• Members

Why am I even justifying this with an answer. AS Black Jesse would say "Are You Insane Woman?"

I am a man of (partial) colour and I find your opinion, frankly, racist--and much more so than I've seen on this show. You, lady, are racist for treating a character based on his skin and not just as a fallible human being.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh Eric, black people aren't allowed to he called out when they have done wrong and if you think otherwise you are a racist! Anything less than a saint like portrayals of god fearing upstanding black folk is completely unacceptable and those who write anything less clearly are spreading their own prejudice agenda

• Members

To continue on my rant--Linda, I think you win the award for the most offensive post. I would hate to see a TV show that you were in charge of. I think Jesse, as portrayed, is shown as a man who has made too many mistakes but for the right reasons. Any person--regardless of race or gender--can relate to that, and it makes for good and, dare I say, thought provoking, tv.

• Members

Some random thoughts:

I loved the David-Jesse confrontation. Very powerful.

I'm loving Brooke Newton's Colby and Jordan Lane Price is growing on me.

I didn't care for Zack referring to Heather as a trollop. That just seemed so out of the blue and inappropriate.

• Members

I keep trying to hold off on watching the second episode but all this talk about the David/Jesse fight makes that hard. That's been my problem for the last three weeks: all the good Hubbard action happens in the second episode. Last week it was Cass/Colby and the week before it was Angie finally reading Jesse on his lies.

• Members

I wasn't going to respond to the nonsense about racist overtones, but screw it. No, I don't see racist overtones. Rather, I see writers who are attempting to layer the character of Jesse in many ways -- some positive, some negative, just like every other character on "All My Children." Just because the character is black doesn't mean that he needs to be shown in a positive light all the freaking time. Some years back, I worked with three black women and we would watch soaps during our lunch hour. They loved the fact that Dru on Young and the Restless wasn't sweet but had an edge and would speak her mind no matter what. They loved that Doreen on Generations was a calculating bitch, not unlike Erica Kane. They never alleged racism but loved that their favorite characters were being depicted as multi-layered characters.

• Members

This is the most balanced writing Jesse has had since he came back from the dead. You can have Angie lash out at him and be angry yet still stand by and support him. He has a true friend in Zach who understands and gets him and then he had an enemy in David that draws attention to the fact that he isn't much different than him. He doe wrong and now faces the consequences rather than his sins be swept under the rug or excused. Jesse is flawed and multilayered with good and bad. He's human and I would say that makes for a more well rounded character than he simply being hero with no imperfections. The writing has people talking about him and that's better than being a bore that doesn't inspire any reaction

• Members

Jesse and David's confrontation was the best part of either episode, so good. Jesse has the most obscure and hilarious lines, "sick, inbred mutt in heat" was crazy funny. Both those actors were killing it in that scene, I tweeted about it and Vincent replied to me, which was cool.

• Members

A few notes. I am white my husband of 40 years is Black. He is from the South (MIss) and has experienced white men in his face. Lynchings too. I am from California. The vision we have the general public for the most part don't have. We see both sides of the railroad track and live it too. So I am in Jesse's corner.

This is why I was questioning the racial undertones of the David/Jesse in your face scenes and why men of color today are desperately seeking better portrayal in a more positive light of characters of color. Why I am simply questioning the writing of the character of Jesse and how to make him in a positive light more successfully to provide better representation.

A few notes. I am white my husband of 40 years is Black. He is from the South (MIss) and has experienced white men in his face. Lynchings too. I am from California. The vision we have the general public for the most part don't have. We see both sides of the railroad track and live it too. So I am in Jesse's corner.

This is why I was questioning the racial undertones of the David/Jesse in your face scenes and why men of color today are desperately seeking better portrayal in a more positive light of characters of color. Why I am simply questioning the writing of the character of Jesse and how to make him in a positive light more successfully to provide better representation.

Archived