• Members

No she's mine too- I know she was a little Elle Woods cartoon-ish early on but I loved her from the first scene when she sauntered in with the pink shoes (maybe because I had faith this version of AMC would figure out how to make her more than just that). And like Eric said, the vixen role was a hole in the canvas prior to her arrival. I've been in heaven past 3 weeks where she's been featured heavily. And she plays well opposite everyone & factors into multiple stories which is how it should be with Adam's schemer daughter.

I guess I liked Ambyr's version enough, thought Brianne was terrible but liked the idea they were going for with nerdy Pete and had no opinions either way on Natalie Hall which might be the worst kind of reaction to a character. But Brooke Newton & the writers are just doing phenomenal here. Fourth time's the charm.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not strange at all.

I haven't chosen favorites yet but the character and the actress are really starting to hit their strides.

When the character first appeared on the scene, I was a bit concerned that the way wardrobe was outfitting her would be a little too much of a stereotype and distracting. And like clockwork, they varied the wardrobe and the characterization followed soon after.

Colby is somewhat outrageous and really doesn't have a filter. This can only ever be fun in a TV character.

• Members

I loved when Celia grew a little backbone with Colby and was all and you know what he looks at me A LOT. And like that before things came to blows with them this week, they had a human moment talking about Colby's family. That is how you do rivalry. Still not jumping on the Pete/Celia ship but I think they've successfully salvaged Celia for me and JLP can mostly thank Brooke Newton. But I'm also interested in the visions/guardian piece of the story. Wish we had gotten some follow-up with Celia & Dixie.

Colby's face when the bid was announced was just textbook classic, slightly campy soap b*tch. And I loved it. Loved the hair on the of them did not love either dress.

A few other thoughts:

--Couldn't figure how Race Wars was not railroading the thread but it makes sense now- no Hubbards this week. I think that was actually a good, needed break.

--Miranda flinging her undesirable shoes was wonderfully Erica/Kendall esque. And then she hit BCT. Just perfection.

---Of course Opal loved Heather's look. Heather kind of IS Opal. I don't know it took me so long to see that. I still love her though and hope they'll continue to use her once the AJ/Miranda romance begins.

--How did Colby who oversaw so many details of this gala let Opal handle the bidding on Pete? Didn't she see how that would go for her? At the same time, I loved it. And Pete/Opal are great---"And after dinner, who knows?" "I'll know"--- I smile every time they have scenes.

--I really thought based on some of the posts that Colvin did something impressive here. Oh well. He's pretty & humorous. But I do think the part could be more with a more capable actor & that the teen set needs another viable male character.

--I was bummed David told Colby they should cool it because I love his reactions to her. But then her forcing him to bid for her tells me that they'll remain allied & that's good enough for me. Although I enjoyed them being thrown together & thought he was very sweet with her at the hospital, I guess I knew it wasn't a longterm thing.

--Lea guarding Jane's was odd and I guess would have made more sense but for the cut scenes but I'm still intrigued by Jane. And it still blows my mind that I'm kind of rooting for Zach & Lea.

---Wish I hadn't watched the MORE previews- that would have been a really good surprise but I probably would have found out here before anyway. The previews in general looked amazing.

• Members

Oh you're right- I watched at the gym and must not have been watching that scene closely. Assumed they were at the station in the pre gala ep but that makes much more sense with the editing. Edited my post. The actual party area/carpet is kind of small (and I get the limitations but can't help flashing back to the Wildwind Crystal Balls of the past) but it does feel like a real big busy event with people beyond our characters.

• Members

Even though I'm getting a kick out of Colby, I think the writers failed to do more with explaining how she's totally done a 180 toward Brooke, aligning with David, etc? I think it's a great story, if the character of Colby hadn't been shown to have evolved during her five years or so on the Abc version of the show... I wish that the show had given more background to explain the change in her.

Plus, while I liked the scenes of her with Cassandra.. it seemed like two different Colby's.. with no clear cut explanation to show why.

• Members

what further explanation needs to be told? She came to town wanting money and Brooke, in control of Adam's assets shut her down. That's her reason for disliking her. Its really that simple. David is good sex. She didn't target him as a way to get at Brooke. She's multi-layered and just bc she's a selfish bitch, doesn't mean she cant be caring and have a heart. Her scenes with Cassie proved that

• Members

Colby was very much in favor of Brooke/Adam prior to the re-boot, I do think it is more complicated than Brooke simply turning her down, and I think there will be more explanation in the future, but I also think that this Colby is more in line with who the character should be based on her upbringing and parents.

• Members

Episode 49:

I liked Celia's daffy princess dress, I don't care what anyone says. I thought it fit the character and was cute. I was glad to see Evelyn. I'd like more Evelyn. And I really love Celia's mystery. They were smart to give Celia time off and let her be a little spikier and tougher with Colby; she's a lot more appealing to me now. Assuming she's headed for a meltdown, she's cued to only get more interesting, hopefully. But does she even know Dixie?

Jason Pendergraft is a beautiful man in other things, and in his IMDB photos, but on this show they make him look like Alfred Vanderpool or something. His hair makes him look like he's got a low-flow shower. It's not necessary to do all that to him. I am more than willing to give Anders a spin with Dixie but so far I think the writing for them is very clunky and expository, similar to how Pete and Celia's love story was at the beginning. It doesn't help that virtually no one takes Dixie seriously as a professional. I'm willing to, but they have to stop letting her swan in on a cloud and act like she's been doing this for a hundred years. Let her be a little less New Age, and let them talk.

I love how much time they keep giving her to Opal, and to Opal and Pete's relationship - I think it's too easy for people to dismiss Rob Wilson as a pretty boy and Pete as a brash, sometimes crass hunk, but he's more than that. Pete's love and support for his mother is too rarely seen on soaps today, and it's another facet of his confident, swaggering character. I don't mind swagger or brash attitude when a guy is a sweetheart to his mama. I also love that Jill Larson got to articulate onscreen that Opal's ready to live for herself, not for Erica or Tad. That's so important. It's why I still hold a bit of a torch for her and Dimitri, but I'll take someone new just as well.

The A.J./Miranda/Heather stuff was cute. They're smart to keep using Zach in the Bianca role in a pinch, because it reinforces the connectivity and history of these families with very little effort and no forced usage. I'm sure I've said this before, but I really like Stevie Steel's eccentric delivery - it's very real, very true to life of some girls; it reminds me a lot of Farah Fath back in the old days on DOOL, actually, before they made her a big lead on that or OLTL. (She had good times on OLTL too, but not too many in the last few years when they thought she could run the show.)

I like how they've reinforced that Colby's persona is, in fact, a persona - the person she is with these people is night and day from her with Cassandra. But it's what she feels she must do to survive.

I have to say that while I have faith in the new HW team, I keep seeing McPherson and Connor's names up front and I worry a bit about the tone and focus of the show changing back to the old ways when the changeover happens, or assuming that, as rumored, the season break causes them to reevaluate the cast or stories based on feedback, there will be major changes. I just hope it's not too drastic. There's so much to work with here, and very, very little I'd change. I wouldn't want to see the tone or texture of the new AMC to change at all - it's just wonderful.

• Members

Ep. 50

The gala is exactly the kind of soapy stuff that always makes me wince and smile at the same time. The idea that the Chandler Media gala in sleepy Pine Valley, PA would have a livestream red carpet complete with "Who are you wearing?" commentary is delightfully ludicrous and yet, it's a soap staple.

As I've said numerous times, I hate the bachelor auction conceit but it made for nice drama. It made Celia - who I thought looked absolutely lovely - interesting because now we know that 1.) somebody out there has got her back and 2.) he is keeping much closer tabs on her than we have seen in the past. It's one thing to hear about the mysterious guardian but it was nice to see him in action.

I'm not seeing the big difference in Hunter but I did like that we finally got to see his parents. Didn't JR supposedly have a conversation with them after Hunter beat up AJ? (Another one for the "should've happened onscreen" file.) I hope the Morrisons will become part of the canvas. We're missing the snotty blue blood contingent that has always been part of PV.

Zach may be a dick in a lot of ways but the show has made a very good decision by showcasing him as a doting uncle. I feel that same steady love between Miranda and Zach as I do between Pete and Opal. What I don't need to see is Lea prostrating herself to him just for doing her job. I wasn't her job to save Jesse from himself. As for Zach comparing Lea to Kendall? Bitch please. Your marriage was nothing but sewer of dysfunction. Don't inflict your emotional bull on Lea.

Colby, Colby, Colby...child, you are the picture of desperation. Everything she doing is designed to get the attention of Pete and Adam and Lawd help anyone like Brooke or JR who tries to show you some concern instead.

The fashions and hair were lovely with the exception of Heather looking like a Downton Abbey reject. Cara in that Olivia Pope white dress made me nervous. One crying jag and it's going to be ruined.

Loved Opal's spidey-sense tingling. Too bad she wasn't picking up on Billy Clyde's skulking around.

• Members

Now that Jesse is out of work, having resigned as COP, he can run for Mayor of Pine Valley. I would think that Mayor Branco would be out of office by now. Jesse Hubbard was at one time a Coucilman of Pine Valley, so the progression would be Mayor, politically for Jesse. Agnes Nixon is great with social issues so Jesse could be the FIRST AA/Black Mayor of Pine Valley.

Archived