poor lass. Bridget will certainly have a field day with her choices in men. Still, one of my favourite things about the show is when they bring back characters that are seemingly only meant to be around for the story of the week elements. It really adds to the atmosphere and helps tremendously in completely engaging yourself in the their world.

Bridget is my favourite, her best scene being when she threw the cheque in Patricia's face. I wish they (the Kielys) weren't so afraid of success, but I guess the fear of being suffocated by Patricia Hennessey is much greater. It's refreshing to see the secret of how the two families first came to blows remain secret going into season two. It's always fun having something like that to dangle in front of the audience like a carrot on the string, just when you forget there's a secret to be shared. 

I'm so happy I decided to delve into the show again. It's so, so good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

OMG!  I just happened to catch this on Amazon Friday night and have been binging since.  I'm on eppy 27 and super happy.  Brian is a son of a bitch but I'm torn as to whether I want him caught or not.  He's so handsome.  Patricia Hennessey is probably my fav.  The Kielys are THE perfect trashy soap family.  The actress who plays Bridget is so much love.  

I initially thought Michael was the young rich douche but it's actually David.  How dare he think of running to Oz with his gf when his brother is covering for him.  David is a selfish liar and I'm happy Katie turned him in.  McKay and his wife are a great balance for the show. 

Sharon is being stupid.  I can understand keeping quiet and peacefully coexisting with Brian, but he is destroying her career right before her eyes.  Its time to talk!  

I anxiously await more showdowns between Patricia and Bridget.  I just love them both so much.  

Not sure why I didn't think to look into this category, but thank you Bright for pointing me in this direction.  

When is S2 on Amazon? 

• Members

My last post in this thread is about season two, so please don't spoil yourself. However, for some fun I encourage you to watch the "All I Want For Christmas" backstage video I posted. Angela pulls a blinder. 

There is one master class scene in particular in season two regarding Bridget/Patricia that I can't wait for you to see. One of those "Hell Yeah!" TV moments.

If you thought it was odd that Nikki was introduced in the first episode and then disappeared (I forget if she's already popped back up for you), there's a reason for it. Valerie O'Connor originally auditioned for another role (I'm assuming Claire), and though she didn't get it TPTB liked her so much they created the role of Nikki for her.

I also think Angela is an underrated character. Her story will not disappoint, I assure you.

I don't watch the show on Amazon, so I unfortunately can't help you there. 

As for David, he sure is a selfish pratt, but he's fit and charming enough to pull it off. I can't say I dislike/hate (that I'm not meant to, a.k.a Brian) any character on the show, really. Angela's husband probably comes up the rear on that score though.

• Members

To our friends across the pond, spread the word and get people onto Amazon to view this. Red Rock deserves a bigger audience across many planes. Series 2 (it can be argued) starts quite slowly. But then it gets to a point and you think "oh wait, it all makes sense".

It has been absolutely blinding up to now and the fact it seems to be gaining a third episode and an extended run this time as well as the deal with the BBC (I wonder if John Yorke being an Executive Producer and his history with BBC/Eastenders helped with that?) shows the quality being recognised.

• Members

Sharon's vindicated!  

I literally cried.  I can't remember the last time I felt a soap has given me a payoff for watching, but RR certainly did!  

At this time, I no longer feel that Brian is or was a villain.  He's a coward.  Paudge is the worst kind of friend.  Talked Sharon out of telling the truth initially and NEVER had her back during this whole ordeal.  Never!  Sharon has a really good lawsuit on her hands.  McKay failed to protect her, and if anyone asks why she said nothing from the beginning?  Look at how Brian turned the officers against her.  McKay allowed a woman to be terrorized by her supervisor and Brian played them all for fools.  

If I could hate a character, Sean would be that person.  He's a special kind of suck up and his stupidity is frightening.  He also looks like Asher from HTGAWM, and that definitely makes me hate him more.  

Liam hurts Patricia over and over without a single thought.  Moron!  Double that Jackass' rent, please!!!!!

Bright, I agree that Angela is a terrific character.  Her son is pathetic, but I can't say I hate her husband.  She has neglected the marriage for far too long, and he was honest and told her he's seeing someone else.  Time to move on from him.  

I'm so in love with this show.  I'm on eppy 36 now, and really looking forward to S2.  

You will NOT regret it!

• Members

I love the scene where Brian calls Sharon a stupid bitch, so she, losing herself completely, beats his ass. I couldn't have been happier in that moment. 

Westlife can certainly be aggravating at times, but when he finally realizes he does wrong, he fronts up. 

Angela's husband, who doesn't register enough for me to learn his name apparently, has that excuse I never sympathize with. But I will say, that story did not go where I thought it would. A surprising (not shocking), but surprising outcome.

Hurry up and get to that season finale. It's a good one.

One of my favourite things about the show is when they bring back some of the characters of the week in future weeks. It helps add to the atmosphere/world building of the show/town. Season two sees this happen in wonderful storytelling results with more than one area of the canvas.

Do you know what always makes me laugh? Vincent's clothes. They couldn't be more awful, but at the same time it helps endear me to him. I just wish we could get more focus on Keith. I have an inkling that if AMS were watching, he'd love him.

• Members

Vincent is possibly the proudest piece of trash I've ever seen on a soap.  He believes he has values.  The Kielys are grifters and I love them to pieces.  

What I also love about the show is how they write the cases.  They efficiently tie them up in a neat little bow in 2 eppies or less but you are never left scratching your head.  That is kinda of brilliant.  How can anyone do that for a show that's 22 minutes?  Somehow, RR makes it work.  

Sharon kicking Brian's ass was epic!  Then she goes in on Paudge, who deserved it more, IMHO!  

How about McKay clocking pathetic Brian in his office?  I love his leadership because he's a strong man.  I even love that he took a stand with Claire about the IVF.  That had the potential to destroy them, and McKay is right, they needed a break from it!

• Members

Such investment in such a short space of time. I don't know if Series 2 is on Amazon but if it is, it'll pull you in many emotional directions.

For example, at the very beginning, I thought I knew who I would root for and who I wouldn't but I now (in real time) like just about every character, faults and all and can understand them somewhat. 

And just about everyone has got their moment in the sun up to now, even the 'minor' characters like Adrijan, Connor Tyrell, Liam Reid, etc.

Archived