Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ma'am. You purposely left out when I said there was a stigma from racist stereotypes about black masculinity that shape the way black gay men are viewed by others in society black, white, or otherwise. If you're going to quote or comment what I said quote all of it. I didn't say white gay men don't have issues with being considered masculine. I just presented the fact that there is intersectionality and a host of stereotypes that white gay men do not have to deal with. Period.

Edited by Eric83

• Members

The sexual fluidity thing feels like a cop-out. It feels like a cop-out because there was such an emphasis on Jamal and his sexuality. It would be different if they showed us his struggle as a sexually fluid young man, but they showed us his struggle as a gay man. It feels hollow to me. And I didn't care much for Alicia Keys and didn't see the chemistry. I just can't see them running scared, so what is it? Lee Daniels still uncomfortable with himself and projecting? Chaiken being an idiot?

Andre and Rhonda are still treated like afterthoughts as is Anika, who I doubt pushed Rhonda. She's a red herring IMO. Maybe Camilla wants there to only be Hakeem's heir. I wonder how long they'll keep Anika around. Grace Gealey is being totally wasted.

Obnoxious Hakeem. Ugh. It's a crutch they keep going back to but I like that he actually seems to have some conflict.

It was a better episode and the focus was a bit better but it still has some work to do. They were building towards things in Season 1. They just aren't doing that this time. There are no real stakes. Things change every episode but nothing really does. I'm just not getting what they're trying to accomplish.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

THe best part of  this episode for me were literally the final moments. I did think that whoever was watching Camilla was holding a gun and I loved that it was Lucious. I could not stop laughing at his speech to her and him going on about how he now has to call Mimi's family and that she'll have to face them in court.  He should have made sure she died!

Oh god, please do not add Tiana back in that orbit because I can't do another go round with them two.

• Administrator

The ending of this Camilla/Mimi takeover was terrible because it all happened in one scene!  We didn't see Mimi react to the video. We didn't see Camilla kill Mimi and we didn't see Lucious taping the whole thing.  This show has gone downhill so fast. 

• Members

EXACTLY Toups! Like WTF?! I'm sure Marisa would have come back to play off of what was happening even though they had Mimi acting like a damn fool towards the end I still wanted some payoff and everything happened in the span of one episode like there was no buildup or anything. I pray for S3 they learn what went wrong in the sophomore slump and pull it together or no matter what magic and phenomenon they had in S1 people aren't going to be tuning in.

• Members

I saw that Ilene Chaiken responded to the "dead lesbian" controversy by saying they weren't actually lesbians so it didn't count. 

I have to admit her comment did make me laugh. I haven't seen that type of furore over this anyway so I doubt many cared.

Edited by DRW50