Unpopular Opinions of 2014

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I cannot believe what I'm reading. Wow. Sabrina's hated because she's Latino? Devon is boring because he's black? Are you kidding me?!

Everytime I go into the Y&R thread someone, almost everyone, is praising MM as Hilary and she's not white. Victoria, Avery, Nick, Noah and Adam are called boring daily. Guess what? Their white. And their boring.

• Members

Pretty much because that's how those stans roll. If you're a gorgeous/handsome POC actor/actress that is playing a personable character, they can't hurl physical slurs their way without being called out on their malarkey (which they'll be the first to cry victim about) so they revert to the seemingly non-threatening 'bland' or 'boring'

• Members

I've yet to see a happy couple not be referred to as 'boring' - yes, even the legendary ones. If one isn't cheating on the other or the other disrespecting their mate, they are referred to as 'boring', thus supporting the theory that the only couples that many find refreshing are dysfunctional. While I'm not one to shun dysfunctional couples as a whole, I can appreciate happy and healthy couples just the same in the way that many others refuse to because 'it makes their soap boring'.

• Members

Wait so are we ignoring that on a daily basis plenty of white characters are called boring? I'm black and I still find Devon boring, I don't give a [!@#$%^&*] about his race. I've never taken to the character. Noah is white and boring as !@#$%^&*] as well. There, just disproved your point.

• Members
I agree with this. Lulu/Dante, Tyler/Abby, Carter/Maya, and Cane/Lily are examples of happy but "boring" couples. I remember when AJ and Liz were paired together, some people perfered AJ to be with Carly because of their dysfunctional history.

I also noticed on Y&R Hliary, Mason, and Tyler are now being called boring since they shifted the former two from being schemers and the latter from being in a triangle with Cane/Lily and paired him with Abby.

• Members

But do you write treatises on a daily basis bemoaning how boring Devon is but never do the same for Noah, Kyle, Summer, etc? I repeat, my point was that many viewers have a lower tolerance for POC characters. They harp on and on and on about it while mentioning in passing or not at all the other boring folks that are just as bland. Places like soaps.com have many threads that pop up about who they think the most boring or useless characters are...EVERY black character on the show somehow lands in almost every post in the thread but others seem to escape such labeling.

My point was not even about Devon. I just used him and Noah as an example because they are almost the exact same character used in the exact same way. That was obviously a mistake as I see folks couldn't resist the urge to do exactly what I said they would do.

• Members

Do you only watch Y&R bc again go take a look at the other soap threads and you'll see the white characters get their fair share of being called boring among other negative comments on a regular basis. Ive listed several examples above. Being white doesn't make them immune

• Members

And yet, viewers seem to be able to think of other words to describe them besides boring...I personally don't see the term used for Victoria at all...she's called lifeless, wet blanket, spoiled, daddy's girl, unkempt, any Nickname pertaining to wild hair that folks can come up with..just all kinds of things. But boring...nope. The same for Nick and Avery. Boring seems to have become some sort of code speak only reserved for non whites. It's just weird.

Archived