Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Incorporating Pepsi into the show was incredibly lame. I'm with those who don't think Luscious needs redeeming or a sympathetic backstory. Of course I feel bad for a little boy sleeping under a stone lion for protection, but I don't want to feel bad for him, I want to love to hate him.  We didn't need to see that he grew up hard. That was obvious without explanation.  

• Members

I really dont know why she's as big as she is bc she really doesnt have the resume to match  her (own) hype. The opnly thing people can really bring up is Independence Day from like 20 years ago but that didnt elevate her into better, more notable roles. She is like LisaRaye to me, playing the same character all the time, aka herself

• Members

Granted, it's been a very long time for Independence Day for me but Vivica is a blur to me so ... I'd even ehhh on that one, LOL

I did see a gif of her character on Empire with that hair and attitude and I was like ... yeah, looks like she's very much chewing the scenery.

• Members

WTF with Empire? They trying to say Jamal is bi now?

Rolling my eyes at Lee making a cameo on this show

Cookie with that Rosie O'Donnell character....ex cons arent supposed to asscoiate with each other or they risk losing their probation

Dang, Anika is going downhill fast

• Members

I am not happy about Jamal being 'straight' now too. Can we have ONE f-cking gay character on a show, a gold star gay, that is confident in his sexuality and doesn't flounder about? If it was established from the start that Jamal was bisexual then fine. No complaints. But he expressed numerous times in season one how he was repulsed when Lucious used to push women on him. So now he likes a woman? :rolleyes:

Clearly, Lee and Danny are binge watching Dynasty again and they wanna pair Stephen Jamal with a woman in the near future. Just stop. It's 2015. Write a damn story for gay characters that don't consist of them questioning their sexuality. It's old. Tired. Retire the trope. I'm ashamed that Lee Daniels, a GAY man, would even green light this crap.

• Members

Chit's favorite, Ilene Chaiken, says he's still gay, and this is just about fluidity. 

(more spoilers, I guess, to be found in the article)

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/empire-alicia-keys-jamal-skye-kiss-rosie-o-donnell-season-2-episode-9-recap-1201648360/

I do think it's possible for gay men to be attracted to women, and act on that attraction. The problem is there are so few gay roles of value on TV that the standards for those roles needs to be really high. That means a story where they suddenly fall for a woman is going to get more scrutiny, and deservedly so. It comes across as feeling if a man is just attracted to other men, they are boxed in, so we need a sudden twist, and usually one that adds little to the storyline.

(not to mention that straight men in major roles very rarely seem to be "fluid" and fall for other men)

• Members

Yes, fluidity is a real thing and that is what I was about to post. Annaliese on HTGAWM is seemingly straight yet fluid, so I think we'll see more of this sort of thing on television. At the same time, I do think the writers at Empire may have decided to bend Jamal just a little bit in order to create more story line.

Carol probably slept with Lucious while Cookie was in prison.

• Members

I dont like it. I wish Jamal would pick a lane and stick with it. Like NBA said, he was firmly established as gay to begin with. Not bi, not confused, but gay. This is a copout now and they should have shown him as having some interest in woman before. We knew of his relationship with Olivia but she was his beard before he came out. He looked very sexually into Skye last night and went for it. I thought she was going to be revealed as a lesbian before that kiss.

And yes I do think Carol slept with Lucious. He may even have fathered one of her kids