Gotham: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

As one of the world's biggest Batman fans I liked that part of it. As a TV watcher I found it weighted down by typical network TV cliches. So many tropes and cliches, so little time. Good cop/Bad Cop, everyone is on the take, those other rival cops, the bad cop is a slob...how many times have we seen these things before? The lack of these corny bits is what elevates HBO shows.

As for the Batman part of the show, this was better. I love the guy who plays Penguin, he really is perfect for the role but it looks like he would have made a perfect Riddler too. He stole the show. Fish Mooney was good too. The guy who plays the future Riddler was good. Alfred....all wrong. Alfred is not a rough and tumble lower class englishman who goes around saying "arse" and "mate". It's just all wrong. The movie Alfred (Michael Gough) was perfect, as was Alan Napier in the TV series. This guy I think the TV show took a wrong turn with. Ben McK as Gordon, well, he is a little dull. I didn't watch the OC but it seems this guy has only one facial expression. It's ok I guess in a stoic kind of way, but I think the combination of a very limited role with not the greatest actor may prove dull. Comm. Gordon is not the most fascinating character, lets be honest, All that said, the show is enjoyable. Maybe it shouldn't have taken itself so seriously. ARROW started out serious but hit its stride once it started including outlandish comic booky characters.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So now two episodes in and I have to say I just cannot deal with the partner and his carbon copy street cop, mayor and police chief. These are tired cliches with every cop a cynic no better than the criminals. It's annoying that every cop we see not Gordon is the same one dimensional crooked clone of all the others. Of course the two cops from the other police dept are not that way, so consequently they are not slobs who drink coffee on parole and they have decent clothes.

Getting away from them, the story was ok, crime of the week stuff. I am sure that whoever it is those two were working for will show up down the road. Selina is fine but 13? That's a stretch, more like 16. Bruce and Alfred...Alfred is still all wrong but I guess it won't be changing so that's that. Bruce is sort of a blank slate here. Kid's ok I guess playing him. Once again the best one is whoever that is that plays Oswald The Penguin. He is the entire show. Gordon guy is ok but doesn't have much of a range. It would be interesting to see if he can laugh. Riddler they need to flesh out some.

Oh yes, Jada Pikett Smith: I don't know I have ever seen her in anything before and just knew her as someone famous for being famous, but she is pretty good. She has a good role and brings a relish to it. It's just a shame she isn't a costumed baddie because she would have done well as someone like Catwoman.

• Members

That was dumb. Both I think want the same demographic: young men. This would have been a better show to put opposite all those "women only please" shows like The Good Wife, Greys Anatomy, Real Housewhives of anywhere, and so on. Maybe even on sunday just before Walking Dead since the genre crowd is watching TV that night anyway.

• Members

And there is just way too much on Mondays. I cant even see everything I want to see even with my DVR....A Wednesday would have been good for the show....at this point I havent seen the show even though I want to...no room to see it live or by DVR on Mondays....and thats that Dallas is done for the season on Mondays...lol

• Members

Mondays are truly stacked. Which makes it even more awesome that the show is FOXs highest rated non cartoon show.

They could put it on Tuesdays tho in place of that gigantic fail Utopia. Tho even then its going against NCIS and the voice so idk.

• Members

I'm really enjoying this show, and I'm kind of shocked. It's pretty far out of my "zone". Not a Batman or comic book fan at all, so I usually don't go for this kind of stuff. In some minute ways, it reminds me of the campy series from the 60's. I mean the whole weather balloon murders were pretty funny. And the characters are very cartoonish, but I guess that's true to the comics and the movies. Anyway, I'm enjoying for now. I may tire of it sooner than later.

• Members

I'm starting to wonder if the major networks even need 22+ episode season orders anymore. I mean it just doesn't seem justifiable and they would be better off taking notes from cable and doing mini-seasons of about 10-15 episodes and airing them seasonally. It just seems like such an unneeded order and it must be creatively exhausting for the behind the scenes creative developments, and winding even for the audience. All the plot twists, turns and all don't seem worth it when the audience knows that there will be another 5-10 episodes to fill out the season. I think that's what currently crippling all these narrative shows.

• Members

22 espisode seasons seem to drain the show out quicker and people seem to get bored faster. Cable and online providers like Netflixs are smart for making them only bw 12 to 15 shows. It gives writers more time to be creative and making people wanting more.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived