Jem and the Holograms movie

dragonflies

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://www.slashfilm.com/jem-and-the-holograms-first-look/

The Jem and the Holograms movie came together seemingly overnight last spring, but we haven’t heard much from the candy-colored rockers since then. And we still haven’t, but at least now we’re finally getting to see them.

The first image from Jem and the Holograms has just been revealed, featuring Aubrey Peeples as Jem, Stefanie Scottas Kimber, and Hayley Kiyoko as Aja. So does it deliver all the “glamour and glitter, fashion and fame” that we’d expect from this gang? Find out for yourself after the jump.

Elle Magazine revealed the Jem and the Holograms first look in their March 2015 issue. io9 scanned and blew up the tiny image which explains why it’s all blurry. Shana (Aurora Perrineau) is missing, but we can probably assume she’s just busy on the drums.

MXdtDhw.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Well, based on the trailer for this movie, maybe the Misfits songs ARE better. unsure.png Clearly, they were too edgy for this movie. I know Molly Ringwald may have been a bit older for the time that Jem was a cartoon but shouldn't she have known better? I guess a job's a job.

So many things wrong based on what I just saw.

• Members

I think Im the only one that liked that trailer. What did people expect? Its live action. A straight adaptation of a cheesy 80s cartoon wouldnt work for this. They modernized and made it more realistic for 2015. It may suck; it may be good. We wont know till its released but that trailer didnt look bad.

• Members

Exactly. If the filmmakers feel that they can't adapt the show to a present-day live-action film without ripping its guts out, then they should come up with something else. The Transformers, G.I. Joe, and now Jem... nothing holds up to the originals and thanks to reruns and dvds, that's just fine with me. I have no interest in movie making that seeks to exploit nostalgia with the arrogance of having improved upon the original.

• Members

But Jem isn't cheesy. Of its time in terms of glitz and glamor, blended with a sci-fi element, but the show has a lot of heart and never talks down to its young audience. I felt it back then, and I feel it now in reruns, there's often a dark, mature element to the storytelling. These girls in the live-action movie actually seem too young to me, but of course, the casting is expected (especially if they want to get a franchise out of this).

They could have done a new animated adaptation with 2015 computer animation technology and kept the original concept. This movie seems watered down and generic. But to each his/her own. I won't bitch, I just won't watch.

Archived