When was the last time we heard "The role of ...is being played by..." in a soap?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow! Wonder if they said hello to each other when they met again for B&B's Christmas episode.

I think another interesting question would be: when was the first time you heard the V.O.

Or-- when was the first time they did the V.O. on soaps?

• Members

I remember on Passions when Justin Hartley left his role of Fox Crane.

There was a long shot of Tabitha's living room. The doorbell sounds and as she walks across the set the announcer in a low voice makes the announcement: the role of............... Tabitha starts to look up to the ceiling with a puzzled look on her face. She hesitates a minute at the door and the announcer finishes with "OPEN THE DOOR!".

She opens the door and there is the new Fox and everything goes on as usual.

• Members

I don't remember if Y&R made a special accouncemnt (someone else can confirm I'm sure) from the usual, but when Brenda Dickson returned as Jill in 1983, her descend down the Abbott stairs was well choriographed.

• Members

I wish we had the vid!

I think the first time I heard the VO was probably when Lane Davies temp-ed for Ronn Moss on B&B.

Did they do the VO on SB? I remember Kelly being shoven into a car trunk one day and getting out of it the day after looking like Carrington Garland. It was a huge shock since I loved Robin Penn.

• Members

Yes SB used it, and often in 1984 SB premiered on July 30, 1984 and by mid October 1984 a fourth actor was playing C.C. Capwell. So "the role of C.C. Capwell is now being played by......." was heard three times in 1984 for three different actors!

The Terry Lester - Gordon Thomson, Mason Capwell recast happened mid-episode, thats something that doesn't happen often! lol

• Members

The last one I remember was over the summer when Melissa Ordway took over as Abby Newman. They did it twice actually because there were a few days between her first and second appearances. I suspect David Tom will be the next annoucement in 2 weeks time.

Archived