Steve Burton (YR) vs. Roger Howarth (GH)

• Members

I was having a discussion with someone on Twitter about these 2 and hoping to get the opinion of someone who watches both shows and can be objective (even if you don't watch both, feel free to weigh in).

This guy was arguing that JFP is doing everything in her power to make SB work on YR and even going so far as to give him a mother who's been on the show for 30 years (won't say the name because I'm not sure where the story is). He claims SBu has chemistry with no one, and I countered with, many on my TL want Dylan with Chelsea and the child.

But, this guy sings the praises of FrankenRon morning, noon and night and I asked him how was doing everything in their power to make Roger/FrankenTodd work any different? Of course, I love his scenes with LW, but in all honesty, this character has not worked the 2nd time around. He came on and was supposed to be so hilarious with a do that was absolutely heinous and the audience shoved back really hard. They have DVDs showing that FrankenTodd didn't do any of the things he did, but that didn't work so he has a tumor to explain why he did all of the horrible things he did (yes, it's as jacked up as is sounds). Outside of his pairing with LW (I'd still take CarnAj), GH is not hurting for Roger Howarth no matter what they call him, and the audience doesn't seem to really care.

So I have to ask, what is the difference in what JFP is doing with Dylan and FrankenTodd/Craptini?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is no difference. Same thing. The EP on both shows are willing to do anything to make the character work. The writing for SBu's Dylan has been so sympathetic to the point that he looks like a total fool...and then no one has sympathy for him.

• Members

IA. I think TPTB at Y&R and GH are convinced that Burton and Howarth have their respective fanbases, so they are doing every thing they can in order to make them fit onto their respective shows and in turn hold onto those fans. It's sad, really, especially in this day and age, when it seems ANY viewer, even one that's fair-weather in comparison to longtime viewers, beats no viewers at all.

• Members

I just don't think it's completely about the fans. These are their pets shoehorned into their shows, and the fans are going to be made to love them - at the very least, learn to live with them in every story interacting with all the characters. Roger is now playing a Quartermaine when that family has not meant anything to GH in what 10-12 years? He's the most important Q on canvas now.

• Members

I've been watching both men for a combined 43 years and I feel as though when one of them plateaus (Howarth), he is able to pick himself up and get over it and hit newer peaks.

While the other one (Burton) is simply there for the paycheck. He was absolutely fantastic circa 1998 but ever since he won that Emmy 14 years ago, it seems that he's just been phoning it in. A lot like Britney Spears. She's just there churning out records for a fan base that doesn't realize how untalented or disposable her type of music is. Same goes for Burton and his fan base. Always a shame when soap fans have to suffer through this when there are people like Jess Walton still acting her butt off just as fiercely as she did when she joined Young and the Restless 26 years ago.

• Members

Howarth came back from CBS ready to work. Regardless of his material on either show I think he's always been very present and committed to the work on OLTL and GH since his return, and as a result I think he's always at least diverting to watch, moreso than he'd been in years. I think the Franco folly is on par with Dylan McAvoy now, and is more the work of the execs and writers than Howarth.

Steve Burton has been phoning it in since at least 2003 and is a dreadful actor today, with no accounting for performance, his physical shape or anything but his financial bottom line. He is a black hole for any show. His character on Y&R is also beyond boring (as is Melissa Egan's). One thing FV and RC were absolutely right about was playing hardball with him. The way you break the Guza era forever on GH is taking out Steve Burton.

• Members

Vee, my point is not about who gives the most (I want to believe the work Roger gave on the bridge in July was not one of his good days). I'm talking about the lengths the EPs are going to bring them in, make them fit and keep them regardless of whether they fit or not. Roger has never been more of a sore thumb than right now. Outside of his scenes with LW, I'm finding it difficult to believe anyone sees a need for him.

• Members

I think Steve has been very engaging as Dylan on Y&R and I really like him. Think it was a good fit for him, and a smart new direction to take him in. I'm not going to get into a discussion about his talent or lack thereof. I never paid that much attention to him on GH unless he was in scenes with Ca rly, and JaSam and Liason were both terrible pairings IMHO.

I've never seen what the big deal about Roger is either. He's just not all that AFAIC. Don't find him attractive or a particularly outstanding actor. He's adequate at best.

Both have been equally forced and for the same nonsensical reasons. But the character of Franco was a terrible choice, and making Tanko a Q just aggravates the hell out of me. So I think Franco is far worse than Dylan the typical soapy hero. Both JFP and FV were equally determined to carve out a crater for their little pets and make them the stars of the show and the center of their respective universes. I think JFP has taken a much softer approach with Dylan. At least Dylan has tested with other women. He came on as a long lost love for Nick's girlfriend. They played that story out and tested him with Sharon a bit set up conflict with both Nick and Adam. And there's more mystery to tell about his past.

• Members

The idea is that people will love them no matter what characters they play. JFP is trying to make a very generic leading man, and "Cartini" are trying to find someone who will glorify all of their kinks (rape, mental illness, misogyny). And the assumption is just doesn't make a difference what is said or done onscreen.

Generally this assumption is probably right. I know some fans would fawn over Howarth even if he farted for an entire hour. The material has never mattered. Neither has his going full ham and never going back.

• Members

I haven't been able to find anyone who cares about Dylan on Y&R til just now. It's just been a disaster, albeit not quite as flashy as Franco. And I knew it would be, but I was so glad it kept him off GH.

• Members

I don't think it's unusual to not be really invested in a new character right off the bat. I've only recently become rather fond of Morgan. Could take him or leave him before that. (Mostly leave because I can't stand Kiki and Michael anymore). I still cannot stand Avery on Y&R and it's totally cray but I've kind of enjoyed Sharon a bit -- and she's the reason I quit watching the show years ago.

But I don't find it all that telling that you don't know anyone who cared about Dylan until just now. It's not like they brought him on as three different characters and forced him right back into his previous pairing as if nothing had changed.

Archived