HBO's Looking

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I never understood why Richie was supposed to want him. I guess it was supposed to be some innate connection, but the actors didn't have the chemistry to make it work. Patrick was a selfish !@#$%^&*] who spent all his time talking about himself, and who fetishized Richie's ethnicity and culture. Richie would be better off elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think the issue with that comes from Andrew Haigh, I remember when she said something to the effect of the second season premiere that Patrick was missing Richie and when he saw a Richie look alike it was supposed to symbolize, Patrick missing Richie which is why he called Kevin, and had sex with him in the woods. This interpretation of events, literally made no sense to the viewing audience, and most people read the scene as Patrick having the chance to hook up with the Richie look alike, but declining that invitation to call Kevin and screw him in the woods. Overall the writing just didn't make any sense, and they never really grounded the Richie and Patrick relationship enough to make their relationship viable. Patrick was ashamed of Richie more then he really wanted to be with him, which is why Kevin and Patrick more or less "worked" because they were on more equally footing with what Patrick wanted for himself in a partner.

• Members

I pretty much stopped watching once Kevin left. I couldn't deal with the fantasy of Richie and Patrick ending up together happily ever after when their relationship was such a literal train wreck, and they barely interacted with each other in over a year's time.

• Members

I thought it was perfect. Patrick coming back for the wedding was a great set up for the movie.

His hook up with the 22 y.o. spoke volumes about Patrick being at a more comfortable, free and not self-loathing place any more. He fixed himself, so now he could make a relationship work.

As soon as Kevin started telling Patrick he f ucked them up, should see a therapist, etc, I knew it was over. I thought they wrote that and wrapped it up wonderfully.

Glad to see Dom getting his success and finally letting go a little and having fun with that handsome Jack.

Doris telling Patrick and Dom that she and Malik are thinking of having a baby made me cry. Doris was so, so good.

Agustin wasn't horribly annoying! They totally fixed him for this movie and his confiding his fears to Patrick about the future was another highlight.

And I'm glad they addressed Dom/Patrick, especially the "good on paper" angle. Yas. And they still gave us a kiss, just for posterity lmao.

I see the arc of Patrick's growing up, change and becoming a better person, and think his ending up with Richie (even if it doesn't work down the line) made absolute sense and was very touching. At the end of the day, they were hopelessly in love with each other, even if didn't realistically make sense. I love the idea of at least giving it a try. I cried during that beautifully shot scene where Richie comes back to the club. Richie's nod later at the diner was fantastic as well, and what a great ending shot for the movie. 

That being said, 2/3 into the movie I realized that, had things ended with Patrick being alone, I would also have been happy with that. He didn't get a happy ending, after all (that was, surprisingly, reserved for Agustin, of all people!), just a possibility for a happy future. That could make happy both those who wanted them together and those who didn't, because they can just assume things went horribly bad one month later LOL

Overall, very, very, very happy and what a great relief they got a proper wrap-up!

• 3 weeks later...