DAYS: Huge Star Quits

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Sounds like it. She mentioned wanting more time with her kids. Doing days the way they do it and TBL doesn't leave a ton of time, and between the two shows she chose the right one. Financially, she also is about to release her 4th book. And I'm sure her savings are nice.

Though, more than anything I think it's the fact that she's been at the same job for 22 years. A job she started at 16. Half her teens, all of her 20s, and most of her 30s. That's insane, really. With nothing more than a few weeks off in a row. Even her maternity leaves were not long and her second she pre-taped so much.

Maybe she's just ready for a major change and her hair color didn't cut it.

• Members

I know some fans hated the turn in direction they gave Sami but I liked it. I didn't want her stay a scheming pathetic loser for years like Kate. Ej's torture of her, losing grace, experiencing a true love with Rafe all was enough to accept her as a heroine type but I felt they kept the essence of Sami. She still schemed. Still lied. Still ruined all her own happiness. Her motivation just changed from selfish to protective of family.

22 consecutive years is a long time. Not many soap stars have stayed in their soap after blowing up outside of soaps.

It is a huge loss, her absence will leave a gigantic hole. I'm not sure the show knows how to or will be able to full the void. As sad as I am, I'm also excited. Excited to see what days does without her. Excited to see what she does next, if anything as she has TBL and her books.

• Members

Wow, I never thought she'd leave. Guess that means no Sami and EJ wedding sad.png I wonder who they will bring on to replace her bc she will leave quite a void

Jennifer is pushing 50. She's already a lead actress, but definetly not young

sarcasm, huh?

so there we have it. Teresa is set to be the new Sami!

• Members

Hey, jp, did you know or suspect that this would happen? I know you tend to be on top of these Days happenings. And will her absence stop you from watching Days?

Of course, it is going to be a big hole in the show, but I hope Ken Corday keeps it together and steps away from the self-destruct button. Personally, if they decided to bring Marlena more to the fore as a result, I wouldn't be against it. AZ as Nicole is one of Days' MVPs but I'm not sure she is a lead as much as she is a supporting/character actress. I guess if KS came back as Belle (even though I find Belle dull as dishwater), it might not be such a bad thing. JKJ as Philip. Jason Cook as Shawn I can live without. But they have some good people on canvas already, too, and some of the cast are underutilized.

Of course, if Eileen Davidson came back, that would be amazing. Not that she would bring in a bunch of new viewers (she didn't during this last run), but she would probably keep current viewers glued to the show if the writing was up to par.

As long as the writing stays tight and Days continues its focus on multigenerational stories, then hopefully this will be a storm Days weathers. After all, remember when they fired all the supercouples a few years back? Everybody was convinced Days would just curl up and die on the spot.

• Members

I didn't know, no. I sort of questioned it after I interviewd her at day of days but not really at the same time. But I'm not shocked in part due to some insider gossip/whispering last week about this and in part because it's been 21 consecutive years and she has a lot going on

It's nice to see so,done leaving a soap on seemingly good terms. I'm assuming she told the, she wouldn't be signing a new contract and they knew that news couldn't stay silent. The announcement was made by Sweeney on Ellen and I assume was planned by the network/studio. I'm hoping for no recast nor a happy ending. I want slash need Sami to die. I am not saying Sweeney is irreplaceable as every role can be recast, but like Susan as Erica and Vanessa as Brenda, just because it can doesn't mean it should be.

I am curious as to what's next. Is she just going to focus on TBL, her book writing career and trying out some lifetime/hallmark movies? Is she going to shift into directing? A workout line? Something else?

As for the show without Sami, I have no idea. Basically my entire life she's been there. She's why I got hooked. Why I watch when it's bad. And her absence is a huge one. This isn't like when leading ladies like Carrie, Hope, Marlena have left. The show had other leading women to take over. Namely Sami for most of them. That's not the case here. AZ is a great actres but Nicole isn't a central character, nor should she be the leading lady. The second sure. But not THE lead. The show has nobody for that. Theresa? Lol. Abby? Nope. Days hasn't been able to retain anyone under 30 and this is where that catches up with them. The only character I can even think to take Samis place is Belle. A recast would be needed though. And that would need to happen now.

Of course it could always shift and become more ensemble, but Sami isn't the one who's eaten the show and hogged the most screen time. That would be EJ and EJ is dependent on Sami to keep him viable. Even last week when Sami was off screen all week the focus was on two of her stories - nicks murder and her relationship with ej. There's nobody on canvas who realistically could drive that type of story. At least not now. And while yes she's there til December, they are filming may now. They have 7 months to set someone up to take over and craft a great exit.

And I hope they do craft an exit. I don't want a recast, esp not a instant one. Nor do I see it happening. 22 years, the biggest star they have. A send off is deserved.

On the upside maybe days can have more sets now? Sweeney leaving must free up a huge amount of budget.

And as for when the Supercouple purge happened, I knew it'd be fine because it had Sami as the star. Not set to take over, she had. Sami has carried every single lead story since like hopes baby swap I think. Honestly has there been a long term, leading story that Sami wasn't a focal point in since then? She wasn't even off for Ali's maternity leave.

• Members

This is a surprise. Ali has done her time. I think that she must be excited to do other things and take her career in a new direction. I have no clue what happens to Days, but even though I have not watched it for a long time, it will strange without Sami.

See this is what it looks like when someone quits. They tell TPTB they are not renewing their contract, the end.

• Members

I'm surprised by this, but I'm glad that Sweeney's doing this because she wants a change in her professional and personal life. Being on one show since you were a teen?! WOW.

I know this decision had to have been very hard to make. This show and this role has been apart of her life for so long.

I hope that Sami's exit fits the life that she's experienced.

• Members

Everything about your post makes me sad, jp -- especially the part about not being sure whether you would continue to watch. I guess I remember a Days before Sami and after Sami, so I can imagine a Days without her, but at the same recognize that she is integral, central to this show. It is kind of like Susan Lucci on AMC. She is/was the brand, and even when she chose not to go on with the web version, the questions were always there about whether she would go back.

It is bittersweet also because it is such a huge blow but at the same time, it is likely being done on the best possible spirit and the most professional way. Like, I doubt Days is going to pull a Chandler Massey and cut AS loose before her contract is up. They will want to give her a send-off (but hopefully one where she can return down the line. You never know, once her kids grow up some, she may get the urge to go back).

I just hope they don't cast their eyes on Betty Boop/Theresa and decide "Bad girl? Perfect. Theresa's the next Sami, y'all!" And while Days is going to suffer from this, they do have a lot of great and well-liked characters on canvas. I hope they don't forget them. Sweeney is the star, sure, but Days is pretty ensemble compared with the three other soaps.

Archived