Springhill, UK '90s supernatural soap on Region 1 DVD from Russell T Davies, etc

EricMontreal22

• Members

Has anyone watched this? I've always been curious about it simply because it was one of Russell T Davies's major projects before Queer as Folk, Dr Who, etc and noticed that a few months back season one was released in N America--randomly. (It ran 2 seasons, 26 episodes each.) Paul Abbott created the show (before he became something of a name with shows like Shameless, State of Play, Clocking Off, and Touching Evil) but for season one Davies did the headwriting.

I could only find one minute of clips on youtube.but from that and descriptions it seems it was very much done in the style of a daily UK soap opera with pretty cheap production values and it played each of its runs over several nights a week. The DVD is pretty expensive, so would like to hear any thoughts. I found one review which praises it for both being completely absurd and still playing it straight (A mix of Eastenders, Soap and Dark Shadows.) http://insidepulse.com/2013/07/20/dvd-review-springhill-series-one/

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I posted about this in the Revelations thread, but it didn't get any response.

I bought the DVDs. I had problems the first disc on my DVD player. When I returned it, I had the same problem. I called Acorn and told them, but they weren't very helpful. They said I could return the set a second time, but they couldn't guarantee that the disc would work. The disc would loop the previews and never get to the start menu. When I tried it on an older DVD player, I was able to get it to work. It was very frustrating.

Anyway, the show is really good. I'll post more later. Amazon has it for a decent price ($27.99). Despite the technical issues, it's worth watching. I would look for clips or anything. The story is very interesting and more shocking if you know less about it. There's a really neat preview available online, but it spoils some major plot points.

If you can get it at a reasonable price, I think it's worth it. I posted on a primetime soap boards ages ago where the fans adored it. After waiting twelve years, I finally was able to see it and it didn't disappoint. I would really suggest going in blind though as you would appreciate it so much more.

• Members

Too late--I found another review, and had already ordered it a few hours before reading this so *phew* glad you liked it. smile.png I don't know the show Revelations and so didn't even think to read there--but I shoulda done a search (I was ordering the re-issue of Talesof the City which has been out of print and so expensive used, for ages and combining them gave me free shipping anyway...)

I hope the disc will play fine. I'll keep away from spoilers. I guess it's not too likely the final season will come out--though people seem to think less of it (mind you this was a Russell T Davies thread where that was said, and he only did story consultation that year.) The only clips I could find was exactly one 7 min compilation put together by some woman who was at the high school they filmed some scenes with--something with a student threatening her teacher with molestation rumours.) I had a feeling if anyone had, you would have heard of this show.

• Members

I'm not really sure what Acorn's record with releases is. Funny, I saw the release of "Tales of the City," but was hesitant to buy because it was Acorn and the price seemed a bit much for six installments. I thought it would have included some of the later miniseries.

I was astonished by the overwhelming positive reviews, but I think the American audience is more accepting of soap opera if it comes with an English accent.

Anyway, I think season two is considered more bizarre especially due to the final episode, which one of the writers claimed was tacked on at the end to give it a conclusion without really discussing it with the staff. Other than the ending, I don't think I've read many complaints about the second season. It also should be noted that season one was rerun several times over the years, while season two was not. I think it had to do with switching networks or production companies or both. Season two is noted for having a rather honest portrayal of a young, gay romance.

The first season is pretty grounded and would play well without the supernatural elements even though they are weaved in brilliantly into the religious context of the show. The use of the Internet is humorous, particularly a scene where the middle son tries to explain to his mother about how it operates. In the end, the conflict is incredibly human, which keeps the show operating on a level that keeps you engaged.

Katharine Rogers and Gilly Colman are great as the leads. Rogers has the juicy role, Eva, but Colman gives her a run for her money as Liz. Some of the younger actors are bit annoying at times, but it typically is written as part of the character.

• Members

Acorn tends to be overpriced, but can be usually found cheap. And their quality varies--though that's more from their hubris (ie their last release of Brideshead Revisited was touted as a special anniversary edition with remastering, etc, but it still looks as poor quality as ever--but so does the Annversary UK disc where they got their sources from.) Tales looks as good as I ever remember, but certainly not a huge remaster--and the (many) special features are all from the UK disc (at least they didn't have to change music like they did for their Queer as Folk--in fact this version is the first that uses the original Donna Summer, etc, tracks out of the three US releases there have been.)

Tales is wonderful-- The issue is the sequel series are owned by different people. (For some reason some small label did a good N America release of More, and Showtime DVD themselves did Further--all of them are fun but each is lower in quality--both the show and bonuses.) So a combined release will never happen. (I am sure you know the whole details about PBS co-funding the original and then getting scared off.)

Anyway, I'll let you know what I think of the show (and you're right--Americans do take soap more seriously if it has an accent.) I hope it sells decent enough by Acorn's low standards that season 2 might come too.

• Members

I watched it when it was first shown but thats as much as I remember lol

If I remember rightly, series 1 was first shown on Sky ( cable channel that not many had back in mid 90s) then shown on Ch4 ( 1 of our main channels, also shows Hollyoaks nowdays) Think ch4 showed it in the 6pm slot but for series 2 it mustve changed. As I remember asking my Mum to tape it while I was at School

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Watching a bit of the second season today and thought about this comment. Davies served as a consult season one and scripted several episodes. His episodes tended to be heavy with the religious element and really played up the element of good vs. evil. There is a very good speech between Eva and Liz in the church that ends one of his episodes that is particularly remarkable. I believe it ends with Eva talking about how those who God has forgotten will seek their vengeance as the century comes to a conclusion. Very ominous and Katharine Rogers delivers it fiercely. There are a couple standout writers in season one including Frank Boyle Cottrell who tends to write scripts with a lot of parallelism and plays with the time element in a very effective manner. Cottrell has only written one episode of season 2 so far of what I've seen and it's pretty well done. Season two's scripts don't appear as rich as season one, but are incredibly effective in other ways.

The show opens again with another mystery, but the audience is a bit more aware of the culprit as long as they've seen the previous season. It's an effective lead in and creates an interesting atmosphere. The writers do a fascinating job constructing, or should I say deconstructing, Eva as she is now trying to play the role of wife and mother, which she felt had unfairly taken from her. While Eva's revenge on Liz was fascinating was very plot heavy, it was all based on a rich, complex history which gave Eva valid motivation for every move she made. This season, Eva is slowly being undone by her own doing. She has set in motion the events that effect her and, while there are no big events, watching her slowly come apart and lose her power is fascinating.

The new characters aren't as developed as the first season batch, but they are still interesting. Sandra Mullvaney is clearly intended as Liz-lite, but she is more in control of her emotions than Liz ever was either before or after Eva made her presence clear. David Mullvaney has a confident ambivalence to the world is a different beat to play, but he speaks mainly in one liners.

Cornell was once quoted as saying this would basically have been a dry run for "Shameless" if Davies had introduced the supernatural in season one. I can see the comparison. Crissy Rock's Anita would have fit in in Chatswin Estates perfectly. The tight living quarters of the Freeman family is also very reminiscent of the housing of the Gallaghers. The music is also in the same vein as is the introduction of more technical elements (dream / fantasy sequences).

The second season seems to play up the supernatural angle, but they also don't really suggest the source. In the first season, most of the supernatural is directly related to Eva's magic with ghost Granddad offering up the only really bizarre element. In the second season, the material with Linda tends to be problematic because you never know if what she is saying is her own words of the words of others.

• 7 months later...

Archived