Queer as Folk

marceline

• Members

It looks like a bunch of us are watching/re-watching QAF now that it's available on Netflix so it seemed a good idea to start a thread.

I binge watched seasons one and two and just started S3. I may take a break because I find that I'm not enjoying the show as much as I did the first time I watched or more accurately, I'm seeing the flaws much more clearly now. I'd be very interested to hear the opinions of someone watching for the first time.

(BTW there was briefly an old QAF thread on this board. I decided against bumping it. It seemed better to start a fresh one.)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I watched the whole thing again for the first time since it aired and enjoyed it much more. I was a teen when it started so tht may be why. I related a lot to several characters different situations. I found the show pretty realistic of the lifestyles it showed, not just for gays, but for singles for young couples etc.

It did have flaws. Some stories are random and don't work. But I think the flaws are few and the pros are many.

I relate to Brian the most, tho I'm not an ass like he is.

I found Michel emmet and ted annoying more this time than the first time tho I love Hal sparks. The hunter story I liked much better this time. The lesbians I really loved this time around and didn't last time.

I think justin gets a lot of hair but I've met so many people just like him. Nd I totally buy that Brian falls in love with him.

• Members

I watched the whole series and I hated how Ted aka "Eeyore" would end up being punished for almost the same exact behavior as Brian aka "Sex God" would be rewarded/praised for it.

The quote that I loved from the previous thread on this series:

I agree. Drew really was Emmett's perfect match, but it made sense for Emmett to not try and desperately hold onto him in a relationship.

Drew was finally able to experience the release of being out, in all of its highs and lows. He actually gave Drew the chance to just be, in comparison to Brian and Justin's way too long and desperate pairing. IMO.

• Members

I have all the seasons on DVD. It took me forever because i needed to get good prices for them but i finally did it. I thought it was a good

show. I remember first hearing about it and looking forward to it. I thught it was great and sexy. I even got to like the lesbians...some. I know the show got a little darker in the later years but i still thought it was great.

I'm someone who wanted to be Bryan (all the one night stands he had with "mostly" hot guys!) but was/is probably more like a Ted with a bit of Emmit comming out on my good days.

Love Robert Grant.

• Members

I remember that I hated Lindsay. Poor Mel stuck with someone who probably reminds her of her mother and built like her too. Nagging worthless heffa, but Mel should be pissed with herself for having a child with a woman who insists that Brian be the bio dad. Another character mesmerized by Brian and looks stupid as well.

• Members

I loved Brian (except for when he was super mean to Justin) and I identified the most with Justin and to a little extent with Brian. Brian's "I don't give a you know what" attitude is the reason I loved him tho. The first example (at least for me) of someone who wasn't super effeminate yet was gay and comfortable with being gay. Didn't make any apologies for it and knew what he wanted out of life. Plus he was successful financially (until he had that little storyline with the new business).

I def don't have to rewatch it but yall are really tempting me.

Michael and Ben were amazing tho and so ideal. Exactly what I want from a partner (except for the AIDS part of course). But you could tell the love between was so real and genuine. Just so heartwarming.

• Members

I loved Brian because his relationships with Linda Justin and mchale showed a different side of him but he was still Brian. He wasn't a totally different person with them because he is who he is but he loved and cared for them. He showed it in effed up ways more than not but to know a Brian is to love a Brian and once they let you in they will ruin the selves for you. He did a lot for Justin and Linds.

• Members

:(

Ted wasn't as fun or as exciting as the rest of em but he was still endearing in his own way. The problem was that once he hit rock bottom and lost Emmett he was effectively done. I still wish that they had found a way to reconnect the two of em....I know it's cliche but something about the two of them just clicked.

Till this day I still get teary eyed when I think of that scene where Emmett goes over to Mels and Linds house after realizing how far gone Ted was...the way he just broke down sobbing and they still comforted him despite the horrible words that he and Mel had exchanged just the other day.

The show was so incredible in many ways but ultimately I think I loved it cuz of the characters the genunine depth and feeling in their relationships....whether it was as friends or as lovers. Or even new acquaintances/rivals like Ben and Brian..

• Members

Ted was one of the most realistic characters on the show. I thought the actor was one of the show's best, and his relationship with the drug addict (Blake?) had some of the best chemistry of any couples.

I thought he and Emmett were best as friends and I wish they'd kept them that way.

I never thought Brian was all that hot. He seemed somewhat plastic to me, and the first few years felt like an endless smirk. I did care more over time.

I liked Ben a lot.