Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

Maybe Chit's right and Chaiken is indeed the problem.

The show is a hot mess IMO and they're pulling a lot of stuff out of their behind.

I have no doubts Carol and Lucious probably screwed. I'm sure like many villains over the years that Lucious will have many bastards that the writers pull out of their behind and that's fine.

Carl stated why the Jamal kiss thing bugs me. I think it's another thing they pulled out of their asses and I'm not sure why it's so hard to write a gay man as just another person on a tv show. Why does it have to be the "gay man" and the "gay storyline". It's a man in a storyline who likes men. It's tough because if you don't want to be labeled everyone side eyes you but I think our culture of labeling everyone is more problematic than anything. I think the kiss was more Jamal trying to be powerful. Everytime they try to make Jamal "strong" I sort of laugh. Jussie just does better playing a sweeter, nicer character.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

thats one thing thats bothered me. They focus too much on Jamal being gay instead of just letting him be him. Gay this, gay that....in 2015, why does it need to be such an issue? After he came out to the public, that really should have been the end of it but I feel they've put too much emphasis on his sexuality when it should be a nonissue now

• Members

Exactly. You can't spend all of season establishing a character coming out the closet and being super pro-gay but then debunk all that character progression so that he can hook up with a woman at the first chance. It's bulls--t! I feel like Jamal has been one of the few characters that has floundered so much this season. He is the total opposite of who he was season one. It's like the writers are conflicted in what to do with him. It's annoying. Sucks b/c he used to be my favorite brother but now I find Hakeem to be the most interesting brother and I wanna turn the channel when Jamal is on. 

I'm glad they are throwing Rhonda a bone as of late but they seriously could do more with her character too. Why isn't she scheming more? Why isn't she using this baby to get in closer with Lucious and pull at his heartstrings? Is there even actually a damn baby? And it's time to dig into Rhonda's background. 

• Administrator

Agreed. Anika was a top executive and now she's been reduced to a teen love triangle. And was she drawing hearts around Hakeem's pictures?  WTF.  

This show needs writers who know to soap it up.  Last week's episode ended with Anika in a wig picking up Laura - making us think something is going to happen to her.  Instead we find out she just did that to see where Laura lives?  Come on. 

I'm already dreading next week's business stuff. 

The only thing I really enjoyed the last two episodes was Hakeem and Freda's rap battle. I hope they release both tracks on the soundtrack. Bre-Z and Yazz are fantastic rappers.

Edited by Toups

• Members

not surprised. This show is garbage this season

Many gay individuals have relationships with the opposite sex. They do that when they are confused and/or are trying to hide their sexuality bc they are in the closet. That was the case with Jamal. He has since come out and has fully embraced the fact that he is gay and is into men. Olivia was his beard

• Members

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! YOu can be hot and still not need to be on the show.

Eh, I doubt they'd mess with his sexuality due to a minor character now marrying someone else. Now we know who Mimi was talking to when she and Luscious were about to have a threesome with that girl. I mean she did tell Lu she was coming for him when he kicked her out because she was messing with his son.

LMAO! Thirsty going down to get a vote and winds up not getting it, should have made sure he had it before he did all that.

Yeahhhhhhhh there's no coming back for Annika.