Crazy soap people

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This reminds me of many of the embarrassing posts on my local news station's Facebook page during some of the winter storms.

I was thinking, "uh, some of us have actual LIVES with real jobs and we need to know this [!@#$%^&*]."

It was truly embarrassing to me, as a soap fan, how many of these losers were complaining about the winter coverage and actual historic events, such as the election and installation of Pope Francis.

• Members

Oh, yes. This past fall I watched several documentaries about the 50th anniversary of JFK's passing and one of them showed the clip of ATWT being interrupted by Walter Cronkite's bulletin of the tragic news. That was before my time, but I'm sure we all remember that no soaps were aired on 9/11. I can understand soaps being preempted for dire events like that, or important regional coverage.

Otherwise, just run a crawl at the bottom of the screen, saying to check the station's news site or tune in at 4, 5, 6, etc. Is that asking too much? (That's a rhetorical question, but I'm sure you all already knew that.)

• Members

I actually agree. With major events, like you said, it is time to interrupt. I even wonder why they had to preempt for OJ. I mean, the same outcome would have happened otherwise! We all knew he did it. He ran from the crime scene!! I do blame OJ for the fall of daytime more than the "Women gone to work" theory".

• Members

At least the Bronco chase happened at night (at least, it was night on the East Coast where I am), so the soaps weren't preempted that day (which was a Friday). Then again, the primetime shows were all on hiatus, so just reruns were preempted (I think the Cleveland Indians game still ran here uninterrupted, but back in 1994, the baseball games ran on an independent station that had no news).

• Members

Soaps sucking is to blame for the fall of daytime, not coverage of the O.J. trial, or anything else. If the networks knew that preempting soaps would lose them major dollars, they never would have done it. The fact of the matter is, a celebrity on trial for murder will always be more compelling, more lucrative, than a mediocre-to-awful scripted series well beyond its salad days. If such a trial put series like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones on hold, there is no doubt in my mind that the frustrated yet obsessively invested audience would still be there once the annoying hiatus were over. If anything, O.J. gave many viewers an excuse to drop a viewing habit that had become resentfully obligatory and tedious.

• Members

You bring up a very valid point. P&G wanted out of soaps, and so did network cheeses like Frons - so thus went the undermining process. In the 90s, around the time of the OJ saga, it was obvious that the medium had to find a way to grow and move with the times. Unfortunately, TIIC didn't agree, and thus we're left with the refuse.

• Members

The difference is a show like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones have fans who are used to having a hiatus. That being said depending on the show sometimes shows do lose audiences if a hiatus is too long.

I'm okay with pre-emptions when they make sense, though snow coverage drives me crazy at times. Unless the weather is causing roads to be closed and serious traffic accidents, just cut the credits of the shows you're airing and give a 2-3 minute update each hour once rush hour has passed, and run a scroll every 15 minutes (between the closings, just make the newsworthy part a different color and be done with it.)

• Members

I understand being upset about pre-emption back in the 80s or 90s, but Y&R and B&B are on the TV Guide network now, aren't they? GH is available via hulu. Is Days rebroadcast somewhere? If there's some other method for you to watch the show if it's pre-empted locally, there is absolutely no reason to lose your mind. I witnessed a GH fan go beserk via a soap facebook group recently over a local pre-emption, and I tried to explain that, hello, you can watch it on hulu tonight, calm the eff down, and I got verbally attacked by a bunch of similarly rabid people. wacko.png

It's a TV show, people. If it was pre-empted nationally, it was obviously for something big, and the network may just show the same episode the next day. If it was a local news story, you can probably find the same freaking episode online somewhere.

Archived