Mariah Carey Thread

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't think I have ever heard any one of these songs. I'll Be There I know what it is because it was a remake, but these number ones were number one where? We hear top hits, and going back however many years from "Every Breath You Take" in 1982 all the way to "uptown funk" this year and going back to the Beatles and Elvis and "I Will Survive" and so many others, when a song was a hit everybody heard it to the point you couldn't avoid it. "Livin La Vida Loca" "I Want It That Way" "Thriller"...real hits blasting from every car, in every store, on every station.

I googled "Vision of Love" and can safely say I have never heard that song before in my life.

• Members

I've never heard any one of those songs in my life. Are you saying they were as pervasive as "Material Girl" or "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" or "The Real Slim Shady" or "Bye, Bye, Bye"? Was it really as well known as even "That Don't Impress Me Much", "I'm Sexy And I Know It" or any other mega hits? I could rattle them out all day long. Were they as popular as "Gangsta's Paradise" or "You Light Up My Life?" I just don't see how in the pantheon of number ones this is up there in popularity with "Blurred Lines" or even "Somebody That I Used To Know" which I don't even think went top 10 but managed to get out there anyway.

• Members

They aren't obscure, but a lot of them haven't stood the test of time and don't incur much recurrent airplay. Not to mention, Tommy Mottola bought a great deal of her "hits" at one point...

Who honestly remembers I Don't Wanna Cry, Thank God I Found You, Don't Forget About Us, and Touch My Body these days?

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I remember Touch My Body right away but had to think about the others. You're right, Mariah definitely had a stellar career but she's not a star whose hits have really stayed all that relevant. Many of her number ones are hardly played, even on oldies stations. That's just how it is for some artists. And I'm sure she knows that, which is why she's trying (and failing) so hard to be relevant again.

• Members

18 #1s on the Billboard Hot 100, the most of any female solo artist. Rounding out the top 5 female solo artist rankings are Rihanna (13), Madonna (12), Whitney Houston (11), and Janet Jackson (10).

Among all artists, The Beatles are 1st overall with 20 #1s on the Billboard Hot 100, and Elvis Presley and Mariah Carey are tied for 2nd with 18 #1s each. Rounding out the top 5 overall are Michael Jackson and Rihanna with 13 #1s each.

Edited by KateW

• Members

If nothing else, "All I Want For Christmas Is You" will stand as one of the modern Christmas classics. Was it a number one hit? No, but even 20 years later, people still remember it, because new Christmas songs don't become instant classics very often. This is one that did, and I'll admit that I love it. :)