Mariah Carey Thread

• Members

Oh Mariah has definitely had a better career and more success, but I'm saying right now JLo is still relevant and charting with young audiences, while Mariah is not. On the Floor, Dance Again, Booty, Live it Up, etc. have all been very successful. In fact, On the Floor was the biggest song of her career, and it came out in 2012.

Edited by Mr. Vixen

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I disagree on that. JLo has a level of fame that goes beyond music thanks to her beauty probably mostly, but also the public's fascination with her celeb romances. She has like a Zsa Zsa or mini Elizabeth Taylor kind of fame which is why when she goes to the Oscars the media obsesses about what she wears and never forgets her dress from ten years ago or "Benniifer". I honestly can't think of too many stars who have long stalledt singing and acting careers and yet still seem to still be on the A list. She'll probably still be presenting at the Oscars ten years from now too because of her looks and fame which doesn't seem to need hit records to thrive.

• Members

Mariah could've evolved, but she hasn't by her own faults. She refuses to update her look which has now made her a joke. She can still be sexy, hell, super sexy if she wants, but she needs to update that damn look and stop wearing those tight tiny dresses. She also needed to evolve her musical style ages ago and has been trying to recreate The Emancipation of Mimi for 10 years now. I hate it because she is so talented and so flawless and has revived her career so many times. I hope she gets one more go-around because she is flawless.

In other news, I've been feeling Mariah lately so I've been wanting to do one of her songs at a drag show. Last saturday I had planned to do It's Like That, then the power went out so we didn't have a show. Tonight the weather was good, no rain or anything and I was going on stage to do It's Like That. The intro kicked in and as soon as I started lipsynching I heard a boom and the damn power went out lol. I'm scared to attempt this song a third time, but we'll see. I'm going to try it again tomorrow.

• Members

That's been Mariah's big issue since the late 90's though - she's often a guest on her own songs and albums since she relies so heavily on guest rappers and duets.

Also, her voice is shot and she just can't sing anymore. The clips from her Vegas show are laughable. A pill-popping Judy Garland in her final days had a better voice and more stage presence than Mariah does today.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I don't think her voice is gone, but she needs to sing to her new voice and leave the past in the past. Dionne Warwick for example smoked her voice out, but she saved herself by obviously training and learning how to sing in her husky, more limited tone. She managed to have hits all through the 80s. Mariah can do it if she wants to. She could sing Adele's songs in her current range.

• Members

Bunch of haters on isles 7,8,9,10...

I love Mariah, have since Fantasy with Ol Dirty Bastard. Me and the Mrs went to New York and stayed with the sister-in-law from hell during the holiday's just so we could go see her at the Beacon Theater and while her voice isn't what it used to be, she still had her wow moments and still outsang her peers and 90% of these youngins doing it today. Her last couple of albums are actually very good too, the most recent one specifically just had really poor single choices and yes, her image does need a major makeover.

I find her personality absolutely hilarious. I think people take the whole diva thing far more seriously than she intends. She has some obvious issues that stem from her childhood and then her time with the devil Tommy Mottola, and maybe she should work them out with a therapist as opposed to bottles of champagne, but the way she channels that into her songwriting is absolutely breathtaking. I just will always have a soft spot and love for her.