AMC/OLTL: What PP should have done IMO

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't have any agenda, but I have been very busy this summer and it's been a number of years since I've been in the habit of watching a soap (way before the ABC versions of these shows gasped their last breaths). At first it was comforting to have these shows back in my life at a stressful time and I was fairly positive about them at first. But when all of this upheaval happened, it seemed like deja vu and not something I needed to be devoting time to on a daily basis. I'm not up to date on the latest plot developments (clearly), but I don't feel that that means I don't have a leg to stand on.

I gave these shows a chance to turn over a new leaf when PP relaunched them, and as far as I'm concerned, the goodwill was squandered with all of the chaos that ensued. Replacing the head writing teams at both shows, cutting the amount of episodes in half, blaming me (and all the other viewers) for not watching when we were supposed to watch...all within the first two months on air? Regardless of the outcome of one particular storyline, I still don't see myself giving them another chance long-term until there has been some stability for at least a few months.

That was my initial point, and that was why I weighed in on this particular topic, about whether PP could have fulfilled their contractual obligation by testing the waters with something like a movie in time for the deadline, while being more methodical about working out the finer points of a long-term business model. I still think that would have been preferable - even if these writers manage to retroactively make the audience understand why day after day of Celia talking about her guardian was crucial, in addition to explaining every other writing choice that the previous PTB made.

Now, as far as the particulars of the stories that I have admittedly not been watching for two months, I actually didn't know Cassandra had the abortion. I'm glad to hear that whoever is/was in charge at the time did not pursue some ludicrous scenario of Cassandra carrying this baby to term and it being presented as a miracle, which I have no doubt would have been the outcome on a network soap. I'll try to seek that episode out. I'm sure the acting was great with the cast members involved, and that's great that the script apparently did them justice. Again, I do hope it is indicative of good things to come.

I did watch up until Cassandra was brought back and I did follow the plot points that led up to it, I just don't think it was very plausible and it seemed like complete deus ex machina. I still believe that. Again, I'm glad to hear that the show isn't necessarily shying away from controversial, reality-based storytelling now, which was what I initially assumed was the reasoning for getting Cassandra out of that predicament so abruptly. But I do think there was, for whatever reason, a change in direction mid-stream. And I don't think the heroine of a story that's fundamentally about women being in one of the most powerless situations imaginable should have been unconscious during the climax - that seems wrong to me on so many levels, in terms of the implications, the pacing, and just basic storytelling.

• Members

But it wasn't the climax. The story isn't over. Because Jesse's secret deal is the reason she was brought back, everyone questioned why, his actions spun out of control, and the men responsible are still very noticeably on the loose.

And I have no sense they changed it. There's more than one key episode to the abortion material. And if you're only watching one because you're insisting to yourself that AMC has drastically changed mid-stream (I'm pretty sure it hasn't, and I think most of us will agree) you're missing out.

• Members

I agree totally- AMC has exceeded every expectation I had going in and really I've enjoyed both the Hubbard story and the show more overall since around the time right after Cass was rescued.

The new writers were named after AMC concluded all its taping (and all of the scheduling tweaks too I think or maybe the first reduction happened their last week of taping) so I don't think there would have even been any big opportunity to shift course because they only had so much in the can. I think there have been some edits for time and scheduling but nothing that indicates that the show is veering in a different direction- especially with the Cass story.

• Members

I know this is a crazy fan type thing to say, and I apologize, but Delilah it almost seems like you're working too hard to come up with reasons to justify to yourself not watching. Which I guess is fine, but very little of what you say has any reflection in the actual show... (And I don't really see how it's deus ex machine to have Cass delivered as she was--it was part of a bargain Jesse made which has had huge ramifications and in no way was a tidy ending to the story.)

• Members

ITA with all three of you. DeliaIrisFan, nobody is saying you have to watch, but like Eric said, it sounds like you're making excuses not to. If you want to catch up, you need to watch more than just 1 episode concerning Cassandra's abortion to get the full impact of that story.

• Members

OK, so the new writers' work hasn't even begun airing. Even if the previous writers did find their groove - after I stopped watching, it sounds like you're saying - they are now gone. What head writer change in the history of soaps have ever proceeded seamlessly? That's my problem. I kept watching network soaps for too long through revolving doors of writers, hoping the next one would be an improvement, and in hindsight the turnover was itself a big portion of the problem.

Actually, I was looking for excuses TO watch. There were flaws from the beginning, which was to be expected - frankly, a lot less than I would have thought, given how quickly it all came together - and I kept an open mind through some stories that weren't even necessarily my cup of tea.

I did watch a couple of episodes surrounding Cassandra's abortion. Yeah, I don't know the context, but after all of these months, I have to say the Celia character still came across to me as a complete drip and, outside of the writer who created her, I don't think anyone stepping up to a position in which their predecessor lasted less than three months would decide to keep showcasing this character at their own peril. I found myself hoping that the new team will cut their losses on that front, not that the character/story would surprise me and I'd understand what somebody saw in her. I think that's a cynical way to watch a continuing drama, especially in a format where we still spend a great deal of time with these characters compared to other shows; looking back, I regret spending as much time as I did watching in that way on the networks.

That's not an excuse, and I'm not telling anyone else not to enjoy the shows now. I'm not posting responses to commentary on the day-to-day episodes criticizing material that I haven't seen (in fact, I prefaced what I wrote by acknowledging that I haven't watched in two months or so). I'm glad others are enjoying, and I truly hope they continue to despite the behind-the-scenes changes. If these new writers turn out to be great and are empowered to turn out good material for a long time to come, then I'll be very happy, and again I'll probably watch again at some point.

But especially if that turns out to be the case, looking back at what I did see of the original material, I do think PP would have been better off delaying ongoing production until they had the more permanent team in place. That's why I responded to this topic, because the "what if" was interesting to me.

• Members

Again, the new writers have been on staff since the start, have been breaking down and dialoguing these episodes all along and have a long history with AMC. I see no reason to expect some horrific change unlike any other potential HW change we see on any soap opera and have seen for decades.

As for Celia, I'm pretty sure she was largely an Agnes creation. She's also not been on much at all lately, and when she has they've emphasized the part of her story that works - the childhood mystery.

You can do what you like if you insist on waiting until these writers are gone, but IMO you're only hurting yourself not watching the rest of what has been a fantastic first round of AMC 2.0. And I think you're both oversimplifying and overexaggerating the standard BTS creative changes on any show in primetime or daytime, as well as the natural hurdles and hiccups of any production process on a 'new' soap opera, which always have these kind of changes and bumps in the road out of the gate. They're also promoting people from within who know these stories inside and out. Believe me, I wish OLTL had been having this kind of "bumpy ride". It ranges from good to a mess with glimpses of great on any given day, but it's not nearly as good or consistent as AMC.

• Members

The "new" Headwriting team were the same writers during the final years of AMC on ABC that got the show into cancellation and sent viewership down in ratings. Yes, Chip Hayes and Lisa Conner were on the writing team during those 2000's final years that sent the show into cancellation so I don't think they will do very much better than the fired team did. Knowing a show does not necessarily equate success.

All soaps these days have their list of staple and routine storylines with very little imagination and creativity not to mention little originality. It is a vicious cycle of repeating the same ol' or stealing storyline ideas from other soap operas. Viewership has declined in Soap Operas/Serial drama's because of lack of originality and not being able to come up with fresh ideas.

Daytime Soaps are a dying breed, hanging on by a thread and no longer getting long term deals from networks anymore. And online shows are coming and going too. Just because a show is online does not mean longevity and can be taken off anytime too. The internet has given an alternative for shows and viewership to add variety in viewers tastes and preferences.

AMC new writing team will have to offer something to PP to get them to give a 2nd season and make it worth their investment, for sure. I think some better forward progress is going to be critical and move on to other characters that have not had the opportunity for decent storyline in this first year of production. Celia storyline is stagnating. Get Griffin back ASAP.

For long term survival a show cannot continue to say bumps and hiccups and experimental phase, sudden changes out of nowhere, and other things that it is OK for now to say. I think that a 2nd year will happen but for a 3rd year to happen, AMC will have to calm down, settle down, and get a fixed structure firmly in place to see a 3rd year happen. A 2nd year, 2014, will be alot and tell alot, overall.

Yes PP will have to give the actors guarantees and set in stone scheduling so they can be able to have more time for other projects. It is time for PP to make up their minds. Besides the actors reps will be getting down to the serious brass tacks on re-negotiating a new contract for 2014 and making demands and other things to signing another contract with the show. It won't be like the last time with negotiatons and signing the 1 year deal.

Hopefully, things will be more stable with the hopes of a 2nd year in the CT studios.

• Members

Sigh. I'll just address two points, because Linda your post was too repetitive to bother addressing more of.

YOU are the one who has repeatedly said the show should acknowledge more of its last few years. I don;';t agree, but you are contradicting yourself--as usual.

A writer who was one of the major writers of the show for the mid 90s and whose opinion I trust (many on here know who I mean) has said he thinks Lisa Connor is one of the best possible choices and that she had great ideas for the show on the network that was constantly turned down--at PP that is less likely to happen. However, you have spoken out against stories, like the human trafficking one, that do exactly what you claim you think soaps should do--tell new and different kinds of stories.

DeliaIris sorry if I sounded like I was attacking you--I tried to keep my tone clear, but probably did sound overly defensive. You're right, you did make it clear you hadn't been watching, and everything else you said. I guess that was partly where I was going off of, however--that I thought if you had been watching regularly--judging by what you said--you would come around and see, IMHO some of your fears were unfounded. I do see where you're coming from as a burned viewer, for sure.

Archived