American Crime: Discussion Thread

• Members

I hate everything they've done in the last few episodes. No one is going to care about the rape now that Taylor shot another kid, so he just ends up becoming a monster in the eyes of the public. So there will never be any justice for the rape. No one cares about that anymore.

I'm so genuinely disgusted by Leslie, I don't even know what to do about it. Watch her run off into the sunset with a noble peace prize at the end of this.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I feel like the show needs two or three more episodes for this season. I just don't feel like it will adequately wrap up everything this Wednesday.

The police decided to not pursue the rape charges so I don't think there's any more they can do on that front. I'm just mad they haven't had a direct scene between Taylor and Eric. 

I I felt so bad for the teacher at the struggling school. And I hated that Latina teacher so much. I feel like she set him up to be screwed. 

• Members

My gut tells me no and his actions in the finale were beyond belief for me. I just don't get it. I'm glad Eric got his scene to tell his version of the truth and frankly he made a more compelling case about what happened that night.

That ending though.....not sure how I feel about it. I feel kinda sad that they didn't have a scene where Eric and his family bonded and mended fences (that is the dad and his brother who I thought was genuinely trying there at the end).

I liked the resolution/fall out for Regina King's character and the son. Leslie versus Dan....there was no winner there. At the end of it I was glad both of them were gone since fingers both toxic. 

• Members

I wish there had been at least one more episode to wrap things up.Who was after Sebastian? What did the teacher from the public school do with the information that Leyland paid off the girlfriend? I understand a cliffhanger keeps you wondering, but too much was just there. After a full season of twists/turns, a little more "oomph" in the finale would have made me happier....

• Members

Taylor was never going to get justice, so I pretty much wanted as much of a scorched earth as possible and that didn't really end up happening. So much was left unresolved, and it just made me angry. I felt that Eric, Leslie and Kevin and his parents all more or less got off scott free, which was ridiculously unsatisfying.

• Members

Disappointing finale from such an otherwise solid season. We didn't even hear Taylor's sentence. Is it truly official Season 3 won't be about that story?
I don't think they should have gone the shooting and killing another student route, it just changed the tone of the show and took it in another direction. And are we supposed to make up our own mind whether Eric raped him or not?
I was confused at the ending with Eric, who was it? Just another one of his random hook-ups?

• Members

It's ironic to me that everyone in the article is championing the writer for giving choices, when he so obviously didn't make one the entire time he wrote this story. He's pretty much been the proponent of everyone has their truth, and it's all equally real to that person's reality, but from a story making component, he really didn't make one choice at all during the finale. He purposely chose not to make a choice, and not to go into detail about what happened to these individuals. He didn't give the audience a proper ending, and him saying "make up your own", serves as a cope out here.

The tone of the ending was not hopeful at all to me, but maybe the issue here is that we shouldn't be emotionally involved in the story telling, and believe that there will be accountability for the actions of people, because so many of these characters did not get retribution for their actions in the situation. It's telling to real life, and I guess that's the purpose of his show. I know that I will probably not want to watch next season, if this is the template going forward.

I also kind of hate the fact that he doesn't let his actors know the course of their story, that seems profoundly unprofessional, and may end up leading to uneven performances, that could be more measured by comparison. From what I've always understood and saw, actors should know what's happening to their characters, so that they can evolve their performances accordingly. That's pretty much what all films, theatre and most television series work off of.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I just saw this, but uh, no - people working in episodic TV almost never know that much ahead of time. That's not unprofessional, it's just the way it's done. They find out at best a week or two in most cases. And the show has never given conventional 'retribution.'

• 1 month later...