Corday Productions Launches Digital Soaps Platform ‘Net Soaps’

• Members

I tried watching Venice when they were showing episodes for free and I hated it. One of the problems I have with web soaps though is that they seem to care more about casting soap "names" instead of the plot. And a lot of the same actors I find horrible on soaps end up on the web soaps still sucking. And the production quality is usually bad. And then they think things like cursing and showing a lot of skinny make them edgy when the stories are the same as the ones on tv.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, I've never considered PP's soaps to be the same type of product as web soaps like Venice, Tainted Dreams, Buppies, etc. Not that I think one type is better than the other but I think of them differently. Like the difference between "regular" and self published books. Or Equity and non-Equity theatre. I don't think of them as the same animal.

Also, folks can hate on Chappelle all they want but I think she deserves credit for investing in and supporting the genre and those who work in it. I like seeing soapers look out for each other.

• Members

There's no second e. And I don't think she's investing in anything other than herself and a rabid lesbian fanbase. But that's me. I lost any consideration for her after the umpteenth drunk auction of her panties or whatever.

I agree they're different, but I will say the TOLN soaps were far, far better than most of those other shows. IDK about Buppies but I find CC's amateur output to be dreadful and Tainted Dreams seemed lousy from what I saw.

• Members

Tainted Dreams looks like [!@#$%^&*] & I was expecting better from Sonja Blaginardo

I wish them well. It seems to me they dont have much figured out

I gather since they will be telenovellas, we are looking at 13 weeks 5 days a week for each soap?

• Members

That'd be the logical thing to do. I'd even suggest a model that I've been saying on the boards for a long time if they plan on having these soaps run for decades. That is:

- Run the shows 3 days a week (Mon, Wed, & Fri). An hour each episode. If they end up on a main or cable network, negotiate the time slots for these show, so they'll air at reasonable time when most people are getting off work (5 P.M. to 8 P.M.).

- Have the shows take a hiatus (like Australian soaps do) from mid December to mid January/early February.

But out of all the web soaps, the only show that grabbed my attention was Anacostia. Yes, the camera shooting was poor, some of the actors weren't that great, but the story was good and I like all the characters. It felt like Knots Landings but with educated African American characters.

• Members

I wouldn't mind pitching to them if they were looking for pilots; however, I can't have Corday or any EP hindering my vision. I feel like that happens a lot on soaps. I just hope the production is well and these soaps are rerooted in realism. I'm fine for a supernatural soap too (a la Dark Shadows), but it needs to be well written and not campy.

• Members

Well, I hope they have a plan if they don't immediatly begin making profits from these soaps straight away. That seemed to be the whole problem with Prospect Park's venture. These things needs the time to grow to build an audience and I suspect that they'll have to take some kind of loss for at least two or three years.

• Members

What's sad about PP's product was that the viewership was there, they just didn't plan properly for any disasters to come.

I do hope that the production model is closer to the PP's soaps then what's already out there. I think it's smart to launch this while Days is still on NBC for at least another two years. Maybe Corday Productions is planning on making this venture the future home of DAYs if NBC chooses to drop it down the line. Of course, they would be smart to air episodes of DAYs on it while it still airs on NBC just so any bugs and kinks can be worked out.

Archived