Daytime Emmy shockers. Interesting read ------>

• Members

IMO, the Nurses Ball episodes were/are something you submit for the costume or production design categories, not for Best Drama. Either Frank knew GH had little else to choose from or the guy is completely dense.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Regardless of how I might have felt about the reboots, I do think it is poetic justice that even one of them (OLTL) gets a nod for Best Drama Series over GH. Someone needed to burst Frank and Ron's egos.

• Members

Valentini and Carlivati have a history of submitting terribly see OLTL.

I remember they submitted the high school musical stuff one year, I think they may of even made the final cut but I just didn't think most voters would go for a teen centric episode. They arguably where producing some of the better daytime episodes during that time but they submitted so awful they they got overlooked every year.

Didn't someone note that Carlivat admitted to randomly picking submissions for the WGA?

• Members

The one thing it did remind me was how many non/occasional (aka casual) soap voters participate in the voting process.

Which makes an interesting point for OLTL being nominated as it was seen at first as a stark departure from the traditional soap whereas AMC hewed much closer to the traditional soap model. Still AMC should've been nominated. At least one of these shows did. And oh the irony of GH being blocked by OLTL 2.0!tongue.png

That was the one single solitary nugget I got from this otherwise unedifying article.

I couldn't manage to watch Tainted Dreams beyond the first couple of installments. I thought it was terrible!

• Members

I don't know what went down with AMC. I do know they should've submitted the episode where Cassandra chooses to abort - the one with Bianca reminiscing about Miranda, Angie talking to the hospital therapist, etc. That was probably the single best episode of soap opera I saw all last year.

I suspect OLTL submitted their sleek opening episodes, which were very well-produced and edited, but they also could've just as easily submitted some of the character stuff or Dani's greatest hits - which, even when some of those mid-season episodes were not all that exciting plot-wise, they were sophisticated in terms of character and dialogue. The later stuff was also very good.

If by some insane twist of fate OLTL were to win, I'd prefer to take it less as a victory for the show individually, though I thought it was good, and more as a victory for the entire enterprise of both of those shows. They pushed themselves, they pushed the medium and the format, they did both new and old things that had been dismissed as old hat, and they did it well.

Archived