Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

I was just saying that both Anika & Thristy use sex to persuade somebody & in the end it didn't work out.

The only guest they needed was Cris Rock, Thirsty, Mimi & maybe Cookie new man. Cris Rock maybe should have gotten killed yesterday.

Edited by MoTheGreat

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

oic.

Ew, Chris was on par with being one of the weakest -- him and Luda. Incredibly whack, laughable and underwhelming.  I'm still wondering if/when Tyrese will pop up since he confirmed on WW that he was coming to the show, after they stopped with that circus of announcements for everyone that they managed to land.

• Members

I just came out of nowhere. It was one of them instant social issue stories I was talking about. No build up and it was just dropped out of the sky into our lap. I was like, "what in the tragic mulatto hell?!" And with a side character I don't care about!! Had this been Anika's story then I would've been interested.

• Members

Who do ya'll think pushed Rhonda?

IC or DS said that Annika would be the obvious choice because of how they've been portraying her... now me, watching it before reading that tidbit... I'd think it was Annika. But now with that niggling doubt in the back of my mind,  I don't know who else it could be. Annika is the obvious choice, but at the same time who would have a bone to pick to push her down the steps? The Ghost of Vernon Past?

• Members

It's kind of funny to see all the shade thrown at Empire now. The truth is the show isn't really all that different this season than it was in S1. It's always been poorly paced and randomly focused it's just that last year it was new. The approach to this season reminds me of an addiction memoir I read a long time ago called, More. Now. Again. S2 of Empire is everything S1 was just more. More of Cookie's outrageous outfits, more of Lucious twirling his mustache, more "twists", more guest stars while story and character beats get dropped or just bulldozed over by the next twist.  More. Now. Again. 

The good:

Cookie's return to prison. IMO, the best moments are when we get reminded that Cookie is a person with feeling and not just a drag mannequin quip factory.

Lucious' breakdown. Even as over the top as it was with the rifle, it read as real to me. Empire means everything to Lucious and I could imagine JR Ewing or Blake Carrington having very similar breakdowns.

The Camilla twist. (Hear me out. LOL!) That was a classic soapy moment and since I was unspoiled it genuinely surprised me. The problem is it didn't feel earned because I haven't given a damn about Camilla since the moment she walked away.

Rhonda's fall. That was some cracktastic stunt and camera work. I don't think it was Anika. I suspect it's some other rando like maybe Prosecutor Push Up Bra from Lucious' trial. Why? Why not?

The bad

Hakeem. Am I supposed to believe that all these grown ass powerful women are sprung over this child?

The business stuff. Normally I like business stories in soaps because they provide stakes but everything feels so tossed together. The Empire office feels like Hogwarts's where rooms, studios, board members all just appear when needed. 

Everything around Jamal and his sexuality. I agree with the idea that now that he's out the show needs to move away from making everything about his sexuality. Frankly I'm really beginning to wonder what this show is trying to say. I'm all for fluidity but more and more it feels like plot point switch hitting. In two seasons we've had Tiana be with Hakeem and another woman with no follow up. Camila goes from Hakeem to Mimi. (I'm beginning to see a pattern here.) Lucious having a threeway with Mimi and now Jamal, the gayest gay who ever gayed decides to mix it up with Sky. 

Edited by marceline

• Members

Other than Anika going insane for no good goddamned reason, this season felt much like the first. There's been little to no progression. It's a round robin of getting control of Empire and losing control of Empire ad nauseam.

And I swear if someone referred to it as "The Empire" one more time...

ALSO Cookie's outfits this season have been HIDEOUS. MY god what have they done to that poor beautiful woman. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Actually, the actress who plays Tiana is put on contract, yet she's barely appeared in episodes, is barely above recurring storylinewise and has a similar build to Anika, yet the show is currently paying for her full time. Could they be going for her being the one who pushed Rhonda?

I mean, I have no idea why the hell she'd do it, but sadly Lee Daniels and co seems to be falling into one of the worst traps of soap operas at times; this would be the shock reveal that makes no sense.

• 4 weeks later...