The Flash: Discussion Thread

• Administrator

The Flash: Discussion Thread

The Flash - Barry Allen was just 11 years old when his mother was killed in a bizarre and terrifying incident and his father was falsely convicted of the murder. With his life changed forever by the tragedy, Barry was taken in and raised by Detective Joe West, the father of Barry’s best friend, Iris. Now, Barry has become a brilliant, driven and endearingly geeky CSI investigator, whose determination to uncover the truth about his mother’s strange death leads him to follow up on every unexplained urban legend and scientific advancement that comes along. Barry’s latest obsession is a cutting edge particle accelerator, created by visionary physicist Harrison Wells and his S.T.A.R. Labs team, who claim that this invention will bring about unimaginable advancements in power and medicine. However, something goes horribly wrong during the public unveiling, and when the devastating explosion causes a freak storm, many lives are lost and Barry is struck by lightning. After nine months in a coma, Barry awakens to find his life has changed once again – the accident has given him the power of super speed, granting him the ability to move through Central City like an unseen guardian angel. Though initially excited by his newfound powers, Barry is shocked to discover he is not the only “meta-human” who was created in the wake of the accelerator explosion – and not everyone is using their new powers for good. In the months since the accident, the city has seen a sharp increase in missing people, unexplained deaths and other strange phenomena. Barry now has a renewed purpose – using his gift of speed to protect the innocent, while never giving up on his quest to solve his mother’s murder and clear his father’s name. For now, only a few close friends and associates know that Barry is literally the fastest man alive, but it won’t be long before the world learns what Barry Allen has become…The Flash.

The series stars Grant Gustin (“Glee,” “Arrow”) as Barry Allen/The Flash, Candice Patton (“The Game”) as Iris West, Rick Cosnett (“The Vampire Diaries”) as Eddie Thawne, Danielle Panabaker (“Necessary Roughness,” “Justified”) as Caitlin Snow, Carlos Valdes (“Once” on Broadway ) as Cisco Ramon, with Tom Cavanagh (“Ed,” “Eli Stone”) as Harrison Wells and Jesse L. Martin (“Law & Order”) as Detective West. THE FLASH is produced by Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (“Arrow,” “The Tomorrow People,” “Green Lantern”), Andrew Kreisberg (“Arrow,” “Eli Stone”), David Nutter (“Arrow,” “Game of Thrones”) and Sarah Schechter. The pilot was directed by David Nutter. This series is based upon characters published by DC Entertainment.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Kind of a weird promo, as Flash's costume looks cheap and he seems like a bit of a punk. And it's barely about him.

Nice crotch shot for Stephen Amell. I have a feeling that's what will get the most attention out of this.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Saw the pilot and I did enjoy most of it though there was some dialogue here and there that was very cheesy and not in the fun kind of way. I'll just drop my opinion on a couple of tidbits and give a more in depth review in the fall.

I don't know where people are seeing chemistry between Barry and Caitlin because they had none and she is quite wooden. Cisco was also pretty annoying so overall I'm not impressed by the Star Labs team.

The scenes with Green Arrow I am pretty sure were filmed back when they wanted to do a backdoor pilot. Yeah those scenes were unnecessary and didn't flow. They could've left those on the cutting room floor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I thought the pilot was solid. Overall, the show isn't as dark as Arrow, but it's still good nonetheless.

I think the Olicity fans are behind the so-called chemistry between Barry and Caitlin. They're a snoozefest.

So great to see John Wesley Shipp as Barry's dad! He's the best part of the pilot.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I just squeed reading this!!!

Original 'Flash' star will reprise her role on the new CW series

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/15/flash-amanda-pays-cw/?hootPostID=9f0b36f8eb0f481fda2bf0b234ce1461

It’s been almost a quarter century since the CBS aired The Flash, a shortlived but fondly-remembered(-by-a-couple-people)(-including-yours-truly) attempt to tell an ongoing superhero saga on the small screen. In recent years, superpowered dramas have become quite common on television–to the point that DC Entertainment has a new Flash show launching this season on the CW, alongside network sibling Arrow and Fox’s Batman-minus-Batman prequel Gotham.

Although the new Flash is constructed as a completely new story about superspeedster Barry Allen, the show will honor the character’s TV past. We already knew that CBS-Flash John Wesley Shipp would appear as Barry Allen’s father on the new series. Now, EW has confirmed that original series star Amanda Pays will appear on the CW’s Flash–and in an intriguing twist, she’ll be playing Dr. Tina McGee, the same character she played on the 1990 series.

On the original series, Tina was the Flash’s sidekick–and over the course of the single season, Tina and Barry developed a kind of will-they-won’t-they relationship. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Tina will appear on the new Flash as an employee of a rival Very Big Science Company.

It’s unclear if Shipp’s character will ever interact with Pays, although presumably if they do interact, it would cause some kind of continuum-bursting TV-canon-rebooting Crisis event that would somehow involve Adam West’s Batman teaching the Batusi to Lynda Carter’s Wonder Woman and Stephen Amell’s Oliver Queen.

Edited by dragonflies

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Watched the pilot online (couchtuner)

Pretty good show. You don't need to have seen his Arrow episodes to pick this show up, as it starts before the Arrow story and then picks up after. So you could watch the first ten minutes of this show, pause it to watch the two Arrow episodes, and then come back to finish this. Gustin was a good pick, as he comes off very likable. They pretty much copy the Arrow formula and he ha an insta-team Flash inside of 30 minutes. The supporting cast I don't have much to say about yet as they are just your typical supporting casters (the genius nerd who invents gadgets, the girl who doesn't realize our star likes her, a not quite mad scientist, and a few other characters you could slap a label on easily)

The action sequences looked good and Green Arrow shows up to say hi (there will be a crossover in a couple of months). The costume looks better than the 1990 version. I recommend the show and it is a perfectly fine partner for Arrow, and I would say better than Gotham (which has aspirations of greatness whereas this one just wants to be a good show by duplicating the Arrow formula).