NBC is reviving Murder She Wrote

YRBB

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just like the new Remington Steele (which will be a comedy), I think they'll dumb it down too much. There is a difference between a mystery and a procedural and I'm not sure they'll understand what makes a show like this special. Also, I wonder why they're picking this older-skewing show up when they canceled Kathy Bates' well-rated (but old-skewing show) and the new Ironside was also very old skewing.

• Members

This is hilarious. NBC, youth-oriented, hipster Network who practically laughed in the face of CBS' ENTIRE "old skewing" viewership when Murder She Wrote was on the air---is now poaching the concept?

WHY? It's not like "author solves mysteries" is a contained concept. Castle seems to be doing just fine.

I give it three episodes.

Next "old show" to be revived---The Beverly Hillbillies. Make it happen, NBC...you know you want to.

• Members

I don't either. On the other hand, deadline.com hears they are attempting to get Ms. Lansbury involved in the project. If I were them, I'd 1) avoid turning the character "Jessica Fletcher" into a Black woman, 2) acknowledge Jessica's existence by having Octavia Spencer's character profess to be a fan of hers, and 3) maybe have Lansbury pop up from time to time as Jessica and a "mentor" to Octavia.

• Members

The sad thing is, Murder She Wrote (along with The Golden Girls) came along during a time when television was acknowledging there was a market for older audiences and they they mattered too. Too bad that all went away by the mid 90's, and yes, pioneered majorly by the idiots at NBC.

With the exception of its last season, MSW spent its entire run within the top 10, and remains HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL in international syndication. As I mentioned in another thread, I think I've seen the show in every country I've visited over the past decade.

• Members

The sad thing is that will probably happen soon. We have had remakes of Charlie's Angels (on ABC), Knight Rider, The Munsters, Ironside, now this show.

I feel like we're very close to a remake of Pink Lady and Jeff.

Probably hosted by Gwen Stefani.

Archived