January 27-31, 2014: In Total Viewers, Y&R Hits 6 Year High; B&B Hits 7 Year High

Toups

• Members

I disagree. I believe one of the reasons we are seeing the uptick has to do with fewer options for people who enjoys soaps. Instead of the audience being spread across six or eight soaps, four choices results in consolidation. Additionally, CBS/ABC brought in new audiences with shows like TT and TC, which benefited their line-ups.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think a lot of people who watched other soaps but not the current ones may have just left the genre.

I do agree that The Talk and The Chew might have helped, although I don't know about The Talk, since it airs after the others on CBS.

I'm just pissed ATWT and GL are gone...

• Members

I believe both shows brought new audiences to the respective networks. And, like everyone else, I'm disappointed the other shows didn't survive. Heck, I started the ATWT thread in the "Cancelled Shows" section. On the other hand, if the loss of those shows ended up strengthen the remaining one so that the genre still exists, then it wasn't for nothing. It wasn't that long ago that DAYS and GH were "certain" to be cancelled.

• Members

Wow 6MM+ for the Wednesday episode of Y&R! That is crazy. I'm surprised the Thursday episode wasn't the highest rated since it was the climax of the story.

When was the last time we saw a soap register +1MM viewers year-to-year. That is even more remarkable.

• Members

I think shows like the talk and the chew have helped. Having less soaps has also helped.

A more diverse schedule brings in more potential viewers. Having less options raises the odds of ppl watching.

But above all else bad weather and actual good stories have helped right now.

Archived